South Coast - Jervis Bay Rck Platforms?

loomylover

Hi Guys,

A few mates and i are contemplating heading down south to Terrorise the kingfish populations (or vice verca) - around the Jervis Bay area. :1fishing1:

Ive heard alot of stuff about the Tubes but have never really considered going until recently. So whats the go with this place, in relation to access and best times of year?

If anyone could provide some information on accessing the place, and directions it would be GREATLY appreciated. I will emphasise that myself and a couple of close fishing mates are all environmental conscious fisherman who respect fishing locations and the environment - as ive heard the place has been subject to a few "$%#heads" in the past. :1badmood::05:

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Guys,

A few mates and i are contemplating heading down south to Terrorise the kingfish populations (or vice verca) - around the Jervis Bay area. :1fishing1:

Ive heard alot of stuff about the Tubes but have never really considered going until recently. So whats the go with this place, in relation to access and best times of year?

Hi Anthony , I have fished the JB ledges for years and hooked and landed many a fine king as well as many other pelagic fish . The Outer Torpedo Tubes you speek of is at the end of the Point Perpendicular Lighthouse dirt road.Travel towards Currarong from Nowra and its the last dirt road on the right hand side before you hit the township.There are boom gates there with a ranger station as u go in .If the orange flags are flying when u arrive the Navy will be conducting live firing on the Drum and Drumsticks which is out the front and you will not be allowed to enter :thumbdown: Once you get to the carpark head west till your reach a large sandstone ledge which takes you about twenty minutes to walk to ,on the other side of this large ledge is the concrete paltform you are seeking .The old torpedo tubes are no more as they have rusted away now .Prime time to catch livies is well before the sun gets up so be early and spin for a few frigates or bonito to use if you are after the big KINGS and by big i mean big and nasty .There are two large boulders just in front of the platform which they love to reef you on so Good Luck :074: . The biggest I got out was 12.5 kgs on a live frigate and many more unstoppables .There is a Blue Groper ledge to the right which is very good and red bait crabs are easy to gather on the lower ledges If you have problems there try the Big Beecroft ledge near the town ship ,its about thirty minute easy walk in,and you have access to very deep water .Pm me if you need more info :biggrin2:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Edited by Guest

Guest maraudingmado

When walking down to the Outer Tubes platform be very careful where you walk as I had friends who walked in at night. They followed what they thought was the track but was a dry water course. It went to a cliff above the Tubes. It was only a pure fluke that they noticed the dropoff before heading over the edge. :05:

As Swordfisherman states there are some HUGEkingies to be caught/lost/sighted there. We have had them to approx 25-30kgs cruising in amongst the garfish we burleyed up. As you can guess although hooked none were caught :( We also have had yellowfin tuna, sharks, marlin, big trevally(where did he come from???), big schools of luderick, groper etc. With the onset of the holidays I can only imagine how packed it will be. Good luck and hoping to see some pictures of big fish :thumbup:

Didn't they also catch marlin of the tubes.. I am sure i wathced a video once where these guys get around 5 in a day off this spot it wasn't realy old footage either)

I fished the tubes once, didn't get anything, but did see one kingie doing laps up and down the ledge ( I think he was giving us "the flipper")...good spot, but can get a little crowded.

Guest maraudingmado

Yes they did catch marlin off the Tubes. I have been there and sighted them jumping approx 200m off the rocks and another jump his way around the headland. Unfortunately there is a lot of boats(both fisho's and divers) that like to come right in under your lines :1badmood::1badmood:

We actually had a family come down one time(Dad, Mum and 2 kids) and wanted to swim where we were fishing :mad3: . My friend offered the father his livie and asked if he could take it out about 50m to where a shark was swimming around. They soon got the hint and left.

Thanks for the input guys, its all very appreciated :1prop:

Me and the guys have had a few less intense trips in the region and i was just amazed at how beautiful the whole place was. We've fished steamers beach in the national park a fair bit now and the amount of tailor and salmon at the place has to be seen to be believed, the place is an absolute paradise. This was great to wet our appetite - but its time for the main course :1fishing1:

I was actually thinking of heading sometime in January - but as maraudingmado pointed out, holiday time the place will be absolutely chocks. How does it handle numbers and how many people would one expect midweek at the place (non-holday time)?

Might prolong the trip to February when everyones back at work and school.

Keep the input coming guys - all very valuable.

The Tubes is always packed in the "PRIME MONTHS" of JANUARY and FEB ,most LBG guys are in search of Marlin and it can get crowded every single day .Mid week is always a better option ,as i said before the Beecroft headland can handle a lot more people and you have a good as chance as any tangling with big kings out there as anywhere else .Live bait is a little harder to come by out the front and an option is to go to Greenwell Point wharf and catch your supply and carry them in :biggrin2: . If the frigates turn up at any time they make an awesome bait for the larger pelagics either free swimming or under a balloon . The idea with the free swimmers is to free spool the frigate on just a heavy trace around 150 lb jinkai and let it go out till it slows then reel it back to the rocks to keep the water going through its gills and repeat that task untill it gets eaten :1yikes: or dies and then you can add a balloon and maybe wire and hang it out as a dead bait for a shark perhaps .Garfish are a great bait for kings as well and if you berley with bread they may come around ,with a small cork and a piece of bread or a tiny peice of prawn on a no 10 long shank you can get a supply of these for your live bait pool and hooked thru the tail on the lower side make great surface baits .

Hope to see some monsters from the stones lads and best of luck with the crowds ,remember courtesy on the rocks ,tempers can become frayed with so many live baits out so if you are spinning for baits stay well away from the balloons and torpedo floats and remember it is not a rubbish dump out on the rocks so whatever you take out there dont leave it there especially plastic bags :biggrin2:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Edited by Guest

Ok loomylover, This is the best i can come up with for a walk into Beecroft ,always remember a new spot is always best attacked in the "DAYLIGHT HOURS" for safety reasons .If in doubt ask the local shop owners ,particularly the local fish shop ,ask for Phil he will be happy to assist you I'm sure :biggrin2:

post-256-1135727044_thumb.jpg

Cheers Swordfisherman

Ok loomylover, This is the best i can come up with for a walk into Beecroft ,always remember a new spot is always best attacked in the "DAYLIGHT HOURS" for safety reasons .If in doubt ask the local shop owners ,particularly the local fish shop ,ask for Phil he will be happy to assist you I'm sure :biggrin2:

post-256-1135727044_thumb.jpg

Cheers Swordfisherman

Geez what an awesome site to gather so much info on.

Cheers swordfisho, that diagram is about about concise and clear as they come and we should have no worries accessing that spot or indeed the tubes.

Do any of the mentioned spots require one to climb down the cliff face in order to access it?

Cheers

Anthony

No these spots are ok to access unlike some of the others around the front for example Diamond head and the Ladders another good spot is Eves Ravine which is on the southern side of the bay when u get to Big Beecroft ,but its not a big platform and quite high off the water .If you are intending to gaff a large fish here a flying gaff or at least a 9inch fixed head with a very strong handle is advisable .But I will reiterate that all spots like these you need caution ,there are rocks and some difficult ledges to negoiate at times ,even the Tubes has the last little bit a little bit tricky if you are unsteady on your feet , So just take your time going into these spots please ,ROCKS can become loose over time and never get to close to the edge of cliffs ,especially SANDSTONE ones which can give way at any time .I hope this has helped mate :biggrin2:

Cheers Swordfisherman