Crowdy Head- Time away with the boy!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Being a father of four kids, it’s very difficult to get one on one time with my kids. But finally the planets aligned and I headed to crowdy with my eldest. 
We stayed the night and got up early to beat the ramp traffic with conditions looking mint. Got there first all prepared ready to go. Headed out to collect livies but they were hard to come by. Managed a few and didn’t want to waste too much time, so we headed to our mark to start our drift. Deployed livie and begin to cast. Wasn’t marking much on the sounder, so I started the boat and just ticked it in gear until I found what I was looking for. Huge marks on the sounder so I turned off the engine and began casting.  Two casts later, I’m on and the reel is screaming. I set the hook hard and behind me I hear another screaming and the boys on, we are doubled up! A good 10 mins later I hear the boy calling “jewy jewy”. And what a stonker! We must of hit a school. My fish is still giving me grief. We land his and now turn our attention to mine! A couple minutes later in sight of the boat, my heart sinks! A FRIGGIN MACK TUNA!!! Nooooo! 
Anyway, high fives for the boys new pb and we clear the decks and move on! 
Next drift, bang I’m on to a huge snapper and manage to stop his run and pop! My bad, didn’t set the hook. Wind in the slack and bang I’m on again but this time to a healthy pannie! 
We lost a couple of livies to more Mack tuna but nothing of interest. Called it quits and headed back early, to reset, lunch, quick snooze and back out for an afternoon session. 
The arvo session was a pretty good with a few more pannies, a decent snapper from yours truly and more Mack tuna. 
Gave up after the last macky was caught and went back to the cabin for dinner, reflection and a well earnt beer! 

Just awesome to spend some time with my boy and make some memories! 

Thanks for reading, 

cheers scratchie!!! 

DAD59B53-9E2E-4F6A-8704-989DAE15CD3C.thumb.jpeg.0499b7b82d6529b1cd688f9abcd29f8b.jpeg

A83843C7-BA36-4D34-A8D1-B3DEAA442FA2.thumb.png.b8e55939ab2395cf1d566f0f586d40d7.png

E46C7A10-5991-4569-B757-E9AD93EE1349.thumb.jpeg.bc99889a42ae1808b8547f34f98c57a0.jpeg

• Like 26

1 minute ago, Brendan Monks said:

Great report and even better photos Jeff!!👌

My mate has been up there the last few days chasing the pointy things, F*@# work that I couldn't make it up there as well. 😅

Cheers mate.
Is your mate named Matt by any chance? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Nice jew jeff

Cheers Rick. 
Have you given up fishing? 🤣

43 minutes ago, Reel’em said:

What a beautiful looking jewy!! Good to see some quality Dad-Son time. Love those photos.

Thanks mate. We’ve had an absolute blast. A heap of laughs and the boy gets a pb, perfect quality time! 

7 hours ago, dlvbw said:

Epic as always Jeff! 

Thanks

4 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report. Super photos. Fishing with your children doesn't get better than that.

Cheers.

Cheers rebel., it sure doesn’t 👍

4 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice fish again Scratchie.

Mack tuna 🤪

How big is the jew?

I’m a Mack tuna magnet 😩😩😩

Jew went 125 and 15kg. Solid effort on a snapper stick 🤙

Thanks for the report Scratchie. It has been challenging up here the last 3 weeks. As you discovered the Mac Tuna are are consistent nuisance and if you do hook up to the target species they are more often than not "taxed" by the grey suits. Which is unusual as past years there was little, if any, tax. I wonder if its the combination of the floods and the impending mullet run. The situation has resulted in a change of tactics to target the snapper. Consistent reports of Cobia along the coast from the LBG guys. Tight lines. Hoods.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoods said:

Thanks for the report Scratchie. It has been challenging up here the last 3 weeks. As you discovered the Mac Tuna are are consistent nuisance and if you do hook up to the target species they are more often than not "taxed" by the grey suits. Which is unusual as past years there was little, if any, tax. I wonder if its the combination of the floods and the impending mullet run. The situation has resulted in a change of tactics to target the snapper. Consistent reports of Cobia along the coast from the LBG guys. Tight lines. Hoods.

Cheers hoods. I heard about the cobia up there which is what made me head up that way. They are my nemesis 🤬🤬🤬

I’m a bloody Mack tuna magnet. The bastards follow me everywhere. We constantly had two livies out on our drift. One free swimming and one on a float. Then kept casting for snapper ahead of us. Hard work having to wind in livies and reset your drift every time especially after you’ve just put in 50 casts. But we stuck to the program and pulled some good fish and unfortunately lost some better ones! 
The water was alive at times with frigates and mackeral producing plenty of bust ups. 
Not bad for the second time I’ve been there exploring new ground. I know my son is happy with his results! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

I heard about the cobia up there which is what made me head up that way. They are my nemesis 🤬🤬🤬

I

Come to Port Hacking and I will show you how to catch them on a hand line.  :074:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

I’m a Mack tuna magnet 😩😩😩

Jew went 125 and 15kg. Solid effort on a snapper stick 🤙

It is a good sized jew. Great effort by the young bloke.

• Thanks 1

Good to hear you had a quality one on one getaway with scratchie junior who looks totally over the moon with his upgrade, cracker jewie 👍

Great read, fish & photos as usual Jeff😎

P.S any chance of getting you onboard if I need some Mack’s for bait 😂🤣

Edited by 61 crusher

Just now, 61 crusher said:

Good to hear you had a quality one on one session with scratchie junior who looks totally over the moon with his upgrade, cracker jewie 👍

Great read & photos as usual Jeff

P.S any chance of getting you onboard if I need some Mack’s for bait 😂🤣

Sure Dieter! Just let me know when you want to head up and I’ll almost guarantee you some 🤣🤣

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scratchie said:

No worries 😉 where do you plan to fish? 

Was going to try for an early start at Curphy Shoal, then maybe head down towards Diamond Head for an explore.  Have picked up the map from the Marine Rescue on a previous trip.

More than happy to take suggestions.  What general direction did you head?