Boat trailer build

frankS

17 minutes ago, dunc333 said:

nice welds on those brackets to .thankyou for teaching me on dont mix up grinder blades on different metals before welding ,i feel so happy when i learn something new ,makes alot of sense but never thought of it cheers dunc333

Dunc. Same with brushes and anything you use for metal should not come anywhere near Aluminium. Be careful when working with alloy . Don't even lay the Stainless Steel brush on a steel welding table.

Frank

On 4/26/2021 at 6:36 PM, frankS said:

Adrian. You are very welcome to come anytime and I would show you the fundamentals of welding, Steel Alloys and Stainless all have their different settings etc. I do stick M I G and T I G welding but mostly T I G these days especially with alloy and Stainless.

My welds are far better when I can sit down and brace my hands rather than standing or stooping over etc, just getting too shaky for that, but unfortunately there are times where you just can't get to a weld when seated.

With Alloy welding the main thing is clean material, and I have individual grinders, brushes and fluids for each material and each one does not touch the other material.

Frank

Thanks for the offer Frank, much appreciated.

I will be out that way in the next week or two but not sure on a day so will give you a heads up prior.

This is one of those things that most people cant imagine doing themselves as its now about just spending the money & putting one on order from the major or local manufacturers.

Still if you have the facility, equipment & the gumption + determination you can do anything.

I also really want to learn blacksmithing as well with the aim mainly to produce my own brand of knives, being a chef & all.

Life is getting on a bit @ 53 but these things are still easily achievable goals & on the bucket list.

We should always feel the need to constantly test ourselves, learn new skills & also appreciate & keep old skills alive.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

I also really want to learn blacksmithing as well with the aim mainly to produce my own brand of knives, being a chef & all.

Have you seen @Fab1 post when he made a knife from a file for his son? I enjoyed that one.

Trades like blacksmith will probably never completely disappear but its a shame people with the skills are far fewer.   My “uncle” was a blacksmith for Canterbury council I’d bet there isn’t a council in Australia with a blacksmith now.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Welster said:

Have you seen @Fab1 post when he made a knife from a file for his son? I enjoyed that one.

Trades like blacksmith will probably never completely disappear but its a shame people with the skills are far fewer.   My “uncle” was a blacksmith for Canterbury council I’d bet there isn’t a council in Australia with a blacksmith now.  

That is interesting about your uncle, I wonder what he was producing??

I think to some degree smithing still goes on in only a few facets these days like in the horse racing industry plus maybe in the arts.

There is a healthy resurgence in bladesmithing as well.

Getting off track on this post but hey we are still talking all things diy.

38 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

That is interesting about your uncle, I wonder what he was producing??

I think to some degree smithing still goes on in only a few facets these days like in the horse racing industry plus maybe in the arts.

There is a healthy resurgence in bladesmithing as well.

Getting off track on this post but hey we are still talking all things diy.

Yeah a bit off track sorry Frank but I think we all appreciate the skills some people accumulate over a lifetime.  

As for my Uncle dad would know more of what he did for the council than me.  I do know he won some awards for vandal proof locks and Stevens Reserve on Stacey St was named in recognition of his service.  I will inherit his car stands one day hopefully in the very distant future. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, frankS said:

Zoran. I have 2 close to me one on Parramatta rd Lidcombe but I generally use the one on Rawson rd Auburn, that way I don't have to go onto Parramatta rd.

Why do you ask ?.

Frank

Just trying to see if there’s one closer or more accessible. I’ve used the one on Windsor rd previously.
Cheers Z

13 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Thanks for the offer Frank, much appreciated.

I will be out that way in the next week or two but not sure on a day so will give you a heads up prior.

This is one of those things that most people cant imagine doing themselves as its now about just spending the money & putting one on order from the major or local manufacturers.

Still if you have the facility, equipment & the gumption + determination you can do anything.

Life is getting on a bit @ 53 but these things are still easily achievable goals & on the bucket list.

We should always feel the need to constantly test ourselves, learn new skills & also appreciate & keep old skills alive.

Kingie. If you want to try your hand at Blacksmithing. I have an old Blacksmith's Forge here that you are welcome to take off my hands. It's very heavy duty on a tripod of steel legs, and you turn a handle to rev up the turbo burner, needs some tender loving care to get it back to top working order but that could be a starter project to begin with.

I haven't used it for a number of years, but it is well salvageable and I would guess a collectors item. You are welcome to it.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, frankS said:

Kingie. If you want to try your hand at Blacksmithing. I have an old Blacksmith's Forge here that you are welcome to take off my hands. It's very heavy duty on a tripod of steel legs, and you turn a handle to rev up the turbo burner, needs some tender loving care to get it back to top working order but that could be a starter project to begin with.

I haven't used it for a number of years, but it is well salvageable and I would guess a collectors item. You are welcome to it.

Frank

Wow, thats cool, thank you for the offer Frank.

So its a coal forge then by the sound of it?

I would certainly like to check it out when I come over :thumbup:

Cheers 🙂

Cole forge ? Yes I think you are right. I will try and take a photo of it , IF I can get past a number of other obstacles in the way, and post here so you will know what you are up against.

And guys I don't mind a bit of off topic chat, it all adds to the conversation, and that's what the site is all about.

Frank

Edited by frankS
added text
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

kingie and others. Here is a photo of the forge, not detailed but will give some idea of what it is.

forge.thumb.jpg.002acd1cdc70b80c3dd13ebf21aaa78e.jpg

And while I am on the subject of giving OLD stuff away, Anyone interested in and OLD hand driven Cement Mixer ?. Like a wheel barrow type thing for wheeling around.

29401704_cementmixer.thumb.jpg.bbae79de2312a679a86c5c507e935fe4.jpg

Or perhaps a live bait tank, I would guess around 800 ltrs capacity. I used to put about 12 inches of salt water in the bottom place a dozen or so livies in it and it would keep them alive for several days with just the occasional aeration of the water. It's on heavy duty casters so it can be moved around and the tub is Stainless steel.

493792554_livebaittank.thumb.jpg.0082b3530f5557ef1614d082326587a9.jpg

Any of these items can be picked up from Berala/Lidcombe . Just keep in mind these are all heavy items and will take some muscle to get them from their storage place. I can assist a tiny bit but not a lot. And will require some TLC to restore.

Frank

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, frankS said:

kingie and others. Here is a photo of the forge, not detailed but will give some idea of what it is.

forge.thumb.jpg.002acd1cdc70b80c3dd13ebf21aaa78e.jpg

And while I am on the subject of giving OLD stuff away, Anyone interested in and OLD hand driven Cement Mixer ?. Like a wheel barrow type thing for wheeling around.

29401704_cementmixer.thumb.jpg.bbae79de2312a679a86c5c507e935fe4.jpg

Or perhaps a live bait tank, I would guess around 800 ltrs capacity. I used to put about 12 inches of salt water in the bottom place a dozen or so livies in it and it would keep them alive for several days with just the occasional aeration of the water. It's on heavy duty casters so it can be moved around and the tub is Stainless steel.

493792554_livebaittank.thumb.jpg.0082b3530f5557ef1614d082326587a9.jpg

Any of these items can be picked up from Berala/Lidcombe . Just keep in mind these are all heavy items and will take some muscle to get them from their storage place. I can assist a tiny bit but not a lot. And will require some TLC to restore.

Frank

I'll take the forge thanks Frank.

Even if I dont get it running I recon it would be a great decorative piece for my future man cave :thumbup:

Edited by kingie chaser

On 4/28/2021 at 3:29 PM, motiondave said:

800litre tank? That's enormous! That's box trailer size

Just guessing the volume. I don't know how to calculate volume in a round vessel I do know how it's done in square or rectangle vessel's but I left school at 13 . Anyhow it's a pretty big tub.

Not much progress with trailer today, and I'm just about out of gas so have to fill bottle tomorrow.

Frank

Edited by frankS

3 hours ago, shakey55 said:

Enter your measurements in here and get the cubic metres of your tub.

https://www.calculator.net/volume-calculator.html

1 cubic metre equals 1000 lites

Thanks for the conversion chart, according to the measurements 700mm radius 500mm depth equates to 

769690200.1295 meters3
Whatever that is in litres ?.

Not as large as I first stated but it's still a huge tank and could come in handy for something.

Frank

3 hours ago, XD351 said:

769.69 litres . For 700mm radius and 500mm depth .

Thanks for working that out for me, I had no idea . 

So my original guess at 800 ltrs wasn't all that far off, of coarse you would never have it full to the brim.

I only ever put about 150 ltrs in it and it kept livies going for a couple of days.

Frank

• Thanks 1

This is the axle springs set up I was originally planning to use.

However I am debating weather I should bite the bullet and buy new axle, springs, wheels and tyres.

I can get 750kg axle springs hubs and coupling along with the spring extras needed to complete the set up for around $200 and new wheel and tyre around $100 each.

Do I need new stuff OR just paint and tidy existing springs and axle etc ?. Will have to think on it for a while.

Meanwhile I am progressing with the build slowly and it's starting to look a bit like a boat trailer.

1981653287_Axle1.thumb.jpg.65164b9f2274cb7fe688e78b82bdf103.jpg

I have several sets of guards so this is not an issue.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1

I have been a bit slack the past week with this project, been busy in the progress with buying another boat.

Anyhow next steps is welding the A frame onto the main structure. You might note that the frame of the A frame is curved, I done this deliberately as I thought seems as how the bow of the Quintrex is bowed, it might look good that the trailer has similar lines and curves.  ( only time will tell, it may look stupid ) will have to wait till I sit the boat on it to see what it looks like.

Just sitting in place now I have to weld it all together.

1285632182_trailerbuild9.thumb.jpg.b4d69963cac8088787722a6f8b5152b8.jpg

1230288312_trailerbuild10.thumb.jpg.8f06ef517c1a02a0c932605cbb2d770c.jpg

1706020675_trailerbuild11.thumb.jpg.8570406d5db987ee29167c48ddb6f793.jpg

Once it is tacked up solid I will then add draw bar and the frame will be complete.

Then I pull all the gear off it to make it lighter then take it into shed and finish welding it all up.

Then i will think about making the winch post etc.

Frank

• Like 5

Pretty sure I will be putting new springs under it. Looked at the old set up and the shackles are pretty well cactus . 750 kg springs will be plenty heavy enough and I will gal paint the axle and I have new hubs .

Frank

By the time I fully weld up this frame there will be in excess of 234" of weld. that's not counting the roller brackets or posts, then I have to make the winch post and a bit of bracing here and there. I estimate in excess of 350 " of alloy welding.

It's been a while since I have taken on a project as large as this. To do it in steel would take less than half the time. And 3 times as easy.

Frank

• Like 1

One thing I have going against me is lack of room for welding up large projects like this.

Although I have a 8x 4 steel welding table it's quiet obvious it's just not large enough.

Difficult to weld it up outside as the sun effects the settings on my welding helmet and mostly a bit of wind about that blows the gas away from the job which makes for a messy weld.

I spose I could just lay it flat and do vertical up welds but I prefer to do flat welding so need the frame on it's side as much as I can get it.

OK enough moaning and groaning . I will get on with what needs to be done.

Thanks guys for watching. I'm getting there.

1168834344_trailerbuild12.thumb.jpg.8ca0dc6957e3beb8716632014a028b34.jpg

315095468_trailerbuild13.thumb.jpg.9879e92ce11568ce02d75683ea72f2d4.jpg

1726474517_trailerbuild14.thumb.jpg.a45929375a8eb82a4b2622790ffdfada.jpg

Frank

• Like 8

no Frank thanks for letting us watch the build mate ,you are doing a great job mate and will be one solid trailer that will last so much longer than a china gal dipped trailer they are selling now out there in the market cheers dunc333

• Like 1

Just a thought (way too late now) did you ever consider a full custom (to fit that boat) setup with no rollers are all, just a kind of cradle with skids? or even keel rollers and side "cradle" pieces so the boat sits nearly in the centre every time..

Noel. Do you mean like the yanks make ?. No don't like them, do we have to copy everything the yanks do !! ?.

When this trailer is finished the Quintrex will sit on it like a glove, and there will be a full drive on guide system in place where the boat will sit centre and fit the same every time. It will also have one of my catch release brackets on it so launching and retrieving will be a breeze.

Then I'm selling the lot, including my existing 14 ' Brooker which is decked out as a cheap tournament boat.

Frank

• Like 1