Boat trailer build

frankS

On 4/27/2021 at 7:29 AM, zmk1962 said:

Hey Frank. Which weigh bridge do you use?  
cheers Zoran 

Find a public weighbridge | Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources

I used the one at the old Tuff Tone Mufflers at Epping Station, but its now a 25 storey apartment block

Using the link, it opens a excel spreadsheet which you can sort into state and post codes

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2021 at 6:46 PM, frankS said:

Registration is not as simple as it used to be. Build trailer, get it weighed ( about $30 for weighbridge ticket ) take to Blue slip inspector around $36 for inspection, stamp details on plate or direct to frame, take inspection report to Services and fill out form. You have to have receipts of materials etc, then pay fee and get plate.

Frank 

Just to add a little more info for the rego - keep the weight under 256 or you will pay the weight tax ($100) on it every year and it will also need a inspection every year

2 hours ago, Plethora said:

Just to add a little more info for the rego - keep the weight under 256 or you will pay the weight tax ($100) on it every year and it will also need a inspection every year

Thanks for the info. I think it will be under that weight, although it's getting pretty heavy to lift and maneuver around the place. The wheels axle and springs will be the heaviest parts so might try and weigh the frame and axle set up separately  and see how close it gets.

Frank

• Like 1

I have had to put this build on hold for a period of time as I have yet another project that has come up that needs immediate attention. 

Another boat, the last one I swear !. 

I have been missing going outside the heads for quiet a while so obtained a smallish but capable boat to poke my nose off shore in.

Have to register it and make a few minor mods to the trailer and register that.

Hope it's all ready by end of next week.

Savage Scorpion 485 90hp Etec and braked trailer.

728908910_scorpion3.jpg.0cc0a90f0c43a0ece2b6d7641a29a3bf.jpg

Modifying winch post first up as it was cracked.

Frank

• Like 7

You are very good at these rebuilds @frankS

We have just replaced our 17 year old trailer for our 17 year old Polycraft. I noticed as we looked around that the quality and price varied greatly. 

We ended up going back to the original maker who did a great job and added some custom stuff to it.

Clearly your work is quality and "made with love" and thank you for your contributions to fishraider forum 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, frankS said:

I have had to put this build on hold for a period of time as I have yet another project that has come up that needs immediate attention. 

Another boat, the last one I swear !. 

I have been missing going outside the heads for quiet a while so obtained a smallish but capable boat to poke my nose off shore in.

Have to register it and make a few minor mods to the trailer and register that.

Hope it's all ready by end of next week.

Savage Scorpion 485 90hp Etec and braked trailer.

728908910_scorpion3.jpg.0cc0a90f0c43a0ece2b6d7641a29a3bf.jpg

Modifying winch post first up as it was cracked.

Frank

The winch post does look at bit light, I tossed away a really good galvanised one about a week ago, shame, I could have sent it up to you, like everything, lays around for a year, toss it away and find out it could be used soon after.

• 2 weeks later...

Another step closer. Got the wheels for the trailer, universal hub Ford OR Holden. 

Between making this trailer and doing work on the other boat, things get left not done, but I will get there eventually.

Have got the draw bar tacked onto the frame and now have to maneuver whole trailer so that I can finish welding it up. Then make winch post buy and fit lights fit winch ( tossing up to fit electric winch I have in storage ) OR manual wind up winch, trailer will be drive on so very little winching will be needed.

Thanks for being patient , but I did warn you all that it would take some time to complete.

2030018370_trailerwheel.thumb.jpg.0f9323a66b6e37e2a3cef1352d660632.jpg

Frank

I have made small gussets to each X member to strengthen and made substantial reinforcement to the A frame to main frame. Draw bar tacked on.

The draw bar material was only 3 x 2 " x 2.5 mm so I got hold of another length of R H S that fitted inside the 3 x 2 and drilled holes on outer 3 x 2 and plug welded them together, so now the draw bar although looking a tab small is quiet strong as it is virtually 5mm thick so won't bend.

53780260_trailerbuild15.thumb.jpg.6739df3c2fb3101cf3dd1d48ba6e4785.jpg

1138378970_trailerbuild16.thumb.jpg.4ff6c4e0f00156eade1846a2a3877dd6.jpg

536349818_trailerbuild17.thumb.jpg.b0edc0e49a93409edd21a00c8409a935.jpg

Frank

One more step closer. Trailer springs 4 leaf 900kg load per set. Trailer will be max load 740kg so springs will never get full load.

1052840849_trailersprings.thumb.jpg.7db3cdafaf869489edfab2c9bb5a7bea.jpg

With the Scorpion , the jockey wheel was seized so pulled it apart to fix it and found this, the bearing collapsed completely and it looks like it has been submersed in salt water for a period of time. 

I pulled apart another jockey wheel and made one good one from 2 wrecks.

1470107429_jockeywheel2.thumb.jpg.72081cb6ee4b99808fa274c9ea64cbbd.jpg

Frank

• Like 5

Good to see it progressing so well Frank. Looking forward to catching up next trip. Many thanks for all the wonderful woodwork which you gave me. Will get some pics when I put the studio signs up. You really are a "Master of all trades".

Hi to Val. Cheers, bn

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Good to see it progressing so well Frank. Looking forward to catching up next trip. Many thanks for all the wonderful woodwork which you gave me. Will get some pics when I put the studio signs up. You really are a "Master of all trades".

Hi to Val. Cheers, bn

Neil. You are very welcome, looking forward to seeing the photos.

Val and I are thinking of you and Susan today.

Cheers Frank

6 hours ago, frankS said:

Neil. You are very welcome, looking forward to seeing the photos.

Val and I are thinking of you and Susan today.

Cheers Frank

Thanks so much Frank for your lovely sentiments. Neil

• 2 weeks later...

The dreaded Winch post. I say dreaded as I have kept putting off building it, not so much that it is difficult to make but just cause I couldn't make up my mind how to build it. I had several plans rolling around in my head, ( nothing is ever done from paper, it's all in my head as I go along ) I finally decided on a design which I believe will work and be simple, adjustable back and forth and up and down so it could be adapted to any trailer and boat. Who knows who will eventually buy this trailer and for what boat.

Will fit winch to it tomorrow and take some photos, got too dark just now.

Frank

• Like 2

I previously repaired and strengthened the winch post on the Scorpion's trailer and thought it was a simple but effective design, so I copied it.

Pretty simple design which allows adjustment forward/back and up/down .

Managed to buy new winch at approx 1/2 price which is a good saving. The boat will be mainly drive on so the winch will only be employed with the last few inches up to the post. 

1972987714_winchpost3.thumb.jpg.2da7de87a06bffa66e5ca3e93b20cf86.jpg

1598293329_winchpost2.thumb.jpg.e4858afa593e2c6935ac2372aa7c772f.jpg

494629449_winchpost1.thumb.jpg.bbabfe4d0e227c6ce2093dbce7d2da4c.jpg

Thanks for those still watching this long drawn out topic.

Next thing is finishing the welding on the main frame. Then mounting the axle onto the springs and finally mounting the spring assembly onto the trailer frame, fitting winch post and deciding how long I want the draw bar to be and welding on safety chains and coupling, and finally the lights.

Still a bit of work to do, so please stay tuned.

Frank

• Like 6

On 6/11/2021 at 1:47 PM, frankS said:

Ojay. Good to know you are still about. I thought you may have left us for good.

Haven't seen you here for ages.

Frank

Hey Frank, Yeah Im still around, unfortunately I have nothing to contribute... I haven't even gone for a fish or taken the boat out since last year. Work has consumed me and I hate every minute of it haha.
I should pop by some time and say hello, its been a while.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

That's a mighty job you're taking on Frank.That trailer is looking fantastic.Keep up the great work mate!

Thanks Fab1. Making a huge bait board come tackle box/station for the Scorpion at the moment, might take some photos if time permits.

The trailer is getting neglected of late as the Scorpion is demanding more time than I originally planned.

Had that many draw backs with the trailer, trying to get it registered and it's put me back heaps.

The Scorpion is in Guildford and I am in Berala so I don't get to work on it as much as I would like.

Just no room at my place.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been doing much of anything the past couple of weeks. Got the Scorpion in having service done on the ETec and 2 funerals with another one some time during the next week.

However I have managed a couple of jobs on the trailer and it is coming together and starting to look something like a boat trailer.314360924_trailerbuild18.thumb.jpg.59c361988a88fac3a71b58d8bc491762.jpg

1594692569_trailerbuild19.thumb.jpg.874810658788f725f897394379e427bb.jpg1594692569_trailerbuild19.thumb.jpg.874810658788f725f897394379e427bb.jpg

404214917_trailerbuild20.thumb.jpg.b35f9f8654ef6abcb032cf358780fef2.jpg

The welding is pretty well complete. Need to get the axle springs , and hubs wheels happening now, and ending up with the guards and lights.

Then I will go about fitting the whole thing up to make it drive on /off .

I may have to re locate the keel rollers to the front of the Xmembers. A couple of extra days work I hadn't planned on.

Anyhow hope those of you that are still interested find this in some way helpful.

Frank

• Like 8