Boat trailer build

frankS

Thanks guys for your kind words. This trailer has taken a bit longer than I first thought although I knew from the start it wasn't going to be a quick project.

This trailer is made up of all different size and styles of aluminium that I had laying around the sheds for the past 30 odd years and some of it should not have been used, however it started out as a trailer I was going to keep for my own use, to sit under the Quintrex I have plans on turning into a side console Bass/Bream/Barramundi boat. So it wasn't a concern what it looked like.

I will more than likely sell it with OR without a boat sitting on it as I am going to get rid of all the boats around the place except for the Scorpion.

When this is all finished and gone I MIGHT buy some more material the same size and style and make another smaller trailer to sit my 12 foot alloy PUNT on, along with it's 9.9 Mercury motor. This I can still use in the lakes and up river.

Meanwhile I have to stay focused on finishing this project.

Frank

• Like 1

Decided to make duel keel rollers for rear of trailer, surprising how heavy this set up is with the 3 solid stainless steel roller axles, so might weigh trailer before adding these to it so it doesn't go over the limit for non braked trailer .

1662721235_trailerbuild23.thumb.jpg.cce096a4f2c22e9f77fd42fe70d7ad0f.jpg

187872458_trailerbuild22.thumb.jpg.b7196c6c3ff5aec5a87c61aed55504b8.jpg

104080505_trailerbuild21.thumb.jpg.3aeaf032ae4e495fc41cda7d715bfa01.jpg

Frank

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lights all fitted and working.

Made small wire plug holder just to keep plug off the ground when not in use.

Next small job is welding the safety chain onto the trailer.

Each small job completed is another step closer to getting this thing finished.

Have to wait till I can go shopping for a axle which is in Smithfield but with restrictions I can't drive to pick it up.

1569191431_trailerbuild24.thumb.jpg.984f1912aa616b17e7474b904436758b.jpg

981992823_trailerbuild25.thumb.jpg.2fd90167e0e1ea7fe17916c4915daa9f.jpg

121533165_trailerbuild26.thumb.jpg.1ff4b28edb5651855746e216432c73af.jpg

Frank

• Like 2

Got the chain welded up.

That's about all I can do till I get my new axle.

1481452198_trailerbuild27.thumb.jpg.845223811428feece77f99e1dbfa86c9.jpg

Now for some work on the Scorpion, when this wind settles down a bit.

My gazebo is falling apart with this wind so I will have to do some repair welding on that, got it holding together with vice grips at the moment.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, frankS said:

Have to wait till I can go shopping for a axle which is in Smithfield but with restrictions I can't drive to pick it up.

Frank - with the latest restriction you’ll probably find that they are no longer allowed to be open. You missed the boat as they say in the classics by a few days.  Sure you’ll find something else to keep you occupied. 

By the way, great work on the trailer

• 3 months later...

Well Finally got around to picking up my axle, so will now be able to re commence building this long drawn out project.

It is taking forever to finish, even longer than I first anticipated.

I have to go down to Canberra tomorrow so may start work again on Sunday.

Stay tuned.

Frank  

• Like 1

Hey Frank awesome build, Where did you buy your rollers and skids from as my daughter got her first boat (Proud Dad Moment)

it needs either two rollers welded / added or maybe two skids as it has no side support towards the front so is unstable on the trailer as most of it is balanced on the keel rollers.

Jeff. As stated previously I made my own rollers brackets and skids, the blue skid material I bought from a boat supply shop.

All rollers brackets and skid pads etc are readily available from several boat parts suppliers . 

Where does your daughter live ?. I may be able to visit and offer some advise .

PM me if you want to arrange a get together.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent work Frank!!!

Be careful if and when you do leaving that trailer at ramps with the Scum around these days.

Those rollers are like candy at a lolli shop to said Scum.

Keep up the great work!!

Just looking at building a new trailer for my Sharkcat, looking at steel tube, steel I beam and Aluminium, might go tube, it's the cheapest by far, and after galvanising will probably see me out anyway, my neighbour kind if offered "mates rates" to weld it all up if I go Aluminium.

Edited by noelm

53 minutes ago, noelm said:

Just looking at building a new trailer for my Sharkcat, looking at steel tube, steel I beam and Aluminium, might go tube, it's the cheapest by far, and after galvanising will probably see me out anyway, my neighbour kind if offered "mates rates" to weld it all up if I go Aluminium.

Noel. If aluminium I would suggest C channel at least 5mm thick ( thicker the better but very expensive ) . As with this thing I am building the only steel parts should be nuts,bolts, and axle,springs and winch, coupling and safety chains . 

Don't let people tell you a alloy trailer which is welded will crack, if welded properly it won't.

The trailer manufacturers that bolt alloy trailers are just using the wrong welding process and don't have faith in their work.

I have built several alloy trailers ( welded ) and none of them have ever come back to me for cracks. First alloy trailer I built was in 1997 and I happen to know the guy that still uses it every week and still no cracks. Most steel trailers built in 1997 would have had repairs by now.

Frank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Excellent work Frank!!!

Be careful if and when you do leaving that trailer at ramps with the Scum around these days.

Those rollers are like candy at a lolli shop to said Scum.

Keep up the great work!!

Fab. I know what you are saying and I may paint them to disguise them.

Don't know IF I will ever use this trailer, probably sell it with or without boat, but will advise buyer to paint IF I don't.

Frank

15 minutes ago, frankS said:

Noel. If aluminium I would suggest C channel at least 5mm thick ( thicker the better but very expensive ) . As with this thing I am building the only steel parts should be nuts,bolts, and axle,springs and winch, coupling and safety chains . 

Don't let people tell you a alloy trailer which is welded will crack, if welded properly it won't.

The trailer manufacturers that bolt alloy trailers are just using the wrong welding process and don't have faith in their work.

I have built several alloy trailers ( welded ) and none of them have ever come back to me for cracks. First alloy trailer I built was in 1997 and I happen to know the guy that still uses it every week and still no cracks. Most steel trailers built in 1997 would have had repairs by now.

Frank

I have looked at Aluminium I beam and rectangular tube, tube would be easier (maybe) a cat trailer is pretty easy to build, because there is no V it's all just straight lengths bolted/welded together, but I did think about bending a "pointy" end for the coupling end rather than just welding straight stuff, only for appearance, don't know yet......decisions, just mulling, basic steel cost is $1,500, probably the same for galvanising, so, for 3 grand I could probably go alloy, but, welding it is an issue as I don't have the equipment, but, my neighbour does, so?? then there is "running gear" guards and so on, though some I could scrounge off the old one, but then, I might be able to sell the old one to offset costs?

Noel. If you go alloy for the guards just buy a sheet of 1.8 checkerplate  around $140 and make your own, easy as.

$3000 will see you with some change, axles wheels brakes is where the big bucks come into it. As you would know.

If going steel and galvanizing, make shure  each section has a breather hole to allow the gases to escape or they won't touch it.

Frank

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Noel. If you go alloy for the guards just buy a sheet of 1.8 checkerplate  around $140 and make your own, easy as.

$3000 will see you with some change, axles wheels brakes is where the big bucks come into it. As you would know.

If going steel and galvanizing, make shure  each section has a breather hole to allow the gases to escape or they won't touch it.

Frank

If I ever build a gal trailer I will be drilling holes in all sections with a nut welded on so I can plug it all up with a gal bolt after it's galvanised.

It's to hard for the trailer manufacturers to do this though isn't it?Yes, I know they want them to fall apart around your ears so you come back to donate more $$$$.

• 10 months later...

Hi guys, it's me again.

This trailer has been sitting in my shed for almost 12 months without being touched.

I have finally got around to moving my 14 foot brooker out of it's parking bay to the front lawn so I now have space to continue some work on the trailer.

Should have it all done within a week so will post some new photos for anyone that may be interested.

Frank

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

I don't believe this thing has taken sooooo long to finish.

What with buying the savage Scorpion which needed heaps of modifications and then buying yet another project boat in the Pride Gazelle which I'm still making things for it and trying to make it a fishing boat plus all that needs to be done around the house the trailer has simply been gathering dust.

Well I finally decided to spend a little time on the trailer to finally get it finished.

I have painted it and will assemble all the parts on it tomorrow and take some photos and show you all the finished product.

Then it's up for sale.

Frank

• Like 4