reel drag washers

Hello again raiders ,  i was given this cheap  kmart/bigw reel  that needs a  lot of work to make it usable again   , the drag washers are felt  and will need replacement , has anyone  made their own washers out of different kind of material ?  they look like 2mm thickness , thank you for your advice.IMG_20210429_165836.thumb.jpg.43e3dc1abc3aeb83b51d42eb8b9cef58.jpg

Edited by leonardgid

On 4/29/2021 at 10:06 PM, dmck said:

You can buy a carbon fibre sheet and cut your own.  I cant remember where I bought mine but it wasnt too dear.

thank you , i will  look for ways to cut  these  before i buy carbon fibre  , bit expensive to practice on .

15 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

If you want the subtlety of a felt drag, the Spotlight chain of stores sells suitable felt sheets that you can cut or stamp your own from.

Just make sure the felt you buy is fairly stiff as the soft stuff will just disintegrate.

i will look for them and  try them out ,  thank you for your reply 

get samples of outdoor blind material, many 'blind' stores carry them so customers can check colours.  They appear to be ideal for drag washers and cut easily with scissors.

• 2 weeks later...

Just type ‘Carbontex sheet’ into ebay and there’s a few Aussie sellers that I’ve purchased from previously. Use the old washers as templates, drill or stamp the centre hole and cut the outside diameter with scissors. At around $20 a sheet you get enough washers for quite a few reels. 

• Like 1