Trevally ID Port Hacking (Giant Trevally)

Doge

Question

Hi all. Can anyone confirm what kind of Trevally this is? Caught this land-based in Port Hacking last Friday. Looks a lot like a small GT? Seems an odd catch this far south. Sorry if wrong section. 

IMG_0405.thumb.jpg.69c36834a2912f7b7654d1f3f05d27ff.jpg

Edited by Doge
Better photo
  • Like 2

17 answers to this question

Does look like a G.T. - for fish I.D. the best photo is to lay the fish flat on the ground and take a photo above, that gives a better view of the body/head/fins/tail.

Don't be surprised what fish from the north end up down this way.

And yes, it should be in the Aquarium I.D. section.

There are at least 23 species on the east coast of Aus

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/fish-species/species-list/trevallies#:~:text=At least 23 species of,the east coast of Australia.

Imo its a GT.

There are all sorts of more northern species being caught more south of their normal general location.

Reportedly Jacks, Cobia, Sailfish/billfish etc recently caught in southern waters like Port hacking.

Even mud crabs which I thought would never be this low on the map.

Life is like a box of chocolates................................................😉

Edited by kingie chaser

Thanks all. Thought it was a GT – didn’t know they ventured this far south. And yep, good fun on Bream gear. 

Edited by Doge

22 hours ago, slothparade said:

I'm pretty sure that's a baby GT or it could be a silver trevally (I thought they were a little bit more elongated and not as stocky as a GT). 

Please correct me if i'm wrong. seems a bit to far south for a gt 

Definitely not a Silver Trevally, the shape is wrong, and the black spot on the base of the pectoral fin (that identifies the Silver) is missing. GT almost certainly, there's quite a few small ones caught each year, never heard of a big one caught down this way ever.

Edited by noelm
Added info
  • Like 1

Just as an afterthought, the most common place I have caught them is the wreck at Bass Point, they give you some trouble on Bream gear and a number 1 hook! The sharp "scute" near the tail can give you a nasty cut if you're not careful.

Edited by noelm

I think the Turrum has gold/yellow spots, but I could be wrong? , there's lots of tropical and sub tropical species caught here that have different "common" names to what they are called up north.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

I think the Turrum has gold/yellow spots, but I could be wrong? , there's lots of tropical and sub tropical species caught here that have different "common" names to what they are called up north.

also commonly known as a "gold spot trevally" 

On 5/2/2021 at 5:16 PM, kingie chaser said:

Life is like a box of chocolates................................................😉

Lindt chocolates or Haighs chocolates - yummy.  :banana:

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Could be right there.

When I was a kid fishing off Yowie Bay wharf, so not that long ago   :074:, I caught a fish that looked similar to the GT, no more than 30cm long.

Originally I though it was a Turrum, but it did not match that photo in the I.D. books (no Dr Google back then) so it may have been a small G.T. Chucked it back in.

Also at Yowie Bay wharf, as a kid, after a week of heavy rain, I pulled out a fish, first and only one of it's colour of a greenish tinge in places, that at the time I identified as a Freshwater Blackfish, after viewing numerous books. Never have seen another one at all. It was released.

Edited by Yowie

I recon its a GT to, Brassy Trevally don't have that steep head shape. Brassys have a more sloping head also they have a prominent spot on top of the Gill plate

Turrum, also called Gold spot or Yellowspotted have a different shape body. I've always called them Goldspot trevally and I recon they are one of the best eating Trevally.

• Like 1