The Peak (and other spots) - pretty much a donut - Friday 30th April

dlvbw

Hey Raiders,

Headed out to the Peak with @reel'em and @The Rev on Friday despite getting a report from @Pickles that there was not much going on out wide. It was the first trip to the Peak in my rig and with weather predictions unbelievable it seemed like a good idea anyway. Launched at Roseville around 645am and headed straight to collect some livies which didn't take too long. 

Rather than booting out to the Peak, we put in the deep divers and trolled from the heads straight out. Unfortunately no takers. Haven't done this much but was hoping we might pick something up. Got to the Peak and was happy to see about 15 boats milling about, with one boat (the green one!) landing a nice fish. Spirits were high as we cruised around looking for bait to jig/drop livies on. Unfortunately the bait was almost non-existent and about two hours later we only one leathery to show for our efforts (and a lost jig). By this stage nearly all the boats had disappeared. We didnt see any other fish get caught but there were rumours of a couple of other kingies boated. We headed to the nearby FAD for the same result.

So it was back towards Malabar/Maroubra for a few drifts. Picked up a nice mowie, one 55cm flatty and a bunch of rubbish. Couldn't find the flatty drift I was looking for..........

Overall a pretty frustrating day of fishing BUT with great company and even better conditions, the mood on the boat was positive (very important!) and all in all it was much better than being at work! 

Keen to get back out to the Peak, any advice would be welcome. 

Cheers

D

PS - maybe should have listened to @Pickles

• Like 1

The current has been running "up hill" (going North) for a while now, and deep dropping has not been all that flash for a while, seems to be pretty common every year to be like that. There's a good run of big Yellowfin for those that know what they are doing.

Shame about your day but the peak can be on one day and not the next. Just have to try and try again. I have experienced mornings of no fish and arvos of non stop action. Current seems to of stopped at the moment. I was there last week and only managed a couple of rats but was running hard at the peak for a long time until 2 weeks ago. 

Good luck finding them next time.

not sure what Noel is reading but no mention of deep dropping or yellowfin in your report or questions.

10 hours ago, Jp2 said:

Shame about your day but the peak can be on one day and not the next. Just have to try and try again. I have experienced mornings of no fish and arvos of non stop action. Current seems to of stopped at the moment. I was there last week and only managed a couple of rats but was running hard at the peak for a long time until 2 weeks ago. 

Good luck finding them next time.

not sure what Noel is reading but no mention of deep dropping or yellowfin in your report or questions.

Plenty of big Yellowfin have been caught out wide from about Port Kembla north, just thought they may have been that far north too.

Thanks for the comments guys. I have heard a N-S current is preferable so will keep my eye on that. It was just nice to dust off the jigs as it had been a while and I love jigging. 

WRT tuna, I am currently considering the investment. I need a couple of new set ups to get this going. Nothing too crazy but with the line capacity to manage them. Might need to find some punters who want to share the fuel bill too! 

Cheers

D