Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning, up from Lilli Pilli. Pulled the tailor and bream early on fish strips, then some reddies turned up, including small ones in the burley stream. After a while, small chinaman jackets turned up, too small to eat (unless you are desperate) like a plague under the boat, chewing off hooks and just cutting the line. 😠

I also released 3 reddies around 32cm and a flattie near 50, as I had enough for a feed. The reddies were hammering any squid baits thrown at them - the tentacles saved from the squid I caught last week were the best.

Surface action was non existant, so I tried a few spots for squid, but nothing doing.

As I was thinking of heading home, I saw schools of sand mullet over the weed beds, so I had a throw with bread baits and scored a few. When the showers started up, then I headed home. Don't know whether to eat the mullet fillets, or salt them for bait.

fish.jpeg.289_files_files.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Nice going Yowie. 

I used to catch mullet that size in the Crookhaven River, both for bait and a feed.

If you like the tailor, you'll love the mullet I reckon.

As a kid, I caught and ate a lot of mullet. Have not had a feed of them for a while - I found a recipe I might try, and, I found another one hiding in the murky water in the esky, so it was 6 I kept.

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Good stuff Yowie!  Almost makes me want to have a few estuary fishing sessions - haven’t done that in a while. 
cheers Zoran 

Estuary fishing is good for you, gets you back to your younger days, and you use real bait to catch fish.  :074:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Good stuff Yowie!  Almost makes me want to have a few estuary fishing sessions - haven’t done that in a while. 
cheers Zoran 

Is that when you'll start fishing with a handline to :mfr_lol:...............................:18:..................:1sorry:..................😂

Nice job Yowie, you are the Hacking handline master ninja :ninja: 🤐

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Is that when you'll start fishing with a handline to :mfr_lol:...............................:18:..................:1sorry:..................😂

Nice job Yowie, you are the Hacking handline master ninja :ninja: 🤐

Thank you, a few legal reds for a change.

Love your posts Yowie, the simplicity of your fishing methods belies the skill involved. Goes to show you don't need fancy gear to get yourself a feed.

Recently I've been using a handline from time to time - thanks to your inspiration - and have been enjoying the pure simplicity of fishing with them...and how little gear you need to carry!

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

Estuary fishing is good for you, gets you back to your younger days, and you use real bait to catch fish.  :074:

Please reread my reply - I said “Almost” 😂. That’s a key word that establishes context and meaning.
I was also going to say- “imagine what the catch would have been with a rod and some plastic ! “ ... but I bit my tongue as I am a nice person. 

12 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Hahaha.  I’ll make sure to pack a 1000m spool of braid for you next time we head to Browns!

cheers fellas. 
Zoran

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Love your posts Yowie, the simplicity of your fishing methods belies the skill involved. Goes to show you don't need fancy gear to get yourself a feed.

Recently I've been using a handline from time to time - thanks to your inspiration - and have been enjoying the pure simplicity of fishing with them...and how little gear you need to carry!

Handlines are a bit different to the rods. The worst thing you can do is drop a lively fish onto the line in the bottom of the boat, sometimes they unhook themselves at the wrong time.

Something like a kingfish on a handline will test your skills.😂

• Like 1

The reddies make a nice colourful picture and its nice to see them in the river again. I might even give them a try next week. 

The mullet would cook up up ok but  they will make good bait. 

Bruce

3 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

The reddies make a nice colourful picture and its nice to see them in the river again. I might even give them a try next week. 

The mullet would cook up up ok but  they will make good bait. 

Bruce

It is nice to pull up a few legal reds, lately they have not been big enough to keep.

I have a recipe for the mullet fillets, so will try it Friday night. Just cooked up the reddie and bream fillets tonight, son and his girlfriend turned up for dinner.

On 5/4/2021 at 1:16 PM, Yowie said:

Headed out early this morning, up from Lilli Pilli. Pulled the tailor and bream early on fish strips, then some reddies turned up, including small ones in the burley stream. After a while, small chinaman jackets turned up, too small to eat (unless you are desperate) like a plague under the boat, chewing off hooks and just cutting the line. 😠

I also released 3 reddies around 32cm and a flattie near 50, as I had enough for a feed. The reddies were hammering any squid baits thrown at them - the tentacles saved from the squid I caught last week were the best.

Surface action was non existant, so I tried a few spots for squid, but nothing doing.

As I was thinking of heading home, I saw schools of sand mullet over the weed beds, so I had a throw with bread baits and scored a few. When the showers started up, then I headed home. Don't know whether to eat the mullet fillets, or salt them for bait.

fish.jpeg.289_files_files.jpg

Nice reddies there Yowie....imagine the size of the flathead that would inhale one of those mullet being bounced along the bottom😉

7 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice reddies there Yowie....imagine the size of the flathead that would inhale one of those mullet being bounced along the bottom😉

Pound and a half reddies are nice for a change, bigger fillets, however, not like Scratchie's reddie fillets. :whistling:

There would be some flatties that would have a go at those mullet. Many years ago, I would be fishing for school jewies at night, and on a calm night, I could hear the sand mullet jumping near Lilli Pilli, and every now and then there would be a big tail slap on the surface, sounded like a big jew having a go at the mullet.