Is this a circle hook or a J hook?

slothparade

Live bait hook 😆 but more close to a J hook rather than a circle hook. Key characteristic of a circle hook is that the tip points in towards the shank - critical for the hook to be able to slide until hits the edge of the fishes mouth.

• Thanks 1

Imo circle hooks have a curved point which helps in doing its job of helping to hook in the corner of the mouth & self hook up.

circle.jpg.06b4dcb853a0db7e0584e1e4d5f2fac7.jpg

There are many hybrids or versions of them like circle octopus & other shapes but again imo the curve point defines a circle hook.

• Thanks 1

That's just a normal J hook, not a fan of those short shank style if you're live baiting, they tend to turn and the point sticks back into the side of the bait, OK for just a fillet bait though, probably not the first choice for Sharks, but with a decent trace they will be OK.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the help. I just went into a shop and asked for shark hooks and thats what I was directed to. I will get some circle hooks. what size should I get? and what pound wire? I'm not to interested in gut hooking sharks as I would like to release them as healthy as possible. 

11 hours ago, motiondave said:

If they are a 6/0 hook, I use something similar for kingfish ( still trying to catch one). I use those hooks with live bait and have caught sharks about the one metre mark no problem. 

Thanks for your response. What's the chance of gut hooking though? I don't know how to explain it but i would just rather put the shark back as healthy as possible. 

13 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Imo circle hooks have a curved point which helps in doing its job of helping to hook in the corner of the mouth & self hook up.

circle.jpg.06b4dcb853a0db7e0584e1e4d5f2fac7.jpg

There are many hybrids or versions of them like circle octopus & other shapes but again imo the curve point defines a circle hook.

Thanks for all the help. I just went into a shop and asked for shark hooks and thats what I was directed to. I will get some circle hooks. what size should I get? and what pound wire? I'm not to interested in gut hooking sharks as I would like to release them as healthy as possible. 

Those hooks you have will be fine for sharks and jew off the beaches. Anywhere between 8/0 and 10/0 is a good place to start.

Guys use both styles of hook and the general consensus is, if you plan holding the rod use a J hook and a circle if you're planning to leave the rod in a holder.

Not too sure whether I'd worry too much about wire, judging by the amount of bronzies I've caught over the years when fishing for jew with a 50lb mono leader. The things are a bloody, bait stealing pest haha.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, motiondave said:

almost zero chance, I toss unweighted bait out, mind you, im from a boat, from  a beach though, id guess they hit and run and chew on the go, or at least thats what I think. If they gut hook, if you have a wire trace on it, you are not going to be able to remove it anyway. 

thankyou, yes they do hit and run when on the beach, your supposed to wait 10 secs before setting the hook (what I was told) what pound wire do you use and what size hook I was thinking 9/0 to 10/0 circle? I was planning on using slabs of mullet on the big reel and the head on the spinning. Also because I have 80 lbs mono on the big reel can I skip the 200 lbs leader? 

also with my spinning reel it has 50 lbs fluorocarbon about 5 m as a leader already attached, can I just tie the trace onto that, I think the trace is like 1.5 m to 2m (it just came out in a big tangled mess so I just cut it and crimped it LOL) 

4 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Those hooks you have will be fine for sharks and jew off the beaches. Anywhere between 8/0 and 10/0 is a good place to start.

Guys use both styles of hook and the general consensus is, if you plan holding the rod use a J hook and a circle if you're planning to leave the rod in a holder.

Not too sure whether I'd worry too much about wire, judging by the amount of bronzies I've caught over the years when fishing for jew with a 50lb mono leader. The things are a bloody, bait stealing pest haha.

Yeah, I was hopping to target jewfish at the same time (they would take a big slab of mullet right). can't rember what I was targeting but I was using a bigger bait off a peir, almost lost my rod over the side (I dived on it, I was helping someone with their boat pulling it closer with a rope) and it just took off. I was running out of line so I just put the reel on full drag just hopping to slow it down and tire it out but it wouldn't. Eventually broke me off and I got most of my lie back thankfully but still have no idea, I was advised it was probably a bronzie. 

I have had to so many problems with bull sharks but never really bronzies. 

9 minutes ago, motiondave said:

Im not actually targeting sharks with my set ups, if it was from a beach, id be using 12 foot glass beach rod, 30 or 50 lb braid, either 50 lb flurocarbon or a wire trace and at 6/0 hook I suppose and a big surf sinker. Ive no idea how long to leave it run for, if I hear the reel drag going off, Im on it in seconds.
same as in the boat, but using 6 foot sturdy glass rod, I set the drag, toss the line out, unweighted,  sit back and wait, they seem to hit it and go, ive not lost a hook up on about 6 sharks I think. 

try a bigger hook, Id guess they will chomp anything, Ive hauled a shark in on a 3/0 hook, they all seem to get it hooked corner of the mouth. 

I guess the 10 seconds might be for bigger baits and sharks. I'll be using the 12 ft heavy beach rod and the 5'6 rod as well. I guess mabey about half drag on the spinning and mabey number 2 or 3 on the overhead. Also what's the 2 speeds meant for? I know the low one is meant for more drag so I guess the high gear is for faster retrive?

15 minutes ago, motiondave said:

Im not actually targeting sharks with my set ups, if it was from a beach, id be using 12 foot glass beach rod, 30 or 50 lb braid, either 50 lb flurocarbon or a wire trace and at 6/0 hook I suppose and a big surf sinker. Ive no idea how long to leave it run for, if I hear the reel drag going off, Im on it in seconds.
same as in the boat, but using 6 foot sturdy glass rod, I set the drag, toss the line out, unweighted,  sit back and wait, they seem to hit it and go, ive not lost a hook up on about 6 sharks I think. 

try a bigger hook, Id guess they will chomp anything, Ive hauled a shark in on a 3/0 hook, they all seem to get it hooked corner of the mouth. 

A jewfish should take a mullet head or a big chunk of mullet right? Never actually successfully landed one. 

14 minutes ago, slothparade said:

Yeah, I was hopping to target jewfish at the same time (they would take a big slab of mullet right). can't rember what I was targeting but I was using a bigger bait off a peir, almost lost my rod over the side (I dived on it, I was helping someone with their boat pulling it closer with a rope) and it just took off. I was running out of line so I just put the reel on full drag just hopping to slow it down and tire it out but it wouldn't. Eventually broke me off and I got most of my lie back thankfully but still have no idea, I was advised it was probably a bronzie. 

I have had to so many problems with bull sharks but never really bronzies. 

A slab of mullet will be a good start, fresher the better and keep checking your bait every half hour or so  for pickers and sand crabs. If the pickers are a problem and you've bought whole mullet, use the head for bait with just a single hook through the snout.

Using such baits, all I've ever done when I feel a bite is lower the rod, take a couple of steps forward and strike when you feel the line tighten. Larger baits like live tailor, I give a bit more time for the fish to get it down. When I strike depends on the ferocity of how the fish takes the bait. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

A slab of mullet will be a good start, fresher the better and keep checking your bait every half hour or so  for pickers and sand crabs. If the pickers are a problem and you've bought whole mullet, use the head for bait with just a single hook through the snout.

Using such baits, all I've ever done when I feel a bite is lower the rod, take a couple of steps forward and strike when you feel the line tighten. Larger baits like live tailor, I give a bit more time for the fish to get it down. When I strike depends on the ferocity of how the fish takes the bait. 

If I were to use a half mullet would putting slits down it on both sides to get the sent out be a wise idea? also should I rig it like a shark bait by pretty much sewing it with wire? I would like to target both shark and Jewfish

2 minutes ago, motiondave said:

try some good frozen squid or calamari. I will give you a tip, got to a fish shop and ask if they have box of frozen calamari and or squid, if they do, have a look, its probably a lot fresher and cheaper than from a bait shop. I get hand length size calamari frozen , 1 kg at $15 a kilo, and the fish love it.

as opposed to paying $45 a kilo for squid from bait shop

I was going to try that, thanks. I was also going to try asking the local fish shop if they would just give me the scraps or sell me them at a cheaper price. There's a shop called bait suppliers who claim to have the very fresh bait, "the eyes of the squid are still green when we vacuum seal them". Using squid off the beach, would you use a snell rig? or how would you stop it from dethatching 

3 hours ago, slothparade said:

You've seen some of @JonD's post & he would be.able to direct you better than most.

I just think you need a decent gauge hook which could be more important to the size??

10 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Last December I was dishing for whiting with this stupid telescopic rod I found on the road. Went to set the hook and the bugger folded up LOL 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kingie chaser said:

You've seen some of @JonD's post & he would be.able to direct you better than most.

I just think you need a decent gauge hook which could be more important to the size??

I think a mixture of gauge and size matter (both compliment each other). I'll send him a message, thanks

30 minutes ago, motiondave said:

at $45 a kilo, I use the alternative and have success. Either whole or in bits.

I use just a hook and put a bit strip out on beach usually. It's been a long time since I've been beach fishing. I should go again sometime, even if it's just me basking in the afternoon sun with a line out. 

Where are you buying the bait from to be $45 per kilo? 

Everytime I have gone beach fishing recently its been raining lol 

3 minutes ago, motiondave said:

Bait Shop on Woodville road in Guildford. Just too pricey for me. Nothing wrong with it though... But I do get my live prawns from there.

The fish shop in Fairfield forum is my "bait" shop

I used to get mine from woolies but it was $20 per a bag. Found a shop was $10 per a bag and the trawler was $15. Going to ask the local fish shop for their scraps when I get a chance 

4 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

If you want some good, cheap bait for sharks and jew off the beach, throw a few metals around the edges of the gutters when you first get there for a tailor or a salmon.

You won't get any fresher than that.

How far out will they be? I have tried a few time with no luck