Is this a circle hook or a J hook?

1 minute ago, kingie chaser said:

I think it would depend on the size/type of the shark your targetingĀ 

35267A9200000578-3636449-image-a-7_1465640203585.jpg.91de2c707a61be1b5dda11caa3b1fdb0.jpg

Attach that to the winch of the landcruiser and put it in reverse should be goodĀ 

50 minutes ago, slothparade said:

I was going to try that, thanks. I was also going to try asking the local fish shop if they would just give me the scraps or sell me them at a cheaper price. There's a shop called bait suppliers who claim to have the very fresh bait, "the eyes of the squid are still green when we vacuum seal them". Using squid off the beach, would you use a snell rig? or how would you stop it from dethatchingĀ 

at $45 a kilo, I use the alternative and have success. Either whole or in bits.

I use just a hook and put a bit strip out on beach usually. It's been a long time since I've been beach fishing. I should go again sometime, even if it's just me basking in the afternoon sun with a line out.Ā 

30 minutes ago, motiondave said:

at $45 a kilo, I use the alternative and have success. Either whole or in bits.

I use just a hook and put a bit strip out on beach usually. It's been a long time since I've been beach fishing. I should go again sometime, even if it's just me basking in the afternoon sun with a line out.Ā 

Where are you buying the bait from to be $45 per kilo?Ā 

Everytime I have gone beach fishing recently its been raining lolĀ 

8 minutes ago, slothparade said:

Where are you buying the bait from to be $45 per kilo?Ā 

Everytime I have gone beach fishing recently its been raining lolĀ 

Bait Shop on Woodville road in Guildford. Just too pricey for me. Nothing wrong with it though... But I do get my live prawns from there.

The fish shop in Fairfield forum is my "bait" shop

3 minutes ago, motiondave said:

Bait Shop on Woodville road in Guildford. Just too pricey for me. Nothing wrong with it though... But I do get my live prawns from there.

The fish shop in Fairfield forum is my "bait" shop

I used to get mine from woolies but it was $20 per a bag. Found a shop was $10 per a bag and the trawler was $15. Going to ask the local fish shop for their scraps when I get a chanceĀ 

8 minutes ago, slothparade said:

I used to get mine from woolies but it was $20 per a bag. Found a shop was $10 per a bag and the trawler was $15. Going to ask the local fish shop for their scraps when I get a chanceĀ 

I do buy frozen bait prawns from tackle Shop as well.

Or sometimes the cheap banana prawns , shelled and cut into chunks for bait. Depends what I'm trying to catch. As mentioned, I've not been beach fishing for ages.Ā 

• Thanks 1

If you want some good, cheap bait for sharks and jew off the beach, throw a few metals around the edges of the gutters when you first get there for a tailor or a salmon.

You won't get any fresher than that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

If you want some good, cheap bait for sharks and jew off the beach, throw a few metals around the edges of the gutters when you first get there for a tailor or a salmon.

You won't get any fresher than that.

How far out will they be? I have tried a few time with no luckĀ 

10 hours ago, slothparade said:

How far out will they be? I have tried a few time with no luckĀ 

They can be anywhere from just behind the shorebreak to well out of casting distance.

The best place I've found to start is right on the sides of holes and gutters where the white wash from the banksĀ is spilling into the deeper water.

If your beach has a dune or high car park behind it, look for dark patches in the water from up there, preferably close in. This will most likely be fish.

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

They can be anywhere from just behind the shorebreak to well out of casting distance.

The best place I've found to start is right on the sides of holes and gutters where the white wash from the banksĀ is spilling into the deeper water.

If your beach has a dune or high car park behind it, look for dark patches in the water from up there, preferably close in. This will most likely be fish.

Could dark water be weed patches as well? Is there a difference to look for?

34 minutes ago, slothparade said:

Could dark water be weed patches as well? Is there a difference to look for?

It can be weed. That's why I said "most likely be fish".

Weed will generally look a lot darker in colour than fish, but not always and fish may also move slowly along the beach.

Also, keep an eye out for other obvious signs, such as terns diving and concentrated seagull activity, baitfish rippling on the surface etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1