Old Bar, Taree triple water spout action

Posted (edited)

Just saw this on the news & the news reader said oh its not a danger to anyone, its not a tornado just a water spout.................. :insane:

https://www.portnews.com.au/story/7238381/triple-water-spout-action-off-mid-north-coast/

1066633070_waterspouts.thumb.jpg.c4d23a73065853588f06c941a60ed9b7.jpg

Still I would hate to be sitting in my boat having a fish & one puts down on top of me, let alone 3 🤨😬

Apparently 3 turned into 5 a bit later 🌪️🌪️🌪️🌪️🌪️..........................😲

Pretty amazing spectacle but dont want to be near one! 

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 5

Yeah no danger...unless you end up under one and ALL your gear in the boat gets vacuumed out & disapears!!!!

• Sad 1

Have seen them at different times. As said, do not want to be under one.

I saw one off Maroubra quite a few years ago, a fishing trawler was cruising around having a look at the spout which was near shore, and I would estimate the spout to have been about 100 foot, maybe a little bigger across, by the size of the boat. 

Back in 2015, a water spout crossed the ocean off Cronulla and landed across Kurnell, winds to 213 K/H, equivalent to a Category 3 cyclone. I did not see the actual spout, but the weather radar showed a definite twister in the rain cloud as it crossed land.

8 hours ago, Yowie said:

Have seen them at different times. As said, do not want to be under one.

For sure. You’d definitely lose all those light cork handline things from your boat ! 🤪

cheers Z

• Haha 2

Here’s one on a trip I took north about two years ago! Same time of year too! 
Was a fair distance from us but we still kept an eye on it! 

789EEC77-05C5-4A61-9F04-EC4351697484.thumb.jpeg.269a9c53692edb9e9b6ba9db10f687a5.jpeg

• Like 2

I was off Kurnell in the Police launch one time and a huge waterspout kicked off about 200m away. I most definately wouldn't want to be in its path. Lots of power to suck up that much water.

9 hours ago, Yowie said:

Back in 2015, a water spout crossed the ocean off Cronulla and landed across Kurnell, winds to 213 K/H, equivalent to a Category 3 cyclone. I did not see the actual spout, but the weather radar showed a definite twister in the rain cloud as it crossed land.

You can still see the path it took, along the coast trail at Jibbon.  Looks like a scythe has cleared the bush at a width of around 100m for almost 1klm before heading off across Bate Bay and then, of course, hitting Kurnell.

Here's a couple of pics I shot of one crossing land from my front windows just south of Jervis Bay. 

The 2nd pic shows it starting to break up as it moved inland.

B0000867.jpg

B0000874.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1