Brisbane waters for later on this month,

leonardgid

Hello raiders ,    i need  suggestions  on how and where to fish Brisbane waters late May early June , we will be using a boat  during the day , any advice will be very helpful, thank you for your reply.

Check some of the other posts about spots around the entrance. Apparently someone had quite good luck around some mangroves with a live poddy mullet. They also were spooled. I'll be up there latish june so let me know how you go. 

13 minutes ago, slothparade said:

Check some of the other posts about spots around the entrance. Apparently someone had quite good luck around some mangroves with a live poddy mullet. They also were spooled. I'll be up there latish june so let me know how you go. 

will do thanks for the tip

I have heard that the Flathead are still around , March - may is the bream run and the good thing about Brisbane waters is it is reasonably small so it doesn’t take long to get from Gosford to umina either by boat or car .

I have marked up a map with the areas I usually fish .

1- half tide rocks , drift here around the channel markers either tide - I usually prefer it when the water is running so middle half of either tide . The channel does a hard left turn heading out to sea and this marker sits on a reef so when you get close to this marker lift your rig up off the bottom or you will lose it ! Running sinker rig 4/0 hook with enough lead to keep it on the bottom and I usually fish Garfish strips or Hawkesbury prawns but live poddy mullet ( if you can get them ) are also a top bait .Top Flathead spot .

2- Wagstaffe , there is a deep hole here also worth a drift .The sand flat between 2 & 3 is where you can pump nippers and a drift between 2 & 3 is also worth a go but traffic here can be horrendous and all through here you have to give way to the ferry  so if you see it coming get out of the way !

4- Deep bay , on the run out a giant eddy forms in here and you can let an unweighted bait float around as well as dropping a bait down deep . The bottom is a bit weedy / reef structure in close so I fish a paternoster rig and lift the sinker up off the bottom about a metre. Bream , Mulloway , kings , Sharks and Flathead are all caught here .

5- North side of the Rip. Another deep hole fishes much the same as spot 4 but more sand bottom .

6- Sand / weed bottom good for drifting for Flathead , bream and whiting also the flats around here are good for lure fishing with plastics .

7-Saratoga- A bit of a hole here and worth a try but can be full of pickers . A drift from here to spot 6 is also worth doing especially for Flathead .

8- Paddy’s channel Drift through here either down to spot 7 or north out into the broadwater, Bream ,Flathead and whiting but can be very busy with boat traffic and I preferred  dawn or dusk when the traffic drops off .

The main baits I use in Brisbane waters are Hawkesbury prawns, Garfish fillets , pink nippers and if I can get them live poddy mullet but a live or fresh Hawkesbury Squid down in spots 4 & 5 is what I would use for Mulloway there .

I generally use a running sinker rig with just enough lead to get it to the bottom when drifting , hooks range from #4 to 4/0 but generally #4 longshank for whiting using nippers or prawns , #1- 1/0  longshank for bream using nippers, prawns or Garfish fillets and 4/0 longshank for Flathead as I usually fish garfish fillets or Hawkesbury prawns for these .

I typically drift so I cover more ground and it helps to keep the pickers at bay.

There are no crab traps allowed in here also .

You can also try a few drifts in the Broadwater , I would look at drifting along or around any moorings as they give cover for baitfish which will attract Flathead.

Hope that helps !

C911961B-01DF-4510-BE0D-B87DDF5F387E.thumb.jpeg.e2e3c444ee4b5ca5f8599ee942e189c8.jpeg

Edited by XD351
To add more content
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2021 at 12:14 PM, leonardgid said:

Hello raiders ,    i need  suggestions  on how and where to fish Brisbane waters late May early June , we will be using a boat  during the day , any advice will be very helpful, thank you for your reply.

hey mate i hope it is not to late for this advice but around the islands in Brisbane waters tends to hold a few good whiting and flat head