A Fishing Sesh with Derek D

finfur

Been doing a lot of E-learning on the site about fishing in Sydney. Took up the courage to ask Derek and he kindly obliged a stranger. Although the session was shorter than expected, I learned a lot from him. The man is a wealth of knowledge. For those who wonder what Derek means when he writes , ' walking the dog" lure presentation, you need to engage him to see it in action. From showing you how to cast efficiently to working different lures, the teacher has the patience and energy to slowly walk you through the paces. If you wish to flatten and shorten the learning curve, he's the one you seek.

I was mentally exhausted when I got home and I'm better for it today. A lot more work is still required to correct bad habits I formed in the past. Casting efficiently is definitely number one on my to do list. Lets not talk about the different lures, presentations, etc. I'm still processing the data....

A big shout out to Derek and Fishraider. 

He is as rare as a hen's teeth in the modern world (to impart his knowledge to strangers) and truly an ambassador of the sport. 

I'm looking forward to the next session when time permits....

Hopefully my auto pilot traits are better this time Derek.

• Like 16

There are other members on Fishraider who share their expertise with others. That's one of the benefits to being a member. Derek is a little bit different in as much as he has an insatiable desire to be learning ALL THE TIME. Even more relative is the fact that he is the most generous person you will meet (EVER). He absolutely loves to pass on his knowledge and skills to others. Now that's not uncommon, teachers do it for a living...but they get paid to do it. Derek is quite satisfied to see the smile on his students face and the success when they achieve their objective.

I'm glad that you had the benefit of his instruction fin fur, you will be a much improved angler because of it. Derek has helped me many times, in fact he continues to do so. I'm proud to call him a mate. bn

• Like 2

Hi @finfur

It was a pleasure to meet you and I'm looking forward to the next session.

The jump from freshwater to saltwater can take a bit of a learning curve but now that you have seen the techniques in practice I'm pretty confident you will have that autopilot reprogrammed over the next few weeks.

We still have quite a few topics to cover and there will be a few fish and laughs along the way. I'm curious to hear what your next purchases will be.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 4:26 AM, big Neil said:

I'm proud to call him a mate. bn

The reverse is also true Neil. Hope to see you sooner rather than later.

I keep looking forward to that phone call along the lines of "I'd like to get (insert challenge here) off my fishing bucket list".

Edited by DerekD
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2021 at 4:26 AM, big Neil said:

There are other members on Fishraider who share their expertise with others. That's one of the benefits to being a member. Derek is a little bit different in as much as he has an insatiable desire to be learning ALL THE TIME. Even more relative is the fact that he is the most generous person you will meet (EVER). He absolutely loves to pass on his knowledge and skills to others. Now that's not uncommon, teachers do it for a living...but they get paid to do it. Derek is quite satisfied to see the smile on his students face and the success when they achieve their objective.

I'm glad that you had the benefit of his instruction fin fur, you will be a much improved angler because of it. Derek has helped me many times, in fact he continues to do so. I'm proud to call him a mate. bn

Agreed!