Hairtailing the Hawkesbury

swordfisherman

I have the hairtail bug again and with upgrades to the boat and new tackle it’s become an addiction again like all my fishing. The usual spots are no secret and while not around in numbers the are of good size with good tailor and small Jews abundant it’s great fun.

A6982C9E-5C80-4D78-8F0F-29B28DF09481.jpeg

9E3DAEB2-41A5-4FEB-A187-3AE370F3E228.jpeg

7D7663DF-5B29-4DC2-910D-ECCF1364267B.jpeg

E95C0DA7-327F-4721-B05E-241B8523EA6A.jpeg

• Like 12

What are they like as a table fish Stewy? So many choices for you Sydneysiders to target. I really admire the fact that so many of you coastal anglers are very adept at catching numerous different species. The result of putting the time in and being proficient with different techniques, I imagine. bn

Top effort Stewy and Donna - interestingly, the last really good Hairtail catch for me was after the last “Big Wet” a few years ago. Do you leave your side light on when fishing to at track the bait fish?

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

What are they like as a table fish Stewy? So many choices for you Sydneysiders to target. I really admire the fact that so many of you coastal anglers are very adept at catching numerous different species. The result of putting the time in and being proficient with different techniques, I imagine. bn

I've heard they're delicious but lots of effort to gut and clean, lots of bones, but as good as any white fish gets apparently

• Thanks 1

Oooh. Now you’ve started an itch.  Hmm may be the right time to target while night time temps are still in double digits!  Top job. Thanks for the report. 

51 minutes ago, Berrero said:

I've heard they're delicious but lots of effort to gut and clean, lots of bones, but as good as any white fish gets apparently

Agree on taste but quite contrary on preparation and bones. Lop off the head. The gut runs less than 1/3 of fish and is simple to remove (no black lining etc). There are no scales. Rub with hessian or edge of knife to remove the slime. Chunk into 8in lengths for cooking or fillet. There is a solid bone line running whole length of fish which separates away from flesh cleanly except for the  gut flaps which have a few flexible bones. 
cheers Zoran 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Berrero said:

Really easy to clean- cut into 6 inch pieces, turn each piece 90 degrees (so it's up/down rather than long-ways) and fillet the piece, you get virtually all the meat and no bones. Excellent eating and suitable for all cooking methods from frying to steaming or BBQ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Top effort Stewy and Donna - interestingly, the last really good Hairtail catch for me was after the last “Big Wet” a few years ago. Do you leave your side light on when fishing to at track the bait fish?

Lights are a new addition and yes they stay on until back at the ramp

6 hours ago, big Neil said:

Absolutely yummy and a bit of salt and batter cooked in oil flesh down first 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice work Stewy :thumbup:

What is your tackle/rig/bait set up for targeting the hairtail??

free floating big tweed bait squid (the ones from the pack of 3) or a steak from woolies with a wire trace and a circle hook for easy removal. Keep the tension very high to stop them from wrapping themselves around the leader. When you go to land it, just hold them up for a couple of seconds so it unravels itself in case it is tied around the leader then use pliars and remove the hook

1 hour ago, slothparade said:

free floating big tweed bait squid (the ones from the pack of 3) or a steak from woolies with a wire trace and a circle hook for easy removal. Keep the tension very high to stop them from wrapping themselves around the leader. When you go to land it, just hold them up for a couple of seconds so it unravels itself in case it is tied around the leader then use pliars and remove the hook

That’s eel fishing my boy 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

OK Stewy you have got my attention. I am flat out at the moment with several projects, but I just have to find time to go and try my luck with the bumper bars soon. Last year was the first season I missed out all together , not even 1 session on the Hawkesbury, and boy didn't that hurt.

Frank

On 5/10/2021 at 9:02 AM, mrsswordfisherman said:

Might be time to organise a raider assault on the Hairtail. If there is interest we may be able to seek out a prize :)

Swordie ate the hairtail last night and really enjoyed the fillets.

I might join u guys this year hahaha

Haven’t fished for them for a long time but can remember catching fish nearly two metres in coal and candle.  We use hand lines and the most important part was the curtain ring to which was attached the heavy hand line on one side and the wire trace and rig on the other. As you all probably know they can exert tremendous sideways pressure and the last couple of metres of lift can be difficult.  With this rig you just hook a finger or two into the curtain ring and the lift is then very one sided—your way!   Hold the fish in a vertical position once you’ve got it over the gunwhale and put your other hand round the back of its neck and choke it by exerting finger pressure on the gullet which is very soft and fragile. Dies pretty quickly and avoids the chance of a vicious bite!  Excellent eating quality. We used onion bags to scrub the silverfrost off the fish before cutting into six inch slabs.  Pan fried in butter and olive oil for a minute or two after rolling in rice flour—beautiful!

4 hours ago, bookwa said:

Haven’t fished for them for a long time but can remember catching fish nearly two metres in coal and candle.  We use hand lines and the most important part was the curtain ring to which was attached the heavy hand line on one side and the wire trace and rig on the other. As you all probably know they can exert tremendous sideways pressure and the last couple of metres of lift can be difficult.  With this rig you just hook a finger or two into the curtain ring and the lift is then very one sided—your way!   Hold the fish in a vertical position once you’ve got it over the gunwhale and put your other hand round the back of its neck and choke it by exerting finger pressure on the gullet which is very soft and fragile. Dies pretty quickly and avoids the chance of a vicious bite!  Excellent eating quality. We used onion bags to scrub the silverfrost off the fish before cutting into six inch slabs.  Pan fried in butter and olive oil for a minute or two after rolling in rice flour—beautiful!

Geeze mate pretty well exactly how I started off catching them back in the 60's I started with hand lines and curtain rings and moved on to short stubby rods and thin slices of 2-1/2" pvc pipe the curtain rings became hard to get. I could make a dozen finger grips with 6 " of P V C . I used hessian bags , soak the bag lay it on the gunwale OR floor and rub the silver off the fish. 

Frank