Reel doesn't spin for long

Hi All,

First post - hope this question makes sense...

I recently bought a Stradic 1000HGFK second hand and it seems in pretty rough condition. When I spin the handle really fast on my other Stradic reels and let go they usually keep rotating for 4-5 seconds plus. They're light to start cranking and feel smooth. This reel on the other hand is heavy to start turning and feels like it is pushing back against me gently. If I spin it really fast it only keeps spinning for 1-2 seconds. I've taken it apart completely to see what was going on and it seems there is some light rusting in the top pinion ball bearing. I took it out and cleaned it up a bit and added a little grease but it didn't get much better.

Could a slightly rusted pinion ball bearing be the cause of this issue or should I be looking elsewhere? I ordered a set of 6 replacement stainless steel ball bearings already and am hoping installing these will fix the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers,

Sam

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Be careful - sometimes too much grease can have the opposite effect clogging up the bearings.

If i was you, id have it serviced by shimano

I sometimes use a little syringe to get a small amount, is this a good idea? I have changed a few of my reels bearings because they were from a junk yard (completely gone) and they work nicely now. 

• Like 1

Don't put grease in the bearings of a 1000 size reel. No matter how good your bearings are the reel will always feel stiff. A light amount of grease on the gears and other moving internal parts, but never on the bearings.

Use a quality oil and keep the maintenance up.

For the record, in my small spin reels I use Inox MX5. The oil that comes in the needle nosed bottle, not the spray can.

• Like 5

+1 on the recommendation of sending it in for service. Reasonably priced and they will do a complete tear down, clean and then quote for replacement parts

Did this exact thing for my ci4 2500, had a similar issue and turned out one of the bearings was damaged

Also recommend a drag washer upgrade while you are at it, they only charge $10 or so for it and the felt -> carbon drag washer upgrade was a huge difference for me

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!!!

How much does a proper service usually cost?

I am treating this as a learning exercise now to see if I can do this myself - there's no way I would have disassembled my Certates, Ignis or Luvias reels. This Stradic 1000 reel cost me about $140 and I've dropped $35 on bearings, $8 on a Carbontex drag washer and also just ordered Daiwa reel oil for about $12 so I am about $195 in on a reel that I could have bought brand new for a little more 😖.

I'm thinking if I replace the 6 bearings in the reel with the brand new stainless steel ones, oil them with the Daiwa oil which has a needle point as I go and add the carbontex washer in I should be good to go?

The interesting thing is that the startup inertia for turning the handle isn't great, but it seems worse when reeling at speed...

from the shimano website

Service Pricing

$30 per reel
$50 per conventional or game reel
All pricing is labour only and additional charges may be applied for parts.

Or you could just go to your local tackle shop

Edited by nutsaboutfishing
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Salvatore said:

Thanks everyone!!!

How much does a proper service usually cost?

I am treating this as a learning exercise now to see if I can do this myself - there's no way I would have disassembled my Certates, Ignis or Luvias reels. This Stradic 1000 reel cost me about $140 and I've dropped $35 on bearings, $8 on a Carbontex drag washer and also just ordered Daiwa reel oil for about $12 so I am about $195 in on a reel that I could have bought brand new for a little more 😖.

I'm thinking if I replace the 6 bearings in the reel with the brand new stainless steel ones, oil them with the Daiwa oil which has a needle point as I go and add the carbontex washer in I should be good to go?

The interesting thing is that the startup inertia for turning the handle isn't great, but it seems worse when reeling at speed...

Go for it! Absolute worst case if you stuff anything up just sweep all the parts into a box and send to shimano for service, they are more than happy to do reassembly with services apparently

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Berrero said:

Go for it! Absolute worst case if you stuff anything up just sweep all the parts into a box and send to shimano for service, they are more than happy to do reassembly with services apparently

What!? Really?

Can't tell if serious or trolling!

Perhaps as a cautionary tale, I thought I should close out what happened for me on this one :)

I received and replaced all the ball bearings in the reel today and whilst doing so, I noticed the roller clutch assembly has some corrosion. Seems like the previous owner might have dropped it in the drink at some stage. In any case, I will need to replace the roller clutch assembly to get the reel back into tip top shape. After putting the reel back together I found it was ever so slightly smoother but the handle was still unexplainably heavy to turn. Another $45 down the drain! At least I know how a spinning reel works now... maybe worth the lesson :) 

Would a slightly corroded roller clutch assembly explain heavy turning of the reel?

Edited by Salvatore

6 hours ago, Salvatore said:

Would a slightly corroded roller clutch assembly explain heavy turning of the reel?

Possibly. Its hard to say without seeing the reel in person. Unusual noise around that area would be a giveaway.

If you've pulled the reel to bits as far as you have, why not pull the anti reverse bearing apart and have a look? If the reel has been dunked it could just be salt and possibly some sand causing the problem and you'll get to see the condition of the roller bearings.

Hard way to learn a lesson, buying a used reel. I don't know how you bought it, but personally I'd never buy a second hand reel other than a simple centerpin on Alvey without holding in my hand and giving it a good test first.

• Like 2

Hmmm, thats an idea... might as well pull it apart. I've found I can order a replacement for about $25 which I am going to do anyway...

You're right - I bought the reel online which was a mistake - I was curious about 1000 size reels but didn't want to drop the full amount for a new one... which I have done at the end of the day! I am glad at the same time because I have learned SO much by pulling it apart and reassembling it twice so far. I would actually recommend it for other newbies if they've got a reel they don't care about too much because I think I have a far better idea of how it all works and what I need to do to keep my reels in tip top condition.

I bought another reel second hand yesterday but this time saw it in person and couldn't be happier. It is so clean and beautiful inside and out!

Thanks for all the responses!

You're right, being able to fully service your own reels is a very handy talent to have and no more downtime and expense waiting for a manufacturer to service along with the shipping. If you can totally strip down and reassemble a Stradic you can do the same to any reel. Also if you're keen you can replace a few bushings with bearings as an upgrade.

I should have added before that if you're going to service your anti reverse bearing, be sure to use very little oil on the rollers, if any at all. Too much and the anti reverse won't work. Definitely no place for grease of any type here.

Good/better luck with the new reel. Sounds like you got a beauty.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Salvatore said:

Thanks Green Hornet! When you say the anti reverse bearing, is that the same as the roller clutch assembly?

Sorry if that is a dumb question

Sure is and definitely not a dumb question.

Different brands have different names for parts and you just get used to calling them one or the other.

• Like 2

If anyone is interested in how this turned out, I received the new roller clutch assembly and installed it today. The reel is all back together, and smoother than before I started this saga but the inertia in spinning the reel (which is what bothered me in the first place!) is still there :(

I'll probably send it in to Shimano after a season of use and hopefully they'll be able to sort out the inertia issue but for now the reel is functioning smoothly enough, I know there is no corrosion in it, all the bearings have been replaced and I've learned a hell of a lot... (and my wallet is lighter!)

• Like 2