DIY soft plastics and hardbodies

slothparade

Sorry I wasn't sure where to post this.

I was curious if anyone could tell me how to make soft plastics at home. Here are some question I have

1. I have seen many different types of plastic being used and am not sure which one?

2. Can I use a 3d printer to make the molds out of pla plastic?

3. will I need to buy/ get a second microwave or can I just move the kitchen one outside and move it back them im done?

4. can I 3d print lures and how do I get them to sit and move properly?

5. Where do you buy the plastic/ resin from, e.g. bunnings, hardware and general? 

6. is it a good idea to recycle old lures? 

7. If you recycle old lures, can you mix and match or do you need to recycle the same type?

Thank you in advance, sorry for so many question. In my research I couldn't find any forums on here and all the videos appeared to be american so working out if it is legal here or not is hard and I didn't want to pay heaps in shipping. 

you can buy the molds and material on ebay, I think mostly they're American,

I have known a couple of guys that used to do it,

if you're recycling soft plastics I'm about positive you can't mix brands, most brand of soft plastic will melt when they come in contact with a different one 

17 hours ago, slothparade said:

I was curious if anyone could tell me how to make soft plastics at home. Here are some question I have

1. I have seen many different types of plastic being used and am not sure which one?

* There is no simple answer to that question ,depends on species you are targeting and the where you are fishing .

* Yes but PETG may be a better filament- you need to do some research on this  , designing it in CAD will be the hard part - probably a loft or revolve command followed by a split body then a shell command to give you a hollow sections that are  then glued together ( you could do it in one piece with minimum infill set in the slicer also so your lure floats ) you could also use a flexible filament for a soft body or even a soft plastic but I’m not sure how durable it would be . 
Getting the right balance and action :
You are trying to copy something that the fish eat so your design should be based on the shapes of that - you will have to experiment with this as it cannot be taught , wide bibs give wide action , long bibs go deeper and the angle of the bib also plays a massive part in both of these settings .

3. will I need to buy/ get a second microwave or can I just move the kitchen one outside and move it back them im done?

* Not sure what you mean here but I am guessing it is for curing resin?

* see question 2 

5. Where do you buy the plastic/ resin from, e.g. bunnings, hardware and general? 
* You could use a resin printer to make these , to cast the shapes in a mold you need a two part mixture that I doubt bunnings will sell . I would look at model making suppliers or on the internet for casting plastic .

* Not sure what you mean ?

7. If you recycle old lures, can you mix and match or do you need to recycle the same type?

*same as 6 .

Thank you in advance, sorry for so many question. In my research I couldn't find any forums on here and all the videos appeared to be american so working out if it is legal here or not is hard and I didn't want to pay heaps in shipping. 

Tried to answer as best I could by commenting your original post above - look for the *  , most home made lures are carved from wood or metal ( spoons and spinners ) you need to look at how much it is going to cost you to set all this up , probably much cheaper to wait for the big chain stores to put the lures on special and then buy in bulk . 
* please understand that many of the chemicals used in resin printers and casting plastics / resins contain toxic chemicals and can be harmful to your health !

Edited by XD351
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

No probs, good luck but I dont see to many people doing what your describing on here.

Maybe on the WWW. maybe?

In saying that I think there would be people making diy hard bodies out there, never seen it on here.

Yeah I had a quick look, not exactly what I was after though thanks 

10 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

if you're recycling soft plastics I'm about positive you can't mix brands, most brand of soft plastic will melt when they come in contact with a different one 

Is it because the colours mixing?

4 hours ago, XD351 said:

1. I have seen many different types of plastic being used and am not sure which one?

* There is no simple answer to that question ,depends on species you are targeting and the where you are fishing .

* Yes but PETG may be a better filament- you need to do some research on this  , designing it in CAD will be the hard part - probably a loft or revolve command followed by a split body then a shell command to give you a hollow sections that are  then glued together ( you could do it in one piece with minimum infill set in the slicer also so your lure floats ) you could also use a flexible filament for a soft body or even a soft plastic but I’m not sure how durable it would be . 
Getting the right balance and action :
You are trying to copy something that the fish eat so your design should be based on the shapes of that - you will have to experiment with this as it cannot be taught , wide bibs give wide action , long bibs go deeper and the angle of the bib also plays a massive part in both of these settings .

* Not sure what you mean here but I am guessing it is for curing resin?

* see question 2 

* You could use a resin printer to make these , to cast the shapes in a mold you need a two part mixture that I doubt bunnings will sell . I would look at model making suppliers or on the internet for casting plastic .

* Not sure what you mean ?

*same as 6 .

Tried to answer as best I could by commenting your original post above - look for the *  , most home made lures are carved from wood or metal ( spoons and spinners ) you need to look at how much it is going to cost you to set all this up , probably much cheaper to wait for the big chain stores to put the lures on special and then buy in bulk . 
* please understand that many of the chemicals used in resin printers and casting plastics / resins contain toxic chemicals and can be harmful to your health !

Thanks for the great detailed response. 

I have a 3d scanner so I was going to scan some existing lures and then make the mold from them, there are some already done CAD design molds. 

question 6 = is it worth recycling old lures? like cost effective?

question 3 = Will the toxins muck up the food micro wave?

question 4 = where do I buy the soft plastic to make the soft plastic lure (not the filament for the printer) and what is the stuff called?

Thanks again for the help

I have a 3d scanner so I was going to scan some existing lures and then make the mold from them, there are some already done CAD design molds. 

*probably not - even making new lures yourself will not be cost effective , if you think about it the time to design , print, paint ,test then fit hooks and rings on a hardbody will add up to a lot more than what you can buy the lure for from a tackle store .

*Yes .

question 4 = where do I buy the soft plastic to make the soft plastic lure (not the filament for the printer) and what is the stuff called?

* It is probably some sort of silicone for soft plastics and polyurethane for hard bodies that you will be looking for - both have a base and a  hardener which you will have to mix together . Factory made hardbody lures are injection molded so probably ABS or polypropylene .   

I can’t tell you where to buy these chemicals , look on the internet for model making supplies or molding supplies - one I found by searching for casting  plastic   https://www.rowetrading.com.au/category/casting-moulding-resins/
  Lure makers have their own secret formula for the soft plastic lures and it won’t be commercially available . Then you also need to remember we live in Australia and about 20% of what you see that is available to home hackers in America is available here. I have seen so many things I would like to buy that are U.S made but they won’t ship here .
Probably the easiest way to make your own lures ( hardbody) would be to print the body with a slot along the length underneath the lure so you can epoxy a wire with loops for hooks and tow point in and also another slot under the chin of the lure so you can epoxy a polycarbonate bib in place , this is much the same as making a timber lure except you don’t have to carve it out of a chunk of wood .

• Like 2

If you search for blank lures on ebay quite a few unpainted, hard bodied styles are available for around a dollar each. All you have to do is paint them up, add hooks and you're good to go. Only problem is you have to wait a while for them to come from China.

May not be what you're looking for, but another option that could get you started and save a few bucks long term over store bought lures.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

I'm printing the molds but thanks

On 5/12/2021 at 11:39 AM, slothparade said:

1. I have seen many different types of plastic being used and am not sure which one?

Hi mate I'll post some info up on the forum in fishing chat tonight, I've been making them for many years and can answer some of your questions

• Like 3

2 hours ago, XD351 said:

*probably not - even making new lures yourself will not be cost effective , if you think about it the time to design , print, paint ,test then fit hooks and rings on a hardbody will add up to a lot more than what you can buy the lure for from a tackle store .

*Yes .

* It is probably some sort of silicone for soft plastics and polyurethane for hard bodies that you will be looking for - both have a base and a  hardener which you will have to mix together . Factory made hardbody lures are injection molded so probably ABS or polypropylene .   

I can’t tell you where to buy these chemicals , look on the internet for model making supplies or molding supplies - one I found by searching for casting  plastic   https://www.rowetrading.com.au/category/casting-moulding-resins/
  Lure makers have their own secret formula for the soft plastic lures and it won’t be commercially available . Then you also need to remember we live in Australia and about 20% of what you see that is available to home hackers in America is available here. I have seen so many things I would like to buy that are U.S made but they won’t ship here .
Probably the easiest way to make your own lures ( hardbody) would be to print the body with a slot along the length underneath the lure so you can epoxy a wire with loops for hooks and tow point in and also another slot under the chin of the lure so you can epoxy a polycarbonate bib in place , this is much the same as making a timber lure except you don’t have to carve it out of a chunk of wood .

Thankyou for the detailed response. I will send a picture of some I have hard bodies I have already printed to test it.

I have downloaded some molds from online (thingyverse)

I have a piece of wood with a stencil to bend the wire for the hard bodie already 

47 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

If you're referring to mixing brands, the tsils react to each other and melt

Ahh ok. thanks

In answer to your questions

1)Australian soft plastics and Plastisol (American) are a good start.

2) No because the liquid plastic will destroy your mould

3) Not advisable to use your food microwave- buy a cheap or second hand one as there will be some residue at times

4) If you 3d print you may be breaking copyright law- just keep that in mind. Hardbodies often have a clear bib also

5)Moulding and casting supply shops or on line

6) You can to a certain extent re-mould the plastics you make and also repair them fairly easily

7)You need to recycle same types and colour- mixing colours usually results in an unattractive brown colour. Lighter colours are more adept for re using

• Like 2

I misinterpreted what the op wanted in question 1 , thought  they wanted to know what sp to use in what situation and not what type of material to use to make a sp 😳

• Like 2

18 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi mate I'll post some info up on the forum in fishing chat tonight, I've been making them for many years and can answer some of your questions

@wazatherfishermanthanks for the article. I have moved it to Articles in the Library. It is very good and all you need to know sloth 

@slothparadeI know you are a schoolboy and maybe if you study hard you could be go on to be a Marine Researcher or a maker of lures!

My other half went through a lure making fad. I am sure waza used the same guy to buy his moulds off and will msg you that info. 

One tip for you DO NOT USE YOUR MOTHER'S/FATHER'S MICROWAVE :ranting2: and start saving real hard to get all the bits and pieces for all these projects 👍

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@wazatherfishermanthanks for the article. I have moved it to Articles in the Library. It is very good and all you need to know sloth 

@slothparadeI know you are a schoolboy and maybe if you study hard you could be go on to be a Marine Researcher or a maker of lures!

My other half went through a lure making fad. I am sure waza used the same guy to buy his moulds off and will msg you that info. 

One tip for you DO NOT USE YOUR MOTHER'S/FATHER'S MICROWAVE :ranting2: and start saving real hard to get all the bits and pieces for all these projects 👍

Thanks. That article was very useful,

Always wanted to go into marine biology but its hard to find jobs. Also my subjects don't set me up for that :( (physics, chemistry, 3 unit maths, engineering, standard english (reduce work load LOL), modern history)

I'll go find one next council clean up LOL save the money for the other things to make the lures. 

Have been saving LOL, find things at council clean up, clean them and then sell them. 

I can give you some advice on this as ive had a shot at it myself.

Yes you can 3D print lures, ive made multiple and I use tinkercad (a free cloud based 3D modeling software).

Tinker cad has basic functions but if you can get your head around inverting copies of shapes to get more complex surfaces, its worth it.

To make them sit properly I suggest having cavities in the model and or having recesses for sinkers. 

I have made some poppers which i have tested in my pool, and they do displace relatively decent water and make good bubble trails. If you search up nyxyn.mason in tinker cad you can see my models. 

Hope this helps.