DIY soft plastics and hardbodies

slothparade

4 minutes ago, Nyxy said:

I can give you some advice on this as ive had a shot at it myself.

Yes you can 3D print lures, ive made multiple and I use tinkercad (a free cloud based 3D modeling software).

Tinker cad has basic functions but if you can get your head around inverting copies of shapes to get more complex surfaces, its worth it.

To make them sit properly I suggest having cavities in the model and or having recesses for sinkers. 

I have made some poppers which i have tested in my pool, and they do displace relatively decent water and make good bubble trails. If you search up nyxyn.mason in tinker cad you can see my models. 

Hope this helps.

I'll have a look thanks. Yeah I put little holes and 3 sinkers in it and it just rolls LOL.

I have used tinker cad before, seems alright 

Thanks for the advice 

Edited by slothparade
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, slothparade said:

I'll have a look thanks. Yeah I put little holes and 3 sinkers in it and it just rolls LOL.

if you comment on the models i can give details about them individually.

I would try offsetting the sinkers to be as low in the model as you can get away with.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nyxy said:

if you comment on the models i can give details about them individually.

I would try offsetting the sinkers to be as low in the model as you can get away with.

thanks. I will send some pics tonight. 

54 minutes ago, slothparade said:

I have used tinker cad before, seems alright 

Thanks for the advice 

Actually it's a good Physics project to work out how to stop the rolling 🙂

• Haha 1

For those who arent on tinkercad here are some examples of models I have made.

I have also made a popper with a spinning section which does what its designed to do but I need to refine my thruwire skills so that the lure cant move on the wire and doesnt break too easily. The First lure was "not in any way shape or form" based off of an ecogear SX 40(F).

Bream lure.png

Bubble popper.png

sinker recess v1.png

Whiting swim bait.png

Edited by Nyxy
image referencing
  • Like 2

You can also get Fusion360 for free if you are a student or home hobby user , this is what I use and it has the CAD built in if you want to use a CNC machine to make things - although they have throttled a lot back recently it is still quite good to use .

7 hours ago, Nyxy said:

@slothparade what modelling software do you use? and is it free?

I use tinker cad - free, vector works - not free (very expensive), fusion 360 - free for student (must have proof).

Fusion is the best, vector works is very complicated and hard.

Wasn't the biggest fan of tinker cad but its alright 

Edited by slothparade

If you go the hobby version of Fusion 360 you don’t need proof , it is free but there are limitations like how many files you can edit  etc , if you just want to draw or import a body and convert it to an stl or obj file it will serve you well .The student version is more like a free full version and that is why you need proof , if you are in school or tafe this shouldn’t be an issue . BTW what slicer do you use on your printer ?
Just getting back into Printing myself , always used cura as I seem to get along ok with it . One of the first jobs is some line retainers for my Alvey reels - pretty simple , just draw a half circle to suit my reels and extrude up 20mm %

12 hours ago, XD351 said:

If you go the hobby version of Fusion 360 you don’t need proof , it is free but there are limitations like how many files you can edit  etc , if you just want to draw or import a body and convert it to an stl or obj file it will serve you well .The student version is more like a free full version and that is why you need proof , if you are in school or tafe this shouldn’t be an issue . BTW what slicer do you use on your printer ?
Just getting back into Printing myself , always used cura as I seem to get along ok with it . One of the first jobs is some line retainers for my Alvey reels - pretty simple , just draw a half circle to suit my reels and extrude up 20mm %

Fusion 360 is the cut down version of auto cads full work place program, but it is great for making things for a hobby 

Yeah I use Cura to. I wouldn't use the adobe one, its way to hard and complex to get you rhead around - suits a lazer cutter more. BTW, anyone tried to lazer cut parts for hard bodies? 

I just got back to printing to. The head jammed and exploded putting plastic everywhere and frying the motherboard, so spare parts took about 6 weeks. 

Have you tried any of the metal filament? I was thinking I might get a thin metal layer for the lures to make them extra shiny or make blades (the vibrating part of the lure) for the spinner bait.

No never used a laser but I do have a plan to set up my 3020 cnc engraver to carve hardbody lures out of balsa , need to set up the 4th axis first .

No never used metal filament or carbon fibre etc , all of the printing i did was for electronics projects and bits for my workshop but as one of my other hobbies( I have too many )  is designing and building model engines ( steam and internal combustion ) I plan to use the printer to make proof of concept parts and jigs .

I see Wazza has posted the second instalment of his lure molding Masterclass .

16 hours ago, XD351 said:

No never used a laser but I do have a plan to set up my 3020 cnc engraver to carve hardbody lures out of balsa , need to set up the 4th axis first .

No never used metal filament or carbon fibre etc , all of the printing i did was for electronics projects and bits for my workshop but as one of my other hobbies( I have too many )  is designing and building model engines ( steam and internal combustion ) I plan to use the printer to make proof of concept parts and jigs .

17 hours ago, XD351 said:

You like model trains to? 

On 5/14/2021 at 11:01 AM, Nyxy said:

For those who arent on tinkercad here are some examples of models I have made.

I have also made a popper with a spinning section which does what its designed to do but I need to refine my thruwire skills so that the lure cant move on the wire and doesnt break too easily. The First lure was "not in any way shape or form" based off of an ecogear SX 40(F).

Bream lure.png

Bubble popper.png

sinker recess v1.png

Whiting swim bait.png

Can't upload the photos sorry. They're to big. Sorry for the late reply, been very busy. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2021 at 10:32 PM, dirvin21 said:

you can buy the molds and material on ebay, I think mostly they're American,

I have known a couple of guys that used to do it,

if you're recycling soft plastics I'm about positive you can't mix brands, most brand of soft plastic will melt when they come in contact with a different one 

Found that one the hard way a couple years ago. I bought a bunch of plastics to use and whacked then all in a small container. When I went to go fishing I had 1 soft plastic. 

• Like 1