Two Stroke not started for years

lastworm

Ok so my old man had a 16ft Glastron tri-hull that we bought a brand new 90hp two stroke Yamaha for back in the day when they were the latest and greatest thing. We would use it every weekend until life got in the way and our regular trips became less and less regular until they stopped completely.

So I decided a few years back that I’d re carpet the boat and make a removable casting deck for the front in the hope of turning it into a bit of a bream/bass weapon - especially given the stability of the tri-hull. 
Again, life got in the way and although I finished the interior I never got it on the water.
However I’ve now inherited the boat and have been thinking more and more about getting back into restoring it and doing more of a major transformation on it. Here’s the problem, by my maths we haven’t turned the motor over for about 20 years. It’s only got about 10 hours on it, and has been stored in a locked up garage it’s whole life.

I know it’s going to need a good going over, seals, spark plug, fuel filter, oil and fuel flushed and more before we can even THINK of starting it. But realistically does anyone have any idea how bad/costly it would be to get this thing back up and running? It ran perfectly beforehand and had no issues whatsoever.

Some people have said “yeah major service and she’ll be right” whilst others have told me to just bin the motor.

0221C9D1-434B-4E53-AFEE-289BDA969646.jpeg

677369D4-A5C8-4BAC-8000-A24EE833E0CF.jpeg

76A9BA3C-A7FF-403C-A7C9-1E9C5790FAC0.jpeg

7D3701B2-9AA1-42C7-83E5-12CA1D28FFD0.jpeg

1412FE68-9D96-4420-A9A3-75359BC84C79.jpeg

EE91BE1F-02D0-4B5E-A581-9D37C5718FD1.jpeg

Edited by lastworm
  • Like 3

There's a whole lot at play here, if you want to do it properly, rather than just root around hoping, first thing is clean the fuel tank, or run it off a 25l tank with a new fuel line (buy genuine fuel line with fittings and primer) then go through the carbs, they are pretty simple, but require proper cleaning, just soaking or spraying carb cleaner is NOT cleaning them, I guess it's got oil injection? If it has, remove the oil tank and thoroughly clean it out, then add fresh quality oil, mark the oil level on the container to check oil use (just for fun) next replace the entire water pump, not just the impeller, once again, use genuine parts, change the gear oil, replace the spark plugs and perhaps add a bit of two stroke oil in each cylinder and turn it over a bit by hand or starter, depending on the age, it may have a butterfly choke, make sure this working, they often jam up from no use, go from there and give it a try at starting.

Thanks for the reply noelm, doesn’t sound like too much trouble. I’ll probably have a look at it myself (have some mechanical knowledge although with car engines) and if it’s too much for me at least I know what a workshop should be charging for.

It is a great boat, very stable and gets up on the plane very quickly. The 90hp has more than enough go for this sized boat.

My plans were to remove the rails from the front, the old Bimini mounts, possibly take the windows off altogether, clean up a bit of the fiberglass, replace the seats with two single pedestal type seats and fit an electric up front.

Edited by lastworm

Yes, get rid of those horrible back to back seats, worst thing ever done to any boat ( my opinion ).

That boat will make a fantastic B B B boat that's Bream, Bass, Barra, great looking outfit.

I have a similar situation with an 90hp Evenrude E Tec I bought back when they were the new kid on the block, done about 90 hours on it and put it away, it stayed in a paddock down Bermagui for about 3 years, then I bought it home and it's been sitting in my mates front yard for the past 5-6 years, it's on the back of a Savage Lancer 5.3 and mildew is taking over, needs a really good karcha going over then down to Greys on line to see if it will sell.

Frank

• Like 1

last  worm as the guys said above.+i would spray some 80% 2 stroke oil mixed with 20% unleaded 91 or 95  no ethonal  of  course fuel mixed togeather in a spray bottle ,squirt in each cylinder leave plugs out and turn fly wheel over by hand for a atleast a minute .and then turn over with starter with plugs out for 30 secs .then you will be all good to fire her up with no damage to the girl cheers dunc 333

Edited by dunc333
  • Like 1

That a cool retro boat for sure & looks in pristine condition! 

Personally unless your going to do a total refit I like to keep things all original so I wouldn't touch a thing other than getting the motor up to grade & everything lubed.

It like those old Chris Craft timber boats, yes restore if need be but keep original imo.

Each to their own.

Enjoy it whatever you do, great family heirloom :thumbup: 

• Like 1

Hey Lastworm - does the motor have any sentimental value ? If so, then look into doing a major service and give it a turn over.

Otherwise your other option is to do a minor service get it to an acceptable condition and put it up for sale. Put some money ontop and get something newer and more reliable.

19 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Hey Lastworm - does the motor have any sentimental value ? If so, then look into doing a major service and give it a turn over.

Otherwise your other option is to do a minor service get it to an acceptable condition and put it up for sale. Put some money ontop and get something newer and more reliable.

Not as much sentimental value as the boat itself, however given it’s only got 10 hours on it, it would be a shame to let it go and I’d like to see them stay together if possible. It was extremely reliable when we were using it for the short time that we did. I know 4 stroke is the go these days, but I’d be happy with something that just gets me out on the water to begin with.

Might upgrade in the future if I need to.

Just now, lastworm said:

Not as much sentimental value as the boat itself, however given it’s only got 10 hours on it, it would be a shame to let it go and I’d like to see them stay together if possible. It was extremely reliable when we were using it for the short time that we did. I know 4 stroke is the go these days, but I’d be happy with something that just gets me out on the water to begin with.

Might upgrade in the future if I need to.

Oh dont worry bud...id pick a 2 stroke over 4 stroke any day. Thats not where i was headed !  Just wanted to point out that for some spare coin you could get something newer and possibly more.reliable.

With boats, being parked for a long time is not good.. theyre not like cars

• Like 1

If it has indeed sat for years, before you do any running around, at a minimum do the water pump, after years of sitting, chances are it will break apart and bits of rubber will be up into the cooling passages and block them off, even if you stop in time before you seize the engine, getting the out is a bugger of a job, far bigger than changing a water pump now.

• Like 3

Hi Worm

Just to summarise what the others have said

1. Pull the plugs and soak each cyl in a mix of 2 Stroke oil, do this and allow to soak in, turn the whole motor left to right with the steering and tilt every few days to spread the oil before trying to turn it over by hand.

2. Clean the Carbies

3. drain the fuel tank

4. Replace water pump assembly not just the impeller

5. Fuel pump diaphragm (Do the kit)

6. Fuel lines and primer including any hose under the cowl

7. Replace fuel filter, have another ready after the first tank or two replace again

8. Clean oil reservoir and as you add oil mark it in 500ml or 1ltr increments

9. Clean electrical sensor plugs

10. Grease the Steering Cable, Grease Nipples on Outboard and throttle

• 1 month later...

Haven’t started on it yet, new job and a bit time poor at the moment.

I did clean it out last weekend, it was being used as a storage facility in the garage unfortunately.

It did give me a chance to fall in love with it all over again though. Definitely going to get onto this thing and sort out over the next 12 months.

• Like 1