Rushcutters bream on crabbies

DaveBM

Hi all.

Just got back from trying sp as stationary bait for the first time, and it was an unqualified* success! 29cm and 37cm bream.

Gulp crabbies in “breen” colour were very popular, and seemingly mostly for decent sized fish. I know the water was lousy with puffers and juvenile bream, but most bites seemed to be serious.

8lb braid, 6lb flouro leader to a long shank baitholder, no weight.

Crispy skinned panfried fillets with tomato and cucumber salsa for brunch tomorrow.

*okay I also lost a chunky whiting (35+) on the lift due to a chafed leader that I had noticed, but was too lazy to address before casting again. So mea culpa there!

F030BEB7-3656-4610-AC2E-4BE8317666AD.jpeg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, motiondave said:

Fantastic job. Couple nice fishies, 

Do you have a photo of the plastic you were using?

This is the Gulp Crabby in Breen colour.

I use these also when it is a tough bite on Z-Man soft plastics. These Gulp lures fish almost like bait and don't generally last for me more than 3-4 casts as all the little claws (especially), antennae and legs get eaten by pickers and they're useless without those. They're a dynamite "bait" though for tough days.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-06-at-6.21.27-pm-1.png

Edited by Salvatore

1 hour ago, Salvatore said:

This is the Gulp Crabby in Breen colour.

I use these also when it is a tough bite on Z-Man soft plastics. These Gulp lures fish almost like bait and don't generally last for me more than 3-4 casts as all the little claws (especially), antennae and legs get eaten by pickers and they're useless without those. They're a dynamite "bait" though for tough days.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-06-at-6.21.27-pm-1.png

Don't they come in that bulk bottle thing with a whole heap of other softplastics?

Edited by slothparade

2 hours ago, slothparade said:

Don't they come in that bulk bottle thing with a whole heap of other softplastics?

I'm not sure but I bought a bunch of them in packets with only these - got them in Breen and Camo. I think there are about 10 per packet and they're about $10 a pack from memory.

Thanks Salvatore - those are the guys, and yeah roughly a buck a pop. But as long as you tweak it away and retrieve once a picker arrives, you only lose one leg/claw at a time and can go for a while. The smaller of my fish was still interested enough to go for one with maybe 5 legs and 1 claw remaining.

I lost the whiting at the end, not knowing any were around, and realised a few of my prior bites were probably whiting (requiring a faster response to the bite IMHO).

3 minutes ago, OttoVu said:

Whoa - are you saying that you threw these out and just left them there as if they were fresh baits ??  

You can do that, I've done it before. I wouldn't do it if they cost me a buck a pop...

To be fair, I bought like 10 packs of them from a shop one time as they were in a $2 clearance bin for some strange reason. They're perfectly fine!

Probably shouldn’t say this, but as I was the only one fishing the entire area I guess it’s okay: I reckon I arrived late in the bite (basically slack high tide), and could have kept hooking up for hours. Anyone looking for a dead easy landbased spot with nice lighting, plenty of room to shift around once you’ve spooked a spot, and typically a tail wind for casting - do yourself a favour.

Got a little tailor on a tiny popper too, just to find out what was splashing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OttoVu said:

Whoa - are you saying that you threw these out and just left them there as if they were fresh baits ??  

Super light gear, still conditions or tailwind - you have to keep in touch. But when the bream are going like last night the point is moot - most hookups were on the drop anyway (in like one metre of water!!!).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Salvatore said:

I'm not sure but I bought a bunch of them in packets with only these - got them in Breen and Camo. I think there are about 10 per packet and they're about $10 a pack from memory.

Ahh ok. I will see if I can find you a pic

• Like 1

To continue my TMI theme, the ones I was using were old and crappy (not just crabby!). I won’t name the vendor, but should not have been sold at full price. Very stiff material, and all folded up on themselves so they didn’t present very naturally to my eye.

I guess in the eyes of the bream they looked and felt like the very embodiment of a deliciously real crustacean, but I honestly wasn’t expecting much.