Jarvis bay platforms

Bmfb84

Hey fishos! 
Hope all are well, im heading down to jervis on the last weekend of may and I’ve got some time up my sleeve for a fish so I’m after some info on chasing kings land base around the jervis Bay Area if anyone can spare any info that would be awesome🤙🏻🎣🐟

Big Beecroft/Mermaids Inlet would be your best option. A bit of a walk, but easy access to the large ledge that can cope with quite a crowd of fishos.

In my opinion, platforms on the ocean side of the peninsula fish far better for winter kings than those inside Jervis Bay like The Tubes. The winter westerlies can make fishing The Tubes near impossible, plus you're in the shade all morning and it is bloody freezing.

The south end of Big Beecroft will handle all but the largest of swells and as you move northwards along the ledge it lowers to the water, making it a good option for lure fishing if the swell allows. If you're keen on live baiting try and get there early and throw a lure or bait right in close along the rocks for a pike. Garfish aren't as regular, but they are the gun bait if you can get one.

Eaves Ravine is another option, though its a bit of a climb down to the ledge and I wouldn't recommend it unless you've been there before, or go out and climb down without fishing gear to get to know the track.

A look on google earth will show there are other spots between Big Beecroft and Eaves Ravine that are quite easily accessible, though most are low to the water and require less than a metre of swell to remain fishable.  

Besides kings, its a good time of year to target groper, drummer and trevally in the washes at the same spots, but if you're heart is set on a king take the big gear, as the area is famous for big fish at this time of year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks heaps for the info I’ll let you guys know how I go 🤙🏻 Couldn’t find eaves ravine on the maps but I’ve ear marked a few spot along the coast not sure of all are accessible.                                 Any recommendations for lure types? Will they hit surface lures stickbaits   

CFB605D7-4B26-4EAF-82A7-28015D14444A.jpeg

Edited by Bmfb84
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bmfb84 said:

Thanks heaps for the info I’ll let you guys know how I go 🤙🏻 Couldn’t find eaves ravine on the maps but I’ve ear marked a few spot along the coast not sure of all are accessible.                                 Any recommendations for lure types? Will they hit surface lures stickbaits   

CFB605D7-4B26-4EAF-82A7-28015D14444A.jpeg

image.thumb.png.fc1f842a9e7accf9bc6bb1a573c5db9a.pngThat's my favorite one. Not sure what the ones down there take. Theres some big ones around that point I posted  

• Like 1

I have marked Eaves Ravine on the map below and the red lines indicate to tracks into both Big Beecroft and Eaves. The platform to fish at Eaves is the one on the south side of the ravine.

Access Eaves from a track off Crookhaven Pde in Currarong.

All the usual lures work, especially big stickbaits and poppers. A 5 or 6 inch bibbed lure will also snag a bonito or two if they're around.

Beecroft.jpg

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Bmfb84 said:

Hey guys what’s the biggest southerly swell mermaids inlet can handle? 

2.5-3.0m. The south end is quite high and will cope with a large swell.

The north end will be underwater though and if there's a few guys there it will become overcrowded.

There's not many other options now the bombing range is off limits. The Tubes will have the same overcrowding issue and Eaves Ravine won't cope with as large a swell as Mermaids, although it will go close.

• Thanks 1

Thanks dude 🤙🏻 Swells looking pretty bog on Friday starting at the 2.5m and getting up to the 4-5m mark so I might be giving it a miss and save it for another day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bmfb84 said:

Thanks dude 🤙🏻 Swells looking pretty bog on Friday starting at the 2.5m and getting up to the 4-5m mark so I might be giving it a miss and save it for another day.

If you're down around Currarong and still keen for a fish, the beach is protected from large, south swells and always worth a throw for a salmon ot tailor.

Just be aware of the sanctuary zone between Hammerhead and Kinghorn reefs.

• Like 2

I used to fish some ledges a couple of miles walk south of Stoney Creak about 55 years ago that needed a rope decent to ledges.  This was pre-kingy trap days and it was very rare not to have multiple kingy bags. 

My gear was a homemade Siloflex FT70 from USA which blank set me back nearly 2 months pay matched with a 6to1 Seascape reel loaded with 20lb nylon.  Kings averaged around 12lb to 15lb landed with a 14ft rangoon gaff.  Lures were WK arrows or homemade coppies but switched to big deep divers when they were fussy and followed lures to our feet without hitting.  Also used metal profiles jigs named Irons.  Mehod was throw as far as possible and wind back flat chat, or let sink deep and fast jig back.  There were some memorable days like a 32lb longtail landed,  a strike at my feet by a marlin and one day with monster barrel yellowfin porpoising along 50 metres out for most of the day resulting in 2 spool jobs and blistered thumbs.  Happy memories.   Ron 

• Like 4

@campr If I'm thinking of the same ledges you mention, I used to fish them a handful of times each season as well.

The first one you'd come to was Wallaby Rock and the next was Paradise Rock. You rarely see anyone on them these days.

My Dad and I used to make lures similar to WK Arrows from stainless steel bolts that he'd bring home from work, along with the popular half by quarters.

We always had room in the box for a few Iron Undertakers and Assassins.

• Like 1

You've picked it GH.  When I 1st fished there it was a secret spot that only a few locals knew and the scrub was that thick you had to nearly crawl through tunnels made by roos and wallabies.   The spot became more known following a big bushfire that exposed the track for all to see.  Ron 

• Like 2