My Wife Says I Have Too Many Rods! 😂

Berleyguts

So, my wife and I were about to go out in the car the other day. She stood there looking at my rod wall in the garage. I could hear her brain ticking over. I sensed the silent muttering under her breath. I could almost see her head shake and the steam coming out of her ears. She said, “I can’t understand why anyone would need 15 fishing rods!”.

So, without mentioning the fly rod, 2 x estuary luderick rods, 2 x side cast beach/rock rods (light & heavy), 2 x spinning beach/rock rods (light & heavy), that were in the room under the house behind the garage, I proceeded to explain...

”Well... there’s the 6kg, 10kg, 15kg game outfits (no 24kg or heavier outfits yet);  2 x light snapper rods with 20lb braid for flicking soft plastics and hard bodied lures; 2 x other rods with 20lb braid for drifting for flathead etc; the Sabiki rod rigged with bait jigs for catching slimies and yakkas;” (I let her think I’d always had that... it helps to stick a few fish scales on the blank or grips 😉 ...), “an old 4-6kg spin stick rigged with mono; 4 x light/ultra light spinning rods (2 with braid, 2 with mono) for fishing in the estuary, chasing bass or trout, or fun light tackle spinning for salmon, tailor and bonito around the offshore islands etc.; a light baitcaster rod; and that last one’s waiting for me to replace the tip runner.  AND... don’t forget that, although I can only use a few rods at a time, I need enough with me to cover all opportunities and if you and/or our son come out in the boat, we’ll need enough rods with us so that we can all fish at the same time. We are a family after all!”

She just continued to shake her head and I don’t think she was convinced. 🤷‍♂️

She should be grateful I only have 3 guitars...

... at the moment! 😂

So, whaddya reckon, Raiders? How many rods are enough? How many do you have???

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 2

Maybe you should go into the bathroom and open a few cupboards and ask why so many bottles of cream, jells etc not to mention her dressing table with all the different types of make up.

Some women have heaps some not much, same as men with fishing gear.

Personally I think the amount of rods I have is in excess sometimes but then again there's a nice outfit down the local tackle shop that wants to live with me.

Frank

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, frankS said:

Maybe you should go into the bathroom and open a few cupboards and ask why so many bottles of cream, jells etc not to mention her dressing table with all the different types of make up.

Some women have heaps some not much, same as men with fishing gear.

Personally I think the amount of rods I have is in excess sometimes but then again there's a nice outfit down the local tackle shop that wants to live with me.

Frank

She’s actually very much a minimalist... and she doesn’t own much makeup. She looks absolutely beautiful without it. 😍🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 2

Explanation: 

Well I only started out with two rods and they somehow spawned the rest of them! 
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤣🤣🤣🤣

I’m lucky I have so many kids. I use the old “ well everyone needs one if we go fishing too” 

That excuse then doubles up for a snapper stick, flatty stick, beach rods, marlin rods. God I love having a big family 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hi Baz.  Your wifes a minimalist answer explains how we get away with it.  When I went through that stage I found those big gold reels hardest to sneak into the collection unnoticed.   Ron 

• Like 3

I think I have responded to a similar earlier post Berleyguts - the answer is simple. The number of rods required is X+1, where X is the current number of rods (known to be) in possession.

You can never have enough Rods. Or Lures - just ask Big Neil (no pressure on the fishing report with Dirvin!!)

Tight lines - Hoods

PS And using the better halfs usual reponse to queries regarding clothes - Yes you have had that rod for years (can't believe you haven't noticed it before etc etc etc)

• Like 4

I thought I had enough, but when Bruce (Hookerbruce) opened the door to his collection, I have nothing on his collection, my 15 or so rods nothing compared to his.

AND, the wife wants to know why so many rods, reels, hooks, sinkers, lures!  :blink: 

I could ask why she has so many golf clubs, but that would go down like a lead balloon.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 2

Well-this is a can of worms!!! 2X24kg game ,2X15kg game, 2 heavy downrigging outfits, 1 heavy spin, 3 medium spin, 1 10kg game outfit, 3 baitcasters (heavy,medium,light), 6 light spin outfits and a couple of beach rods and a couple more blackfish rods- all up i think about 20 reels and 24 rods- but then again my wife collects shoes-lots and lots of shoes!!!!!! i am trying to rationalise.

But heres my point-if im trolling for marlin-3 or 4 rods out , downrigging for kings-3 lines out, trolling for flatties 3 or 4 out, trolling minnows around the Coffs islands-4 lines in the water its not unreasonable! 

I also am actually not a fan of other people bringing gear onto my boat-i have systems when i fish and will prerig before i go to suit what i have planned-i hate fishing with someone who is still rigging a rod (to the point of putting a reel on a rod, feeding line into guides, tying on leader /lure etc ) and only starting fishing halfway through the first trolling run or missing the first drift past a FAD .So i can easily justify all of them.

• Like 3

Blimey, firstly to being given to many choirs to be able to go fishing 🤔........ then gripped about having to many rods for the limited amount of time your allowed to go fishing:wife:

I'd be buying as many rods as possible, at least in the divorce settlement you should get half of them depending on how good her lawyer is 🤣

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

How many is enough? - What I have at the moment plus at least another one.

How many do I have? -  I always answer this regular question honestly :  ''I do not know how many I have - as I do not count them''.  

Why so many? - Some are backup, purchased at clearance prices. It's true.

Treat rods(well, and other tackle) like hooks - it is important to know what you have, not how many of them you have, and keep them at home away from others hands and eyes 😃.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Blimey, firstly to being given to many choirs to be able to go fishing 🤔........ then gripped about having to many rods for the limited amount of time your allowed to go fishing:wife:

I'd be buying as many rods as possible, at least in the divorce settlement you should get half of them depending on how good her lawyer is 🤣

Or, she’ll sell them for what I told her I paid for them! 😂😂

8 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Baz- the simple answer to reply is that you actually prefer to collect fishing gear and occasionally like to use it to see how it goes. Some people collect stamps 

Yes, I have some stamps that I collected in my younger days, but nobody much is interested in them anymore. I also have some wine stashed away, to be consumed when I feel like a better quality bottle.

If I did not spend money on these, and also fishing tackle, and gardening products, and accessories for 4WD's, I would be a rich man, but not a happy one, so, enjoy life while you can still get out of bed every morning. :yahoo::28::fish_h4h::fisher:

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

I thought I had enough, but when Bruce (Hookerbruce) opened the door to his collection, I have nothing on his collection, my 15 or so rods nothing compared to his.

AND, the wife wants to know why so many rods, reels, hooks, sinkers, lures!  :blink: 

I could ask why she has so many golf clubs, but that would go down like a lead balloon.

If I were you Yowie, in my household I’d be told that I’m doing perfectly well with hand lines so why would I need any rods? :D 

My problem is the amount of gear stashed permanently in the car boot (for those impromptu trips when we have spare time near water) keeps climbing up gradually until my wife does a purge. Then it starts all over again...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

If I were you Yowie, in my household I’d be told that I’m doing perfectly well with hand lines so why would I need any rods? :D 

Gees, I forgot to mention the handlines.  😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Actually I am being asked similar question - why do I need so many lures if I bring home fish usually caught on bait (at night). So, I answer - lures are for hobby, bait is for bringing food to the table - totally 2 different activities 😃

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Perhaps what she  meant Baz is "you have too many rods comparatively with how often you actually go fishing" 🤣

Yes, I actually tried saying something along those lines in my justification statement. 😂😂 She’ll probably never understand it but she’ll have to live with it. 😂

• Haha 1

SO... ask why she has so many shoes/dresses/jewellery/lipsticks/perfumes when she isnt trying to attract a mate anymore..........   or is she?

PS make sure your health insurance is up to date first....

I had to explain the same a number of years back as well. To them a rod and reel is just a rod and reel. I explained different combinations for different species in different environments (not really one size fits all type of thing). I no longer have backups to lend people like I used too, so that reduced it a little.

4 hours ago, XD351 said:

Probably explains why I’m not married🤣

Not necessarily mate.....just seems that most of the other guys married the wrong person. It should never be about hiding how much gear you have, asking permission if you can go fishing or conversely, your wife having to justify how much makeup or clothes she buys. For goodness sake its called a marriage, not deception.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmck said:

SO... ask why she has so many shoes/dresses/jewellery/lipsticks/perfumes when she isnt trying to attract a mate anymore..........   or is she?

PS make sure your health insurance is up to date first....

She doesn’t. She is very much a minimalist. She looks beautiful without makeup and always has. She gets rid of things she no longer uses but hasn’t got rid of me yet… thankfully!😂 I’m a very lucky man. 😍

I was just making a light hearted post to break the monotony while I’m down in Sydney for a few days visiting my elderly Mum and we’re apart.

Everyone knows I’m just joking around, right?! 😂😎

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

She doesn’t. She is very much a minimalist. She looks beautiful without makeup and always has. She gets rid of things she no longer uses but hasn’t got rid of me yet… thankfully!😂 I’m a very lucky man. 😍

I was just making a light hearted post to break the monotony while I’m down in Sydney for a few days visiting my elderly Mum and we’re apart.

Everyone knows I’m just joking around, right?! 😂😎

You better be :ranting2: (on behalf of MrsBerleyguts)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mullatt said:

Not necessarily mate.....just seems that most of the other guys married the wrong person. It should never be about hiding how much gear you have, asking permission if you can go fishing or conversely, your wife having to justify how much makeup or clothes she buys. For goodness sake its called a marriage, not deception.

Good attitude @Mullatt

• Like 3