Paying GST

Bloggsy

I have purchased some fishing gear from Japan and they do not include the GST which I was aware of but I just want to know how I go about paying the GST when the goods arrive. Do I pay at the Post office before the goods are released? Or do I receive some sort of notice from customs etc?

For expensive items I've bought from overseas (Japan included), I was notified by customs when the package had arrived in Australia and how much and how to pay. Payment was made electronically.

Once the payment had been received, the gear was released and sent to my address. Mind you, this was a while ago when only items over $1,000 attracted GST.

54 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

For expensive items I've bought from overseas (Japan included), I was notified by customs when the package had arrived in Australia and how much and how to pay. Payment was made electronically.

Once the payment had been received, the gear was released and sent to my address. Mind you, this was a while ago when only items over $1,000 attracted GST.

Thank you that seems to make sense with what I have been able to find out I will post a follow up when I receive my items.

• Like 1

Yeah that about sums it up, way back in the "old days" personal packages used to go to a "bond store" which was a kind of Government post office kind of thing, they notified you something was there to be picked up, you turned up, they asked what was in the package, then opened the packing slip, if everything looked OK they handed it to you, if something seemed out of order, they opened it in front of you to check contents.

I have bought heaps of lures and a few reels from OS and never been asked for GST.  Expensive items may be different but I have heard the gov is planning to add GST at point of purchase such as eBay.  Ron

20 hours ago, Bloggsy said:

I have purchased some fishing gear from Japan and they do not include the GST which I was aware of but I just want to know how I go about paying the GST when the goods arrive. Do I pay at the Post office before the goods are released? Or do I receive some sort of notice from customs etc?

https://www.abf.gov.au/buying-online/buying-online

Package turned up today 7 days from Japan and here I am I have been waiting 15 days for something to be delivered from Sydney (go figure)

I purchased 2 Shimano electric reels from Asian Portal Fishing and saved $1,000.00 compared to buying them in Australia. I do try to support local suppliers when possible but this was too good to pass up.

As far as my original question about customs and GST the parcel arrived at my door free postage with no request for further payment.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bloggsy said:

I purchased 2 Shimano electric reels from Asian Portal Fishing and saved $1,000.00 compared to buying them in Australia. I do try to support local suppliers when possible but this was too good to pass up.

Nothing wrong with supporting local australian household - money saved is money earned.  Just out of interest - do their products come with warranty e.g  from Japanese Shimano or the shop one?  

15 minutes ago, savit said:

Nothing wrong with supporting local australian household - money saved is money earned.  Just out of interest - do their products come with warranty e.g  from Japanese Shimano or the shop one?  

There is warranty but it would have to be back to Japan so that is a risk that you take and I don't know what the Australian suppliers would do. Because the ones I bought are JDM I take the risk, I now have 6 JDM electric reels and I guess that I am fortunate to be able to service my own reels the oldest reel is 6 years and other than replace bearings or "o" rings I have never had any other issues. But I service all of my reels every 12 months.