Remove old rod varnish

Ryder

Hi Raiders

I’m doing up my old Butterworth ‘Rockhopper’, the old varnish is chipped and a little flaky. What is the best way to remove it without damaging the blank. Do I need to remove it all before I recoat it.

Cheers

I’ve rebuilt/repaired a hell of a lot of rods and I’ve found the best way to remove the old varnish is to gently rub the blank with a blunt knife, like an old butter knife, holding it at 90 degrees to the blank. This scrapes the varnish away without effecting the harder fibreglass, even on the profile of an unsanded blank.

Once the varnish is removed, you can either give the rod an epoxy wash, which is a thinned binding epoxy applied with a lint free cloth over the entire blank, or a good rub with a cut polish.

Personally, I prefer the polish. Its a bit more work, but gives a better result IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also have scraped off in the past as well as a light sand.  I haven't found it necessary to remove all varnish if its sound, just the flakey bits but you have to feather any edges if you want a good finish.  Ron

Thanks guys, next question 
If I do the epoxy do I need to hang it or can I just leave it in the rod dryer and maybe come back and touch up the points where the rod touches the supports

1 hour ago, Ryder said:

Thanks guys, next question 
If I do the epoxy do I need to hang it or can I just leave it in the rod dryer and maybe come back and touch up the points where the rod touches the supports

Being thinned, I find it dries pretty quick and doesn't really want to run, so I wait for a calm, sunny day and stand the blank vertically outside. I've never had an issue with bugs landing on it and getting stuck to date.

Whether sitting in a piece of PVC tube or over a dowel, depends on if the butt section is still in place or not.

If a total rebuild is on the cards, I prefer not to epoxy the area where the grips and reel seat will go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, the epoxy wash is done. Smooth in some areas then a little grainy in others. Would a light sand and redo help?

Im not going for a full rebuild just a bit of a renovation. I’m keeping the original cork grips, reel seat and I will probably reuse the original Fuji B&W guides adding underbind.

13 hours ago, Ryder said:

Thanks, the epoxy wash is done. Smooth in some areas then a little grainy in others. Would a light sand and redo help?

I don't see how it could hurt, so give it a go I reckon.

The only problem I could see is with the epoxy being designed to remain flexible, it may clog the sandpaper, but no biggie, just use more paper.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...