Flathead frenzy in the Hawkesbury.

Pickles

Had a late start with buddy Peter (6.30am departure), due to expected fog and low tide at the ramp, - still muddy from the floods. A good call as I had to navigate at low speed using the chart plotter as fog made vision very poor. Once the fog lifted and we thawed out the Flatties came out to play, but so did the soapie jewfish. 
Bait was Hawkesbury prawns which resulted in 17 dusky flathead over 40cm and all under 65, so a solid day on the water. We stopped fishing below our bag limit and headed home by midday. First time at Spencer I’ve had a visit from the local fisheries officers (polite, personal and professional) who checked the esky and Peters fishing licence (being Koori, I don’t need one - one advantage of being Aboriginal).

I was fishing a paternoster rig and had few double hookups, which is always good fun, thinking it is a really decent fish.

A bonus today was no pike eels, no bull sharks and no rays. Peter dropped a big Jewie due to overtight drag on 12 lb line😞😞.

Another trip planned tomorrow in the Harbour, then the boat goes away as big swells again over next few days and weekend.

2F2F373D-64D9-46E4-A015-88DE9416ACDA.jpeg

AE2A105C-F38E-4D91-B50A-8C533AA9751F.jpeg

5C99454D-FA28-48C7-BEF1-1BD8AFF50165.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Spelling
  • Like 13

Spencer - look for shallow water (5-15m) on the sandbanks on bends in river. I keep trying the sandy drop offs and if no fish in 10-15 minutes move. (Keep doing the same thing the same way and you’ll get the same result)

• Like 4

Great result Bob. Sounds like an ideal trip out for me, having never caught a Jewfish... plus some fresh Flatties to bring home would be great. That would solve the lack of fish in the freezer problem which I've had for quite some time too. Did you only use bait or chuck some lures around for the Flathead? Interested? Neil.

Looks like another great days fishing with a great feed a Flatties to take home. With your catch rate you must be feeding most of the people in your street 😂
Wish I had been out to wet a line but with 2 cataract operations and having a small cancer cut out of the back of my hand I have not been out for 3 or 4 weeks and probably have another 2 or 3 before I can. Good to see you are still keeping the fish frightened in my absence. 🙂 

49 minutes ago, GordoRetired said:

Wish I had been out to wet a line but with 2 cataract operations and having a small cancer cut out of the back of my hand I have not been out for 3 or 4 weeks and probably have another 2 or 3 before I can.

Sorry to hear buddy ... hope you are well on the mend ! Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Sorry to hear buddy ... hope you are well on the mend ! Cheers Zoran

Thanks Zoran, getting better by the day. The best bit is that I can now see so much better than before. Cataract surgery is borderline a miracle, go from hardly able to see with my left eye to 20/20 vision overnight. It's brilliant. 🙂  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Looks like another great days fishing with a great feed a Flatties to take home. With your catch rate you must be feeding most of the people in your street 😂
Wish I had been out to wet a line but with 2 cataract operations and having a small cancer cut out of the back of my hand I have not been out for 3 or 4 weeks and probably have another 2 or 3 before I can. Good to see you are still keeping the fish frightened in my absence. 🙂 

Wishing you a full and timely recovery Gordo. Life is too short to miss out on fishing for too long. bn

• Like 1

A great haul Pickles and at a time of year when many think the estuary flathead have gone into a winter slumber. Did you happen to notice the water temp?

Did you try sp's or just bait - hard to justify a change when you're getting results with a technique.

Cheers

Fil