Snowy mountains late season trout

Pat95

Hi Raiders, first time posting. Just wondering if anyone has had success in the snowy mountains the last couple of weeks? Specifically the rivers and streams. Was planning on hitting the upper tooma river before season close.

Thanks

Welcome to Fishraider and boy you are  keen.

I have once camped in the upper Tooma mid April, never again. The fishing was poor then and the coldest I have ever been.

I did fish it this March and there was an absence of rainbows. A few big browns but these were scattered and not consistent. Really strange as it was always full of rainbows.

I was  interested to have a look at the gravel beds below the gauging station  in spawning time but never got enough momentum.

Please keep in touch if you go.

Geoff

• 9 months later...

Sorry for the late reply. We were on our way early June to the upper Tooma but the clutch in my car gave way. Instead had an eventful night in Tumbarumba. Anyways we are planning a similar trip around Anzac Day. Was wondering if anyone had any other suggestion than the upper Tooma? We are looking for a wilderness experience, involving long hikes and  camping overnight.

Thanks

12 hours ago, Pat95 said:

Sorry for the late reply. We were on our way early June to the upper Tooma but the clutch in my car gave way. Instead had an eventful night in Tumbarumba. Anyways we are planning a similar trip around Anzac Day. Was wondering if anyone had any other suggestion than the upper Tooma? We are looking for a wilderness experience, involving long hikes and  camping overnight.

Thanks

Did a trip back in December, hiked the Eucumbene river and a couple of creeks

There's literally miles of rivers and streams you can walk and potentially pack camp 

I'd have some serious planning and gear at this time of year during December we experienced 4 seasons in the hour including low temps, I could only imagine what late April may bring

Thanks for info dirvin21.Upper Eucumbene looks like something to consider. The scenery looks stunning, a few nice fish as well. We have done similar trips in the central tablelands in mid winter so hopefully can handle the snowies late April. 

Have a look at Kiandra (nothing left now after the fires) but you can get into the upper Murrumbidgee with great fly fishing. Kiandra is home to the first snow skiing in Australia and right on the highway. Tip: Stop at the Bakery in Adaminaby for world class Cherry Pies & a proper coffee. Otherwise consider Eucumbene Gorge and camp nearby. Looking forward to the report. Hoods