Sistema Brilliance Lunchboxes

Little_Flatty

Just noticed these in Woolies the other day. Claim to be 100% leak proof (big claim) so I bought a couple to try.

If I get to work today without SOUP leaking through the bottom of my bag, I might just trust them with my GULPs, baits and other smelly things we fish with...

I'll update you all on progress :)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Just noticed these in Woolies the other day. Claim to be 100% leak proof (big claim) so I bought a couple to try.

If I get to work today without SOUP leaking through the bottom of my bag, I might just trust them with my GULPs, baits and other smelly things we fish with...

Hmmmmm swordie used to steal my plastic Sistema boxes for fishing use. 

Soup to take to work use a thermos style one. 

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/thermos-vacuum-insulated-food-jar-470ml-red-thsk3000r?scrollTop=false

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

if they are the clear rectangle box with the thick grey silicon seal, they don't work. I tried with some sucess at the start then found it leaked into the bag. 

These are the 2 I have tried:

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/107057/sistema-klip-it-plus-lunch-container-1-15l

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/680682/sistema-brilliance-medium-rectangle

the first one was crap, don't even bother, the second worked for a little while but eventually leaked. You can shake it around and it won't leak but even when its the right side up it leaks 

Edited by slothparade

My systema lunch box also leaks as the clips don’t pull the lid down onto the seal very well but Dave’s idea with the rubber bands might fix that ! , I would be cautious as to the compatibility of the plastic of the container and the soft plastics themselves - might be worth chucking a couple in and letting them sit for a week or so first. Anyone know if different colour gulp plastics play nice with each other ? I usually leave them in the packet they came in but it would be super handy to be able to lob a few different types of gulp plastics in a small sealed plastic container with some juice and take this down to where I want to fish ( usually the beach or estuary  ) , on the beach I use a shoulder bag and like to pack light but having half a dozen zip lock bags in there makes finding the right packet when I need it a pain and having one smallish tub with all I want in it would be much better. I could easily use this system in the estuary as well and might be more convenient than the small backpack i am currently using as I have to remove it to get to the contents .

All this talk about soup has now made me hungry - I could chew the leg off a cast iron bath tub right now !

That reminds me I need to sacrifice a gulp and a Zman to see if they destroy each other - i sense a scientific experiment coming up 🔬

Edited by XD351
Spelling - as usual
  • Like 1

Do not mix ZMan with other lures. Disaster. ZMan has a different makeup to other lures.  I wouldn't mix any lures, just in case.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel

32 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Do not mix ZMan with other lures. Disaster. ZMan has a different makeup to other lures.  I wouldn't mix any lures, just in case.

Cheers.

Sounds like you have been there before 😂

The link that Donna posted is for such a soup container and I will be grabbing one tomorrow - if my local officeworks has one - never even knew they sold them !

Edited by XD351

3 hours ago, slothparade said:

if they are the clear rectangle box with the thick grey silicon seal, they don't work. I tried with some sucess at the start then found it leaked into the bag. 

These are the 2 I have tried:

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/107057/sistema-klip-it-plus-lunch-container-1-15l

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/680682/sistema-brilliance-medium-rectangle

the first one was crap, don't even bother, the second worked for a little while but eventually leaked. You can shake it around and it won't leak but even when its the right side up it leaks 

That’s the one, you could have got your money back if they didn’t work. As for me, my soup made it safely to the work fridge. I also have salads with dressing etc so it’s not a waste of money.

But...wait a sec?! Leaking when right side up?

43 minutes ago, XD351 said:

All this talk about soup has now made me hungry - I could chew the leg off a cast iron bath tub right now !

That’s why I’m reading this over my lunch :)

33 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Cheers.

I am well aware of this problem. I’d probably just keep to storing gulps in whatever container I end up with.

I use these, they come in a few sizes.

Haven't leaked yet.

In fact sometimes they seal like a vacuum & I have to pry it open from one corner with a knife.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tactix-large-water-resistant-case_p5820705?store=7313&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2NyFBhDoARIsAMtHtZ6wBd2eJWpBxms3yoqyYhd1PrCSvpdpTptxu7cdjmoBE44mv79AvsEaAoYLEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XD351 said:

Sounds like you have been there before 😂

The link that Donna posted is for such a soup container and I will be grabbing one tomorrow - if my local officeworks has one - never even knew they sold them !

Check out the Thermos range we have several of them for use in the caravan. 

https://www.thermos.com/ 

7 hours ago, Rebel said:

Cheers.

Stick the ZMan in a small thermos. 😂 Won't leak out.

The soup thermos I have is an Arco Steel Tradesman. Just heat the thermos with hot water for five minutes,then add the soup. Keeps it hot for at least four hours, also comes with a screw on metal cap.

Cheers.

• 7 months later...

So an update on this thread. The lunchboxes are still not leaking after quite a lot of use.

HOWEVER this does not mean that gulp juice does not get into my bag! The way this happens is:

1. Box gets inverted/turned on its side in transit, in the car, on the train or otherwise.

2. Juice gets onto the seal.

3. When I get a bait out, the juice trickles into the top of the seal.

4. On closing the lid, the juice is outside of the seal.

Then when I next put the bag in the car, gulp juice gets out.

I've also noticed that gulp juice gets out when you pull out a bait to use. It can sneakily cover your hands if you aren't careful (wash down your rods and reels after use!). So this solution (and any other watertight box) isn't bulletproof.

I find washing/drying the box and lid after every trip helps considerably. I think I'm going to do away with the gulp juice in my sistema container - leave it in the original jar and take only the gulps I need for a trip (sans juice) in the box. Then when I come back, return unused gulps to the original jar.

Sometimes I wonder if the effort is worth it. That's when I just leave a normal plastic rigged on and catch a few fish with that :D . Until I have a few donuts and return to gulps until my bruised ego recovers 🤣

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My 30yr old lunch box and soup flask.It's seen everything from construction sites,to factories,to holidays,to boat use.I have a coffee flask that matches that's 30yrs old too.

They are crap now mate in guess where.Mines all US made.

Let's see any systema last that long.😂🤣😂

Hope it works for ya mate.

20220208_184621.jpg

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Fab1 said:

My 30yr old lunch box and soup flask.It's seen everything from construction sites,to factories,to holidays,to boat use.I have a coffee flask that matches that's 30yrs old too.

They are crap now mate in guess where.Mines all US made.

Let's see any systema last that long.😂🤣😂

Hope it works for ya mate.

20220208_184621.jpg

🤣 I'm not sure I would put my gulps in your flask though! Unless you're suggesting that's what you do!

I'd be happy if the box lasts a year. When it packs it, I'll buy a new one. It's been eight months however.

By the way, dispensing with the gulp juice has done the trick. I wouldn't recommend it for long term storage, but I've had a few in a box for over a week without the juice and they are still good. Careful handling is also important; if you get juice all over your hands when getting a lure out, it doesn't matter how good the seal is on the box, it's going to end up all over everything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

🤣 I'm not sure I would put my gulps in your flask though! Unless you're suggesting that's what you do!

I'd be happy if the box lasts a year. When it packs it, I'll buy a new one. It's been eight months however.

By the way, dispensing with the gulp juice has done the trick. I wouldn't recommend it for long term storage, but I've had a few in a box for over a week without the juice and they are still good. Careful handling is also important; if you get juice all over your hands when getting a lure out, it doesn't matter how good the seal is on the box, it's going to end up all over everything.

If the gulps get dehydrated you can rehydrate  them easily enough.

I did to some shriveled mummified ones I had.

• Like 1

You can get plastic containers made for vacuum sealing , I wonder if the seal on these may be better ? I plan to use a large peanut butter jar to store plastics in if I’m using gulps- I’m sure mixing a few different colour gulps together in the juice for a few hours won’t hurt them  and  for Z man I use S factor so there is nothing in the packet to leak out so I can use the original packaging.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, XD351 said:

You can get plastic containers made for vacuum sealing , I wonder if the seal on these may be better ? I plan to use a large peanut butter jar to store plastics in if I’m using gulps- I’m sure mixing a few different colour gulps together in the juice for a few hours won’t hurt them  and  for Z man I use S factor so there is nothing in the packet to leak out so I can use the original packaging.

I mix colours and have actually bought mixed colour jars from the tackle shop. I also store them mixed. Doesn't hurt them in any way whatsoever.

• Like 1