Recommended rod for offshore kingfish

Volitan

Hi.what is the recommended rod weight for boat fishing for kingfish. Cold be using live or dead baits. Realistically, the likely target would be 900-1m fish at 60 metres deep.

Cheers

• Like 1

Of course it comes down to budget but I like the gIass rods for the heavier fishing & I have a few of Ugly Stik Bluewater's that are mostly dedicated King rods & for the coin they are great value & when you can get them on sale even better.

I recon this one would be the go-

USBW-SP 701H 15-24kg 25-120g

I also think if you like to fish a bit lighter that this one would also do the job & they way they are built I recon even if you got only something bigger it would still handle it no probs!

USBWGB-SP 691MH 8-15kg 20-100g

For a jigging rod Id recommend a Daiwa Monster mesh, they will stop pretty much anything :thumbup:

Edited by kingie chaser

I reckon the best action and “feel” is a Daiwa demon blood 64CJ. My favourite rod for live baiting or jigging for kings . However if you want a rod that will stop “anything” the Monster Mesh is outstanding for the money

Thanks for the replies guys but the question was about rod weight or rating, not brand or model - I have all the rods I need and am not looking to buy another one. 

Perhaps I should rephrase it by asking should I take a 15 or a 24kg? 

I’ve been out on a few charter trips for this type of fishing but foolishly never bothered to look at the weight of the rod I was handed. I can’t even remember what they felt like.

im probably going to pair it with a Shimano TLD 20 with 65lb braid. 

My 15kg rods are labelled something like 10-15 or 8-15 kg. Will they be adequate. The 24kg will have more stopping power but it weighty and I don’t want to feel like I’m fishing with a lamppost all day if I don’t have to.

Edited by Volitan