How many rods on your boat

Pickles

I always take a spare bait rod as I have lost a few over the years when Cod have dragged them overboard. Freshwater regulations only allow for 2 rigged rods per person, so any extra I have unrigged till needed. bn

I guess it depends on the trip, and how many people, for summer trolling, 6 game rods, maybe 2 spin rods for spinning and bait catching, Snapper fishing, usually 2 per person, Bream fishing, 1 per person.

• Like 1

Typical trip to shelf 15 rods

2 deep drop rods

5 trolling rods

4 spinning rods - reef jig, flatties drift

2 sabiki live bait rods

+ whatever my guest crew brings. 

BARRYCUDA becomes a porcupine. 

cheers Zoran 

045349D4-C6B6-4870-AFA3-3E1CA9A8069E.jpeg

F4D29644-13C9-404D-BD60-054F4C0EFB24.jpeg

72E433F4-D09B-40AB-91DB-B4FF671761C7.jpeg

• Like 6

Sometimes as little as 5 if leaving after dark for jew including 1 squid  and 1 bait rod, but otherwise I try to restrict myself to 9.  If fishing a comp and covering a number of line classes this has blown out to 11.  I know I should seek help.  Ron 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Dave, look left under the gunwales (4 there) 2 squid rods on the right and several telescopic (spare rods) and a 9# fly rod.

Plus one between your teeth and one in each hand !  😂

you can never have enough. 

hehehe. 

cheers Z

• Like 1

Although I have many outfits, I try and keep the rods on the boat down to a minimum, if just fishing the bay in the tinnie I might just have 4 rods, 2 for me and 2 for a mate. If fishing off shore than I might have 3 rods per person on board. If I go away for a couple of days fishing Bass etc I may have 4 rods in the locker and 2 assembled ready to fish.

I like a nice clear boat deck with as little objects as possible.

Don't troll for game fish these days so rods are kept to a minimum.

Frank

• Like 1

2 minimum - 4 maximum 

The rods will be generally a combination of the following:

One or two 5-8kg thread line outfits for bait fishing in broken bay .

one  2-4 kg threadline ( soft tip )outfit for light bait fishing and doubles as lure chucker in a pinch.

one 1.5-3kg or 2-4 kg spin outfit ( Hyper with 2500 reel ) if I’m definitely going to flick some lures around .

I can add a Snyder mag bream and 5 inch Alvey to this if I’m fishing for bream or Whiting with nippers and it can be used for luderick if needed but if I’m out targeting them I will take my centrepin outfit I use for luderick .

There is always a small handline in my bag for catching bait !

I minimised the gear I take out  so everything I need is within  arms reach and ready to use so once I’m in the boat the only thing I need to leave my seat for is to drop the lekkie or  Anchor ( very rarely use one ) .

Dave, 

That Bass boat more than likely had a rod locker in the front deck so there could be another 10k worth of gear in there :1yikes:

I can fit 8 in the rod holders mounted on my side console. (The rod holders are those alloy ones most guys put on their bull bars for beach fishing). Because I can fit 8, I usually fill it, plus 1 or 2 more rods and a couple of hand lines in the port side rod locker.

I can carry less out of gamefishing season and I will usually leave the 15 and sometimes the 10kg outfit out and just carry the 6kg outfit, just in case. Then I’ll carry 2 spin sticks for snapper plastics fishing; 2 for bottom bashing; a bait jig rod (just bought a new Sabiki rod); and a light or ultra light spin stick for flicking small metals at bonito and salmon, or if I duck back inside to spin for flathead or bream. I like having duplicates to save time re-rigging if I bust off or get a bad tangle when fishing solo (which is most of the time). 🤷‍♂️ If I’ve got the wife and/or son on board, the rods are shared

Edited by Berleyguts

Usually 6 max for 2 people. I rinse, wipe down, inox spray then wipe all reels/rods - makes clean up a lot easier and less stuff in the way. And that's cause I carry pairs - so for me I'm actually bringing and using only 3x rods. I like that it makes me think about how I will fish and what I will use each for. I also have a couple of handlines permanently living on the boat. Don't ask how many rods I have off-boat!

• 1 month later...