Marine radio for new boat: handheld or fixed mount?

Remote River Man

I've got a new 4.5 Polycraft fishing boat on order, and am currently sorting out which accessories to add. I'll want a decent marine radio (doubt I'll ever be going more than 15 kms offshore) and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the pros and cons of a handheld versus a fixed mount radio. Having a waterproof handheld means you can go overboard with it in an emergency (while the fixed version stays with the boat and likely won't be useable in a capsize). On the other hand, I understand the range of the fixed radios is considerably superior to handheld ones. Any advice for a newbie boat owner welcome!

Fixed mount, for sure. Better range. A hand held battery might run flat. I have my radio on all the time so I can listen for announcements by Marine Rescue, general chatter etc. With a hand held, I’d be tempted to turn it off to conserve battery. Carry one as a backup if you like. And don’t forget your EPIRB!

Edited by Berleyguts

Not just the best, but, mounted as high as possible, hand held units are limited by law in the output, as are fixed units, but the fixed units are 5 times the maximum output.

• Like 2

My vote would be mounted vhf.  I have both vhf and 27meg mounted in my quinnie.   Vhf much better but some comps I have fished in the past had the locals using 27meg and I have kept both just in case.   Just a note that by law you need to be licenced for vhf.  Ron 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Not sure I would bother with a fitted radio these days in a small boat used just inshore. I do have fixed in each boat we own as well as owning a couple of handheld radios. 

Marine rescue have a free app that you can use to log (permanently) saved details about your boat and trailer etc. With the app you can log on in a few seconds from anywhere in NSW you have phone coverage and give all the same details you would on a radio (without legally doing a vhf course). You can opt to allow marine rescue to track your phone, which is handy is you boat electrical system or radio fails etc, as they do. I go through at least one marine radio per year simply because of water ingress and pounding through waves. In an open boat marine aerials can get in the way at times if doing a lot of casting.

A phone will just about pick up from the sea mounts 50k offshore in my area but my vhf fixed won't cover half that distance, my handheld works fine at Montague to the marine base 12kh away. Very few people share fishing info over the vhf as they call each other privately via phone. Marine forecasts are updated on the Marine rescue app and will be for what ever location you are in. 

Yes a phone can go flat, hence why I carry a spare phone battery pack. If you have a second person in the boat, chances are they will have a phone.

Not trying to put anyone off, more a case of how things have changed over recent years in my opinion to the use of marine radios. Also there are often some total tools often talking on vhf to the point I leave mine off so I don't have to subject my kids to their bad language and constant garbage.

• Like 1