Jump to content

Port Stephens- Monday special (and something weird)


Recommended Posts

G’day raiders, 

Managed a leave pass today and headed out with @back cruncherand my tackle sponsor Al. 
Left early and plan was to head north and see what we could find. Conditions were very mild so it was a nice easy trip! 
On the way in the dark we were half way between the heads and Broughton when my mate Al says look at these weird lights! They looked liked stars all in a line but when we stopped the boat they were moving in a northern direction and perfectly spaced apart. Confused the shit out of me and the other lads. 
 

8F0E77F9-80C7-43A2-95ED-A9CDD7A23ED1.thumb.jpeg.18c52456d43b07664001f07f9b940d09.jpeg

 

Anyway, they disappeared so we moved on. 
 

Got to our spot at first light and did a quick test drift before we moved into position. 
It didn’t take long and I was on to a nice pannie, then another! Then when I was winding in fast a bonito took a liking to my lure and on it came aboard. Another cast saw the line screaming and here comes the next level snaps just short of 70 but very healthy. The lads changed plastics to my colour of pearl white as we reset the drift. Unfortunately there were no more takers and things went very quiet. We moved on and tried a few other locations but the bait wasn’t present and neither the fish. Went to a new location that none of us had been before and as we were ending the drift, I came up tight to a good fish that played hard. After a good 5 minutes or so a nice sized king in the 70’s is onboard! Yewwww 

We reset again and this time I’m on to a screamer. A much bigger king than last time. I played with it for a while until I felt the weight under the boat and it was well over a meter. As soon as it saw the boat it headed for the near by rocks and my chances of landing it on a snapper stick went with it on that 50m run! Pop!!! 🥲

We tried a few other spots but was flogging a dead horse so headed for home in benign conditions. 
Great day out on the water with Mick and Al. Sorry all the fish were on my side of the boat! I just got lucky 🤙

cheers scratchie!!! 
 

AB138D37-F745-40BE-96C4-5814C44D5ABF.thumb.jpeg.fdc2283aa69ea923f1ea537cca75244c.jpeg
 

2D819565-5438-459E-A097-ACFEC82A6B23.thumb.jpeg.facef078e7055ada713b4169ad8414c4.jpeg

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites

Those lights definately would have freaked me out ! So your the only one on board who boated a fish! Thats why your the whisperer !

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The light's were @Yowie's Whales running away from him.

Great report as usual, Super photos.

Edited by Rebel
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Truly great stuff scratchie. ...  do you ever have a bad day?

Cheers Zoran

.. and yes the lights are Tesla's satellite network ...  it's been in the press and on other fora for a while... apparently he plans to put up some 40,000 in his grand design.  (....light pollution??) 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Wow Starlink sats!

I have been following this for a while. It will put all the ISP’s out of business.

People here in Australia in rural and remote areas will really benefit. Some have it in Sydney but it is very expensive at the moment. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Those lights definately would have freaked me out ! So your the only one on board who boated a fish! Thats why your the whisperer !

The lights were bizarre! It looked liked stars all lined up! 
For the record, Mick did boat a pannie. I just seemed to get a few runs! 

13 hours ago, Rebel said:

The light's were @Yowie's Whales running away from him.

Great report as usual, Super phots.

Haha! Thanks 🙏 

13 hours ago, BigHorse said:

Sounds like a great trip! Those lights sure look spooky. I probably would of speed right off!

Cheers mate! Beautiful day on the water 

12 hours ago, Maccam said:

Nice report well done! 

Thanks 

12 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Truly great stuff scratchie. ...  do you ever have a bad day?

Cheers Zoran

.. and yes the lights are Tesla's satellite network ...  it's been in the press and on other fora for a while... apparently he plans to put up some 40,000 in his grand design.  (....light pollution??) 

Thanks Zoran! Yes that was a pretty ordinary day. Our expectations were a bit higher than that. For the amount of casts between us, it was very slow. 
As for the lights, it’s quite an interesting read. I hope they don’t launch 40,000 of them. Could be catastrophic 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
But the sights you see on the water sometimes are truly amazing! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Wow Starlink sats!

I have been following this for a while. It will put all the ISP’s out of business.

People here in Australia in rural and remote areas will really benefit. Some have it in Sydney but it is very expensive at the moment. 

 

As I said, a very bizarre sight! Just glad we found out what it was. Couldn’t imagine the thoughts of someone in a war torn country! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...great day out Jeff.

there were some conspiracy theories between the 3 of us.lol.

Always a great day out Mick! 
Yes we were confused that’s for sure 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow the chat about the lights added another dimension to your already awesome tale....entertaining as always:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2021 at 5:14 PM, Scratchie said:

Well there you go.   It doesnt sound like a good idea to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2021 at 5:11 PM, Scratchie said:

G’day raiders, 

Managed a leave pass today and headed out with @back cruncherand my tackle sponsor Al. 
Left early and plan was to head north and see what we could find. Conditions were very mild so it was a nice easy trip! 
On the way in the dark we were half way between the heads and Broughton when my mate Al says look at these weird lights! They looked liked stars all in a line but when we stopped the boat they were moving in a northern direction and perfectly spaced apart. Confused the shit out of me and the other lads. 
 

8F0E77F9-80C7-43A2-95ED-A9CDD7A23ED1.thumb.jpeg.18c52456d43b07664001f07f9b940d09.jpeg

 

Anyway, they disappeared so we moved on. 
 

Got to our spot at first light and did a quick test drift before we moved into position. 
It didn’t take long and I was on to a nice pannie, then another! Then when I was winding in fast a bonito took a liking to my lure and on it came aboard. Another cast saw the line screaming and here comes the next level snaps just short of 70 but very healthy. The lads changed plastics to my colour of pearl white as we reset the drift. Unfortunately there were no more takers and things went very quiet. We moved on and tried a few other locations but the bait wasn’t present and neither the fish. Went to a new location that none of us had been before and as we were ending the drift, I came up tight to a good fish that played hard. After a good 5 minutes or so a nice sized king in the 70’s is onboard! Yewwww 

We reset again and this time I’m on to a screamer. A much bigger king than last time. I played with it for a while until I felt the weight under the boat and it was well over a meter. As soon as it saw the boat it headed for the near by rocks and my chances of landing it on a snapper stick went with it on that 50m run! Pop!!! 🥲

We tried a few other spots but was flogging a dead horse so headed for home in benign conditions. 
Great day out on the water with Mick and Al. Sorry all the fish were on my side of the boat! I just got lucky 🤙

cheers scratchie!!! 
 

AB138D37-F745-40BE-96C4-5814C44D5ABF.thumb.jpeg.fdc2283aa69ea923f1ea537cca75244c.jpeg
 

2D819565-5438-459E-A097-ACFEC82A6B23.thumb.jpeg.facef078e7055ada713b4169ad8414c4.jpeg

How good is it trying a new spot that produces first drift?  Hopefully the others come up tight next time or you might need to find a new sponsor 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      67,947
    • Total Posts
      552,704
×
×
  • Create New...