Fire Extinguisher crackdown by Maritime Services NSW

the skipper

38 bream.msgHi all,

Please be aware of a crackdown being carried out by Martime on fire extinguishers in boats.

As many of you may or not know every boat that has a fuel source and  an electrical system must have on board the appropriate type and size fire extinguisher regardless of its size. The extinguisher must be in date as they have a 5 year life before retesting or replacement is required.

I have this info first hand as I was on St Georges basin on Sunday morning having one of those rare days where I was boating a fish every drift and after landing 3 lizards to 45cm plus top it off with this thumper 38cm bream I pulled out of shallows when I turn around to see maritime heading my way.

Knowing I had all the gear he did a safety check but I came up short with the fire extinguisher being 3 months out of date I received a caution from the nice ( my arse ) maritime person otherwise it was a $200 fine but the cruncher was that he would not let me keep fishing until I replaced the extinguisher so I headed home.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A Maritime boat stopped near me on the Hacking recently and a very nice female officer said hello.   Asked if she wanted to check out my gear and she said no your ok, your one of the good guys.  I have been checked a few times in the past and it seems like they record the results in their computer systems.   Ron 

9 minutes ago, campr said:

A Maritime boat stopped near me on the Hacking recently and a very nice female officer said hello.   Asked if she wanted to check out my gear and she said no your ok, your one of the good guys.  I have been checked a few times in the past and it seems like they record the results in their computer systems.   Ron 

So why did she stop you ???

image.png.7ffaf141afdab494147a98f327807d0b.png

cheers Zoran 

• Haha 1

The definition of the requirement for when a fire extinguisher needs to be carried is-

Fire extinguisher
For boats with electric start, electric engines, battery, gas installation or fuel stoves.

https://roads-waterways.transport.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/lifejackets-equipment/checklist.html

So I wonder what they define as a "battery" ??

Is a 6V battery from a Dolphin torch enough to need an extinguisher??

Every boat is required to carry a torch so does that mean every boat needs an extinguisher 🤔

My tinny has have a small 12v 7ah battery to run my portable GPS/sounder & I dont carry an extinguisher so I guess technically they could ping me on that? 

Edited by kingie chaser

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

The definition of the requirement for when a fire extinguisher needs to be carried is-

Fire extinguisher
For boats with electric start, electric engines, battery, gas installation or fuel stoves.

https://roads-waterways.transport.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/lifejackets-equipment/checklist.html

Every boat is required to carry a torch so does that mean every boat needs an extinguisher 🤔

Candles :1Lighten: ?  No battery required. 12.57 lumen each . They are waterproof, floating and working. :074:

5 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Fire extinguisher

My tinny has have a small 12v 7ah battery to run my portable GPS/sounder & I dont carry an extinguisher so I guess technically they could ping me on that? 

you need to get one or you will get done as advised by the nice person from Maritime.

Better to have it and ever use it ( hopefully) 😀

For the sake of $20 or so every 5 yrs is it really something you would skimp on ? 
I repurpose my out of date ones for around home, in the 4wd or my shed .