Changing Line- how often

pegz

For standard old mono, I change mine when it gets "dull" if it's still nice and shiny, I leave it. Game line is a bit different, that tends to get changed at the start of each season, or maybe two seasons.

I use Momo. Change it yearly. If rock fishing check it all the time. Buy quality Mono line. Keep it in a container in a dark place.

Never had problems with good quality Mono Line. Use flurocarbon leader again top quality.

I have bags for my rods and reels. Keep them covered up when not in use.

Cheers.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 5:26 PM, pegz said:

Hi alll 

How often do people change there fishing line, 6 monthly ,12 monthly etc or what other reason

hey mate i change my line once every year religiously even if it looks like it does not need changing. obviously i change it if it has any frays in the line due to  snags, sea weed ,rocks  ect.  remember a small abrasion / fray in your line can cost a big fish or a good feed    

This thread reminds me to have a look at some of my reels, What I tend to do is start off with an empty spool and wind the line from one reel onto another reel, this recycles the line with the used stuff to the bottom of the spool and the fresh stuff at the top, repeat this for other reels, some of my reels have had the same line on for 15+  years and still very usable . Some however need to be changed.

Frank

• Like 3

1 hour ago, frankS said:

This thread reminds me to have a look at some of my reels, What I tend to do is start off with an empty spool and wind the line from one reel onto another reel, this recycles the line with the used stuff to the bottom of the spool and the fresh stuff at the top, repeat this for other reels, some of my reels have had the same line on for 15+  years and still very usable .

Great point & pretty much what I so as well Frank.

The only thing is if you are using backing you will need to replace it on the 1st spool but you could reuse it on the next.

But the backing us usually cheap mono anyway so no big deal either way.

5 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Becomes very expensive then you have 10+ reels :whistling:

very true mate especially when using good quality line i have about 4 rods i use and i rarely use many of my other rods so i ensure to buy line when it is on sale / cheap . I have  found the jarvis walker mono line   from big w is good for when on a budget. i am a very serious fisher men and I don't have any complaints about the Jarvis walker mono line its $5 for 300 meters and i have never had a problem with it   and it has never let me down. 

Great link Kingie chaser - thanks. Hey Donna, how about archiving this one.

I agree with you and Frank re taking top line off one reel to re-spool and use the unused line on top. I usually replace the braid on most used reels about every 2 years. Some reels get used twice a week. Others with mono (blackfish and flathead bait, not SP outfits) get used less frequently and replaced every 5 or so years.

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Hey Donna, how about archiving this one.

I  don't mean to be rude , but I am struggling to comprehend where are those line life numbers are coming from?

IMO they should stick to their 'Fishing date' and 'Five real ways to make money while fishing' articles as it is more entertaining.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, savit said:

I  don't mean to be rude , but I am struggling to comprehend where are those line life numbers are coming from?

IMO they should stick to their 'Fishing date' and 'Five real ways to make money while fishing' articles as it is more entertaining.

I am confused about this @savit I hope it isn't that you find the content "not entertaining"? Plenty to read on fishraider and everyone has different interests.

@Pickles I have moved this one to Tackle Talk 

2 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

I am confused about this @savit I hope it isn't that you find the content "not entertaining"? Plenty to read on fishraider and everyone has different interests.

@Pickles I have moved this one to Tackle Talk 

My expressed opinion was related to the provided website - not Fishraider forum.

What I meant I would not rely on that website as a technical source of information about line life spans, while their articles still can be used for entertaining purposes.  

I hope that clarifies.    

Gee I'm using line , braid on a bait caster that is the old grey ? fireline . still strong !!  Works well. My alvey? Ha, 35 years old, same as my seascape !!  Tortue !!  Looks and feels good !!   Howard .  My SP rods get the line replaced often as i loose it on snags and it gets too low !!

Hello 

I know it's not recommended but I've been lucky with mono and braid. I normally keep it for at least 5 year and I have never had any issues! It could be just luck! I sometimes cut off 30 odd metres also to keep it fresh haha.

I guess a caveat to this. I care for my rods and reals very well, wash and keep out of the sun while in storage.

thanks

Edited by TunaSickle
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

On 6/14/2021 at 8:16 AM, frankS said:

This thread reminds me to have a look at some of my reels, What I tend to do is start off with an empty spool and wind the line from one reel onto another reel, this recycles the line with the used stuff to the bottom of the spool and the fresh stuff at the top, repeat this for other reels, some of my reels have had the same line on for 15+  years and still very usable . Some however need to be changed.

Frank

hey mate this might be a stupid question but if you spool your line onto a norther reel so the fresh line is at the top of the reel. are you not worried about a fish stripping line down to the bad stuff ...i know it wont happen but just came to mind  

I replace line when it gets too low on the spool to cast efficiently. I tend to buy my mono (Platypus Pretest) in 1000m spools, so I can usually fill 2 smaller reels with it but not the game reels, which use 600-700m. I keep what’s left but I can’t really use it as leader material because I use flouro line (not flourocarbon - the yellow flouro). I basically just use it for a 50-100cm breakaway line between braid and leader to meet ANSA regs. I have a bunch of spools of braid with not enough left on them to fill a reel, or even provide a decent top shot, so I guess that will have to go to waste. 🤷‍♂️