Kurnell Rocks quiet (Rock Cale)

Richard2q2

Question

Went out to the Kurnell rocks to target some luderick with a blackfish float setup. Many other fishermen present, only 1 or 2 fish caught in the span of 3-4 hours.

While I didn't catch any luderick, I was able to catch these 2 fish. 

Anyone have any idea what these fish are? Cheers. 

fish strange.jpg

Edited by Richard2q2
repeated myself
  • Like 1

15 answers to this question

Known locally as Rock Cale they are commonly referred to as "Cockies" or "Birds" no good on the plate but very good bait. Luderick fishers commonly catch them when the float is really close in to the rocks. They commonly surf a swell up onto the edges of rock platforms, grab some weed or cabbage and "drop" back over the edge. Some locations have masses of them

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard2q2 said:

Went out to the Kurnell rocks to target some luderick with a blackfish float setup. Many other fishermen present, only 1 or 2 fish caught in the span of 3-4 hours.

While I didn't catch any luderick, I was able to catch these 2 fish. 

Anyone have any idea what these fish are? Cheers. 

fish strange.jpg

Just as an advisory. 

If you are not sure what the said species is, it is wise not to keep and dispatch them. For one, you then do not know if they are of legal size limit under DPI rules or a protected species. 
Then, you don’t know if they are poisonous to eat! 
For future reference try checking DPI SALTWATER SIZE AND BAG LIMITS. 

Regards scratchie mod team 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Just as an advisory. 

If you are not sure what the said species is, it is wise not to keep and dispatch them. For one, you then do not know if they are of legal size limit under DPI rules or a protected species. 
Then, you don’t know if they are poisonous to eat! 
For future reference try checking DPI SALTWATER SIZE AND BAG LIMITS. 

Regards scratchie mod team 

Thanks for the heads up. I'm aware that if the fish is not listed on the DPI saltwater fish list then it is assumed that you are able to keep a maximum of 20 with no legal size limit. Doesn't hurt to try the fish once :D

1 hour ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Known locally as Rock Cale they are commonly referred to as "Cockies" or "Birds" no good on the plate but very good bait. Luderick fishers commonly catch them when the float is really close in to the rocks. They commonly surf a swell up onto the edges of rock platforms, grab some weed or cabbage and "drop" back over the edge. Some locations have masses of them

Good bait? What fish would you be targeting if you use rock cale as bait? Would it be like a strip bait type of bait?

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by Richard2q2
typo

I remember a recipe for rock cockies a while back, not sure if it was posted here or in another forum. 

It goes something like this:

1. Sauté 1 chopped onion, 2 cloves of garlic and a small piece of ginger in some clarified butter.

2. Add to 500ml fish stock and 1 can of coconut cream and bring to the boil.

3. Gut, scale and cut the rock cockies into large chunks (think curry pieces)

4. Add the rock cockies as well as an old piece of leather to the now fragrant broth (important that the leather is added!).

5. Boil for 45mins (or until the leather begins to feel tender).

6. Add 1 stalk of lemongrass, 1 tsp tumeric and 1tsp of chilli flakes to the broth to finish the curry.

7. Meanwhile, steam 1 cup of jasmine rice 

8. Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove the rock cocky pieces from the pot (it is important that no pieces of rock cocky are left behind in the curry or it will ruin the dish), set these aside.

9. Serve the now tender leather curry over the steamed jasmine rice, you can try feed the rock cocky to the cat but its best thrown away. 

VOILA!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hi,

On the identification of the fish you have caught, they look to me like rock cale. Eastern kelp fish and wirrahs are different species. 

If you are catching cale you are in the right spot for targeting luderick. 

Some days you catch a few cale but in my experience I’ve never found them in big numbers. 

KB

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SquidMarks said:

I remember a recipe for rock cockies a while back, not sure if it was posted here or in another forum. 

It goes something like this:

1. Sauté 1 chopped onion, 2 cloves of garlic and a small piece of ginger in some clarified butter.

2. Add to 500ml fish stock and 1 can of coconut cream and bring to the boil.

3. Gut, scale and cut the rock cockies into large chunks (think curry pieces)

4. Add the rock cockies as well as an old piece of leather to the now fragrant broth (important that the leather is added!).

5. Boil for 45mins (or until the leather begins to feel tender).

6. Add 1 stalk of lemongrass, 1 tsp tumeric and 1tsp of chilli flakes to the broth to finish the curry.

7. Meanwhile, steam 1 cup of jasmine rice 

8. Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove the rock cocky pieces from the pot (it is important that no pieces of rock cocky are left behind in the curry or it will ruin the dish), set these aside.

9. Serve the now tender leather curry over the steamed jasmine rice, you can try feed the rock cocky to the cat but its best thrown away. 

VOILA!!!

Rock Cockies ! 

The Australian slango never ceases to impress 😆

Its rock cale (Aplodactylus lophodon)  and not eastern kelpfish (Chironemus marmoratus). They are two different species. I have tried both eastern kelpfish taste pretty bad unless served with strong flavour to mask.

On the other hand rock cale doesnt taste bad at all, i had it in hotpot so not much flavoring added to it.