I made a fillet knife for a mates 50th.

Fab1

Fab. Looking great mate. I have a few old saws down in the sheds but I also have knives everywhere, but it does give me an idea to do something along the same lines.

Your buddy is spoilt and he will be pleasantly surprised I'm sure.

Frank

5 minutes ago, frankS said:

Fab. Looking great mate. I have a few old saws down in the sheds but I also have knives everywhere, but it does give me an idea to do something along the same lines.

Your buddy is spoilt and he will be pleasantly surprised I'm sure.

Frank

Cheers mate.Looking forward to seeing what you do.

• Like 1

Top stuff Fabian! 
Now I don’t know if to praise you or to berate you. I’ve spent last two days cleaning up my workshop and everything I pick up to throw out just gets moved around as it looks like a project - and now you go and add another few ideas !!!  Aaargh. 
Anyway, keep it up- it beats ping pong. 
cheers Zoran 

14 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Thats fantastic, what a gift to give.

Cheers mate.

51 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Amazing work @Fab1 as usual

Thanks Donna.

40 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Top stuff Fabian! 
Now I don’t know if to praise you or to berate you. I’ve spent last two days cleaning up my workshop and everything I pick up to throw out just gets moved around as it looks like a project - and now you go and add another few ideas !!!  Aaargh. 
Anyway, keep it up- it beats ping pong. 
cheers Zoran 

😂😂😂 I've thrown out bits and bobs I haven't touched for 20yrs before.Guess what I was looking for a week or two later at times?

If you need tips on how to move crap from one corner of the shed to the other and back I'll send my father inlaw over.He,s a maestro at it.

Also if you need a hammer or pair of pliers I'll knock one off from him as he won't notice as at last count he had 27 different hammers and 14 pairs of pliers.😂🤣

He's 81 now and doesn't do anything and keeps trying to make me take his tools that would put total tools and Sydney tools to shame.

I told him if I take his tools I'd need to live with his daughter in the gutter as I'd fill my shed, backyard,house and front yard with tools.Half of it would be hammers and pliers.😉

• Haha 2

I love seeing people make "stuff" is that kind of saw steel OK for a knife? I have a friend that used to make timber landing nets for Trout fishermen, it would take him about a month or two to make one, and I guess in a way, they are not meant to be used, but the craftsmanship was astounding

5 hours ago, Rebel said:

Looks great. Welcome back.

Thanks mate.I have been lurking here and there every now and again.

5 hours ago, noelm said:

I love seeing people make "stuff" is that kind of saw steel OK for a knife? I have a friend that used to make timber landing nets for Trout fishermen, it would take him about a month or two to make one, and I guess in a way, they are not meant to be used, but the craftsmanship was astounding

It's ideal as it's already hardened,thin,flexible and you can sharpen it like a surgeon's scalpel.

It is very much a tool to be used.

You can sharpen anything to cut but it's how whatever you sharpen keeps an edge and how durable it is.

Saw blades sharpen great and are very durable.

Those nets I think you'll find were made to be used also.

3 hours ago, BigHorse said:

Looks amazing! Would love it if one of my mates makes me one of those. Just wonder how long it took you from start to finish? Looks high quality👍

Thank you.

About 4hrs inbetween dart throws. To give you an idea about 1.5 hours if you are organised and use power tools like belt sanders,grinders etc to finish the blade and handle.

I only used the grinder to cut the rough shape of the blade out and finished the entire knife by hand using a file,sand paper,chisel,rasp,oil stone and a drill to drill the 3 holes in handle.

Power tools are great...but there's something extra special for me doing things by hand to test your skills and keep them up to scratch.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, savit said:

Great project result! What is the final length? Did you consider 2 man saw?

Thank you.Blade is about 6 inches as that's what he was telling me he wants to try to get.

You can make one however long and wide you want as long as you have material bigger than final knife finish.

No I didn't think about 2 man.

20210616_150252.jpg

• Like 2