Rail-mounted rod holders

Remote River Man

My new Polycraft Drifter 4.5 will only come with two rod holders in the back, so I'm looking to add 4 more along the sides. The easiest option seems to be the ones that clamp right onto the side grab rails (saves drilling into the Polyethylene). Does anyone have any advice on which ones to buy, or experience/comments on any rail-mount rod holders they like? I've seen some that are basically thick stainless steel wire, that clamp right around the cylindrical side rail: https://www.whitworths.com.au/deck-tech-stainless-steel-adjustable-rail-mount-rod-holder-25mm 

Any advice welcome.

My advice is be careful.   There is nothing more frustrating than having a squid smash a live squid only for the rod holder to spin on the rail and your king outfit disappearing into the depths. 

1 hour ago, Welster said:

My advice is be careful.   There is nothing more frustrating than having a squid smash a live squid only for the rod holder to spin on the rail and your king outfit disappearing into the depths. 

Must be a strong squid or the rod holder is made of cotton.😉

• Haha 2

I use tube type holders mounted to the rails of my quinnie when jew fishing and when trolling to get a bit more lure spread.  Dont be afraid to tighten allen screws to the point where the holders bight into the tubing.  I have caught kings, big striped tuna and had a couple of marlin hook ups with no sign of holders moving on tubes. 

Only issues I have had was damaging them when I forgot about them coming alongside wharves and clipped the posts.   Ron 

I bought cheap rail mount rod holders from o'seas in the same style as the Berkeley etc (funny that). Great for trout but near useless in the bluewater as they do not hold their position under load and slip down. Almost lost some expensive gear.

I like the rail mount system but would spend the money & buy the best gear like Scotties etc.

Good luck. Hoods