Fishing diary

Little_Flatty

You can get as technical as you want and have all the data in the world. But if the fish don’t want to bite that day then there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. I don’t believe in the almanacs. The best chance you have is to be on the water. Yes there are some crucial factors in targeting certain species but there is just soooooo many variables that no app, data can compare to time on the water! 
Just  my opinion 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 4

Scratchie's on the money.

Sometimes it's an intuitive thing, you just know that the fish will be on. That being said, I do believe that intuition is informed by years of experience. Honestly, sometimes it just smells fishy. Just recently I had been checking a local possie on a daily basis but did not fish it for weeks then one day it just felt like it was going to happen. And it did. No-one had been catching any fish there for some time.

But time of year, wind. possie and tide are my basic go to criteria to determine what I'll fish for on any given day and where I will go to find them. Like Scratchie says above, you can make things way too complicated and still miss out. Keeping It Simple Stupid is a good way to go.

KB

Edited by Koalaboi
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Scratchie said:

You can get as technical as you want and have all the data in the world. But if the fish don’t want to bite that day then there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. I don’t believe in the almanacs. The best chance you have is to be on the water. Yes there are some crucial factors in targeting certain species but there is just soooooo many variables that no app, data can compare to time on the water! 
Just  my opinion 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Agree with that opinion.

• Like 2

Totally agree that the best time to go fishing is whenever you can get on the water :D 

I guess since becoming less able to leave home on a whim and getting fewer opportunities to fish, I develop weird ways of entertaining myself and this is one of them!

Speaking of which, I think a local pre-work session is on the cards in the morning ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

If you already use Google Calendars to run your schedule, create a fishin calendar and log yer trips there

Have them repeat annually.  Most interesting fish move around depending on season... so annual calendar is great.  Lets you add in memory-triggering details like "Gavin caught eel."  Attach your tracking maps,  photos, tide tables as you wish... just in case you forget the trip when Gavin caught the sliming and biting eel. Simple, free, effective, records donuts and reminds you to get out fishing.  Outlasts apps. And probably you too.

• Thanks 1