Black bream (sooty grunter) fun in the Kimberley

Remote River Man

Back in 2010, I packrafted down the King Edward River in the Kimberley, and caught lots of sooty grunter along the way. I believe it was the first major solo packrafting expedition ever conducted in Australia - I was completely alone for about a month, and loved every minute of it; all sorts of people paddle up that way now.

Sooty grunter are incredibly aggressive up there - I normally used a one-inch metal spoon on a handline, but I reckon just about any shiny lure would do. Rarely waited more than 30 seconds for a hook up. No cleaning, no gutting, just straight on the coals and then straight in the stomach. Deep freshwater pools with lots of pandanus roots and shady water lily cover seem to hide the biggest ones. Most reliable source of protein for the hungry explorer....

• Like 5

I caught a few in W.A. when over there a few years ago. Some were in very small creeks, a few feet deep, and they were waiting at the bottom of small waterfalls, just drop into the water and hook up. Reasonable eating as well.