Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning, up from Lilli Pilli. Bait was pillies, fish strips and squid strips. Pulled out 5 legal reddies, biggest at 35cm so not big ones, just plate size. (something wrong with the photo, so no photo to see)

Burleyed away and it attracted dozens of small chinamen jackets, chewing off the baits and a few hooks. If the reddies were quick enough, they chewed on the bait before the jackets turned up. 2 of the jackets big enough to keep, the others not worth the effort.

I put out 2 livies, and the jackets chewed them up, one was left with the tail and backbone.

A few good fish jumping about, but always out of casting distance, so I eventually up-anchor to chase them, again staying out of casting distance. Looked like tailor, salmon and a couple of bigger splashes like kingies, but the fish were rather scattered.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Good to see you out and about Yowie. There has been a good run of jackets over the last month ! Driving ppl mad

These are not too big, though, you would need to eat half a dozen or more every day to try and reduce the numbers. 🤣 

Burley just brings them to the boat like a school of pirahna. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You always come up with a feed. Good to know there are still a few legal reddies in the Hacking.  The grandkids will be happy to catch them and the chinamen jackets in the school holidays. 

I fished at SWRocks the long weekend for reasonable  blackfish but only found 1 flathead in the river. Using this weather to do some painting, chase the fish next week.

17 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

You always come up with a feed. Good to know there are still a few legal reddies in the Hacking.  The grandkids will be happy to catch them and the chinamen jackets in the school holidays. 

I fished at SWRocks the long weekend for reasonable  blackfish but only found 1 flathead in the river. Using this weather to do some painting, chase the fish next week.

Not big reddies but legal and on the plate.

While you need to send out a bit of burley, it just brings on the jackets.

Still some blackfish cruising about the Hacking, so you can try them here if you wish to. Also a few whiting as well, the bigger ones have the dark noses.