Rock Fishing Rods

ICDumplingman

Hello there, I’m new here and couldn’t find the exact thread for Rock/ Beach fishing rod selection.

I want to get either the Penn Prevail or Daiwa Sandstorm… but I have no idea which one. I think I’m going to go for a ten footer and if you guys have any other suggestions for better rods, pls let me know. My budget is about $100-$220. 

I’m going to be casting lures for salmon and tailor but also fishing bait for luderick, drummer and grouper. Preferably, I would like to cast lures about 30g-80g. Usually just 40g- 60g though. 

I’ve settled on the Penn Spinfisher VI reel, probs 5000 or 5500. Any other suggestions pls let me know. 

I'd rather be buying  2-3 cheaper rods  within the total budget (EOFY sales are coming soon) for the listed purposes instead of 1 rod that supposed to handle from luderick  to grouper and casting 30-80g lures  on top of it. Or, would just choose 1 designed for the purpose that has priority at the moment.

It is not a saving to get  1 rod for everytning as in best case it will do 1 thing well. Same applies to reels.

• Like 2

I’ve never heard of Daiwa Over There rod, but it must be one of the newer rods. I think it’s a little bit out of my budget so I might save some money to buy it!😁 anyway, won’t be fishing anytime soon due to COVID striking back again. As @savit said, the EOFY sale is coming up so I might wait to see what good offers I might find. Thanks y’all🙏

14 hours ago, ICDumplingman said:

Alright, I’ll check it out!! I’m only a beginner when it comes to rock fishing with lures… do you guys have any lures you won’t fish without or locations you reckon would be safe and great for beginners?

PaddyT has just completed a 4 part write up on "Throwing/Chuckin' Metal" that you can access in the Library section of this forum, which has some terrific info on what you're seeking.

Just open "Articles" at the top of the Library, scroll down and you'll find them. Well worth reading if you haven't already.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

PaddyT has just completed a 4 part write up on "Throwing/Chuckin' Metal" that you can access in the Library section of this forum, which has some terrific info on what you're seeking.

Just open "Articles" at the top of the Library, scroll down and you'll find them. Well worth reading if you haven't already.

https://www.fishraider.com.au/forum/99-articles/  thanks @Green Hornet

Here is the link and lots of reading in there in the great Articles fishraiders have written. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm coming in a bit late on this so you may have already made your purchase.

I have a Penn Prevail 9' heavy action and absolutely love it for rock spinning for tailor, salmon and bonito. I use a 4000 Daiwa Sol and 20lb line. You can throw a 60gm metal with this outfit all day with minimal effort and its got plenty of beef to handle the fish during the fight and lift them up the rocks. My son has the same rod (different reel) and has caught a few reasonable (legal) kings with it off the rocks . 

As another Raider said you won't find a single rod that is suited to both luderick and groper, but for rock spinning the Prevail is great.

Cheers

Fil 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/23/2021 at 6:37 PM, ICDumplingman said:

Hello there, I’m new here and couldn’t find the exact thread for Rock/ Beach fishing rod selection.

I want to get either the Penn Prevail or Daiwa Sandstorm… but I have no idea which one. I think I’m going to go for a ten footer and if you guys have any other suggestions for better rods, pls let me know. My budget is about $100-$220. 

I’m going to be casting lures for salmon and tailor but also fishing bait for luderick, drummer and grouper. Preferably, I would like to cast lures about 30g-80g. Usually just 40g- 60g though. 

I’ve settled on the Penn Spinfisher VI reel, probs 5000 or 5500. Any other suggestions pls let me know. 

Daiwa sandstorm 106mh good casting rod or daiwa seabass 11mh about $199.00 seajiggers are good but dearer make sure you buy a daiwa you will  not regret it.

On 6/25/2021 at 4:39 PM, ICDumplingman said:

I’ve never heard of Daiwa Over There rod, but it must be one of the newer rods. I think it’s a little bit out of my budget so I might save some money to buy it!😁 anyway, won’t be fishing anytime soon due to COVID striking back again. As @savit said, the EOFY sale is coming up so I might wait to see what good offers I might find. Thanks y’all🙏

Nice looking rod Alex bellissimo  uses one will be the next one I will buy sexy rod had a look at one a a shop nice and light but has good power.

If you happen to buy a Dawia Seabass, take your reel with you. I bought one and the reel wouldn't fit. Don't know if the rod was faulty but I returned it for credit and bought a Prevail 2 10'6''. I am glad I did. Great rod on the rocks. I have a Jarvis Walker 6000 Boss reel on it with 15lb Exage Mono line.

Jarvis Walker gave me the reel to try out. It is a light weight reel, smaller then your average 6000. Has 15kg drag. Great reel.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel

• 1 year later...