A cracking day on the reefs

Newport Nuffy

Headed out this morning with my son and one of his mates with a plan to fish Longie and maybe some flathead on the way home.  Got ourselves half a dozen yellow tail livies on the way past Barrenjoey Heads and made good time down to an empty Long Reef.  Had a great couple of hours with Kings hitting baits and jigs, snapper and a good size sea bream.  Probably caught 20 plus kings, but again not the elusive "keeper".  But, lots of fun. 

Then went to our usual flathead grounds.....seems today was a kindergarten day as out of probably 40 flathead caught, only one was worth keeping at about 45cm.  On the run back we decided to stop at a GPS mark from the previous owner of the boat and then it really came together!  Started with a few snapper, then the salmon came through and then we got hit by a school of Barracuda which cost us two jigs and a paternoster rig but we did get one to the side of the boat before releasing it. Thought we would catch a few of the livies to run the downrigger and ended up catching a Kingie on the sabiki rig!!  We estimate we boated over 100 fish today between the three of us!

Photo is of what i think is a Sea Bream....can anyone confirm?

6B34115D-FB53-45E4-98AD-C96C7DC94B35_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.54b84d72135065b107192635edcd0dfa.jpeg

Was an awesome day!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Newport Nuffy said:

Headed out this morning with my son and one of his mates with a plan to fish Longie and maybe some flathead on the way home.  Got ourselves half a dozen yellow tail livies on the way past Barrenjoey Heads and made good time down to an empty Long Reef.  Had a great couple of hours with Kings hitting baits and jigs, snapper and a good size sea bream.  Probably caught 20 plus kings, but again not the elusive "keeper".  But, lots of fun. 

Then went to our usual flathead grounds.....seems today was a kindergarten day as out of probably 40 flathead caught, only one was worth keeping at about 45cm.  On the run back we decided to stop at a GPS mark from the previous owner of the boat and then it really came together!  Started with a few snapper, then the salmon came through and then we got hit by a school of Barracuda which cost us two jigs and a paternoster rig but we did get one to the side of the boat before releasing it. Thought we would catch a few of the livies to run the downrigger and ended up catching a Kingie on the sabiki rig!!  We estimate we boated over 100 fish today between the three of us!

Photo is of what i think is a Sea Bream....can anyone confirm?

6B34115D-FB53-45E4-98AD-C96C7DC94B35_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.54b84d72135065b107192635edcd0dfa.jpeg

Was an awesome day!

Nice. Gotta love a good reef bash. Wed love to see a photo of the catch.

Re above. That is a morwong. Depending on who you ask they are OK to eat. But i think theyre terrible on the plate

Thanks GF....out of the haul, only kept 6 as I only ever take what i ant to eat for the next week or two.  So, no brag photo today! When I finally get that Kingie that comes home with me, I will definitely post it.  The Barracuda scared the you know what out of us, so no time to get a photo of that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

That is a morwong. Depending on who you ask they are OK to eat. But i think theyre terrible on the plate

Ask me, they taste like crap.  :074:

Sounds like a good day out regardless.

Edited by Yowie

Morwong can be OK to eat, some do have a strong kind of Iodine smell/taste, but most are OK, the Sea Bream you mention is a similar looking fish, (yet very different) but much better eating, Sweep are also commonly often called Sea Bream, but there is only one Sea Bream, commonly called a "Jackass Morwong"

• 3 weeks later...

Eating the Mowie is all about how you prep it - dont scale it just fillet and skin it, cut the gut line out and you will have a really nice clean fillet - simple cooking is best crack an egg in a bowl squeeze some fresh lemon in with the egg give it a good beating then dunk your fillets in the egg mix then dip in Krummies bread crumbs then shallow fry in olive oil - tastes great - with some nice hand cut chips twice cooked and a good old greek salad and crisp glass of chardonnay.