Winter fishing

nal

Has anyone been catching Much land based recently? I feel like the cooler water has made the fish less active or just non existent, for me at least.

Has anyone caught anything half decent around Sydney’s middle harbour area?

I find during winter, fish are much harder work, but generally much bigger than the summer "schooling" fish. Whiting are one example, most summer fish are just over legal, but, during winter (especially at night) they can get quite big, last week I got 5 really good ones, on live Nippers in the most unlikely place (I have caught them there before) Bream can be the same, less of them, but much bigger, you just have to work for them, just turning up in the middle of the day with a packet of Prawns will probably result in a few Toads and other undesirables. Some species are better in winter, Tailor off the beach are pretty easy winter fishing.

I agree with Noelm above that winter can be great for big whiting, especially at night using live nippers or worms.  Last winter was my worst for some reason but previous years a normal night was up to 14 fish between 36 and 43mm.  Daytimes I tend to chase fish less and chase squid more with the occasional try for John Dory or Hairtail.   

I keep thinking about going out to Browns mountain to try deep dropping but find the thought of going past the 12 mile a bit daunting.   Ron 

I went out on friday arvo and yesterday before lockdown started and got 2 good sized bream over 25cm a flounder and a 45cm flaty, got some good hits, but couldn't land them. Got some small taylor as well