Protective covers for lures/hooks?

Remote River Man

Just wondered what other Fishraiders use to cover up their protruding lures/hooks to avoid snagging the car upholstery, or their own limbs when storing rods on their boat. I've seen some clear plastic, velcro-fastened rectangular lure covers that are about 8 inches long on eBay, and some Youtube videos that recommend just whacking a short piece of flexible pipe insulation tube around them, slit along one side (slit pool noodles are a bit bulky). I'm sure there are some ridiculously expensive options out there, but I'm looking for a cheap, fairly simple solution if one exists. Punctured knee caps (or higher) are no fun, I'd guess.

Any photos of your go-to lure covers most welcome...

When it comes to lures, just use a fast clip with or without a swivel and leave lures off until you clip them on to fish.

With a bit of care you should be able to keep bait hooks clear of hooking up.  Ron

I find cheapest and easiest way is also the very simplest.

Just get some packaging foam and cut into triangles of various sizes and cut a slit in one side, slide the slit over the shank of the hook and line barbs up with foam and press into hooks. Just keep container handy to hold foams in when lure is in use.

IMG20210630143009.thumb.jpg.f318c6fec6b1aa04cb851647406565d6.jpg

IMG20210630142857.thumb.jpg.c65db09b07ddd6c7b9d4595a19ab449f.jpg

Can't get much cheaper than this.

Frank

• Like 3

Yes I use the plastic velcro covers similar to these both in the car & on the boat on rods that are rigged & not being used while in rocket launchers etc.

Saves the lure banging into the rod constantly while under way, especially metal jigs!

They are cheap as chips, usually 4 for $10

1695409685_Lurecover.thumb.jpg.348b8844bf6572048ba6f3ff5bea4aff.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, savit said:

Interesting. Where?

Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fishing-Lure-Wraps-4-Pack-Clear-PVC-Lure-Covers-11x21cm-with-Fishing-Hook-Keeper-/384240861094?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0

There is different makes, sizes, quality etc so it's to you what you spend.

If you want to spend $20-30 each just to have matching Daiwa version you can 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Daiwa-Protective-Fishing-Lure-Wrap-Size-Large-/183839284444?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0

Call me cheap but the $2.50 ones do the same job 😉

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Cheap option is treble covers and a hairclip. (My house is full of girls so plenty of clips). Use hairclip to hold lure onto rod.

I think I consider is cheap cause there's plenty of hairclips lying around my house, unsure as to the price of a hairclip if I were to go out and buy one.

14 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Interesting. Do you know if these are worm proof? As in will they withstand holding in an sp for any length of time?

10 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Interesting. Do you know if these are worm proof? As in will they withstand holding in an sp for any length of time?

Not sure what worm proof is??

How long will they last, not sure but hey at $10 for 4 they are worth a go right??

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Not sure what worm proof is??

How long will they last, not sure but hey at $10 for 4 they are worth a go right??

Worm proof = can tolerate an SP in it.

For instance, put a Z-man into a takeaway box and after a few days, it will likely melt through.

8 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Worm proof = can tolerate an SP in it.

For instance, put a Z-man into a takeaway box and after a few days, it will likely melt through.

I have not tested for that, but the cover is only on there for transport & while underway on the boat.

I usually take it off when I get home.

I have had plastics melt together when I have mixed then in a tackle box but never heard of one melting plastic, didnt think they were corrosive? 

So in short I dont have an answer to that

24 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

I have not tested for that, but the cover is only on there for transport & while underway on the boat.

I usually take it off when I get home.

I have had plastics melt together when I have mixed then in a tackle box but never heard of one melting plastic, didnt think they were corrosive? 

So in short I dont have an answer to that

No worries, makes sense. I guess if it isn't on for long, it isn't really a problem.

Pretty much every tackle box is worm proof and is marketed as such.

7 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

No worries, makes sense. I guess if it isn't on for long, it isn't really a problem.

Pretty much every tackle box is worm proof and is marketed as such.

Once a small (2 inch) SP melted a hole in my tackle box. Since that time I keep SP in plastic bags - normal SP in normal/sandwich bags, Zman in original Zman bags, and no issues.

• Like 1