Flushing muffs

Bloggsy

I am trying to find the best possible outboard flushing muffs. I do flush my outboard in a container but then I flush with salt away through the muffs, but I am yet to find any that seal really good.

Can any one recommend a brand that they have found suitable. They are for a DF175 Suzuki, I would like bigger and softer rubbers if possible. 

Look for the ones with a hose inlet on both sides, (or make your own out of two sets) and the stainless metal  entire piece ones seem better sealing than the cheap black Chinese ones.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, noelm said:

Look for the ones with a hose inlet on both sides, (or make your own out of two sets) and the stainless metal  entire piece ones seem better sealing than the cheap black Chinese ones.

@noelmjust a question, if its allowable to answer on the forum. You mentioned to use stainless steel entire piece flusher. I've been trying to find them for ages and all I can find is the cheap black chinese variety, it seems that's what most places sell, just at different prices of course. Can you tell me where I might find these quality dual flow models? 

Thanks

Dave   

I got mine (a couple of years ago) from my local dealer, try a proper boat shop, they might have them listed in a catalogue, the stainless is way stronger and keeps the cups tight on the water intake, the cheap ones are OK if you keep squeezing them together, but the stainless ones stay tight. To make a double sided flusher, just buy another set and remove the hose side cup, and fit it to your other set, then get some hose fittings and make up a Y to feed both sides.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

I got mine (a couple of years ago) from my local dealer, try a proper boat shop, they might have them listed in a catalogue, the stainless is way stronger and keeps the cups tight on the water intake, the cheap ones are OK if you keep squeezing them together, but the stainless ones stay tight. To make a double sided flusher, just buy another set and remove the hose side cup, and fit it to your other set, then get some hose fittings and make up a Y to feed both sides.

Thanks for that, maybe I'll make up a set as you suggested,  as the local dealer sells the rubbish ones unfortunately.

On 7/4/2021 at 7:09 PM, Mullatt said:

Thanks for that, maybe I'll make up a set as you suggested,  as the local dealer sells the rubbish ones unfortunately.

I have ordered a set of muffs that have a stainless frame and the cups are made from rubber not plastic. There is only one inlet but if they seal o/k I can't see that being a problem and we don't have very high water pressure here any way and the sealing is the biggest issue.

I will post when they arrive and I have had a chance to use them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bloggsy said:

I have ordered a set of muffs that have a stainless frame and the cups are made from rubber not plastic. There is only one inlet but if they seal o/k I can't see that being a problem and we don't have very high water pressure here any way and the sealing is the biggest issue.

I will post when they arrive and I have had a chance to use them.

Thanks, I'll be interested to see how they go.

Tried out the new muffs, whilst not a perfect seal the cups are soft rubber and do seal better than my other ones. You always have loss of water through the prop and other vents in the leg any way so as long as you have a reasonable stream from the tell tale I believe that is enough. The frame is only just long enough to fit my 175 Suzuki so that is something to watch out for.

They were bought from Hunt's Marine.

Muff 1.jpg

Muff 2.jpg

Muff 3.jpg

Muff 4.jpg

Muff 5.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/4/2021 at 5:09 PM, noelm said:

Thanks for the advice Noelm, I did what you suggested and made up my own. Works perfectly and has a much stronger flow from the telltale now with dual flush. cheers

• Like 1

Yeah, I think the single side just can't provide the volume of water, but you make a hose inlet on both sides and it's so much better, you just sacrifice a set to make a decent one, then a few dollars worth of plastic hose fittings, a Y piece, two clip on ends and some hose, job done.

Edited by noelm

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Yeah, I think the single side just can't provide the volume of water, but you make a hose inlet on both sides and it's so much better, you just sacrifice a set to make a decent one, then a few dollars worth of plastic hose fittings, a Y piece, two clip on ends and some hose, job done.

yep was simple and effective. Thanks again

On 7/9/2021 at 8:21 AM, shakey55 said:

Bought a pair of the dual flush, seal so much better than my old single sided ones, $28 well worth it

Might be time to give it a lockdown flush to keep it all lubed up 

46D60192-79F3-4ABA-BF38-962236A1668F.jpeg

21663C30-E776-4767-9C7C-D63A3D1AE78E.jpeg

Edited by jeffb5.8

Every pair of those dual flush muffs has let me down. They break at the connecters and the plastic (not rubber) muffs soon crack and don't seal well. The single rubber ones with stainless metal last for years and have yet to let me down.

image.thumb.jpg.41381853fd91207130cd61c5f8e4d4f5.jpg

The cups on mine are definitely rubber. The spring is ssteel painted black. 
They were purchased from the 3 letter boating shop starting with B. Think they are the Blueline brand. 
I’ve had these since July last year when I repowered. 
The old muffs were 15yo and went with the old motor - they seemed identical to these new muffs that’s why I bought them. 
cheers Zoran 

As you can see I have several to choose from.

I have the same as Zoran but I prefer my custom made using 2 hoses .

Maybe Jon is saying that the plastic pipes crack? My twin pipe are rubber muffs but plastic pipes.237164555_Flushingmuffs.thumb.jpg.a1e81d44f3beb16f8b757f296b481ddd.jpg