Bought a used spinning reel that has 100lb monofilament on it. Should I throw away or try to use the line.

Offtherockss

I bought a used spinfisher VI 10500 and the previous owner had 100lb mono on it. I have never seen anyone put anything more than 50lb for mono lines on a spinning reel...  have no idea what the previous owner was using this for.

I just want to ask: can I even cast long distances with line this thick? Also worrried about line capacity even for this massive reel.

The line is actually in a very good condition. But should I swap it out for 40-50lb monofilament? 

Hi Offtherocks NOBODY can utilise line that thick/strong on a spinning reel for casting. Keep it for trace if you ever go outside.

If using mono for casting, about 30lb is the thickest you would ever need, and that is for throwing heavy metals and really large live bait.

What are you targeting to use such heavy stuff for?

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Offtherockss said:

I am planning to cast livies out in the surf and use on the rocks to target grouper etc. 

As @wazatherfishermansaid 15kg is plenty for what you're chasing.

Off the beach you'll be able to handle everything that swims, bar perhaps extra large sharks and rays and line any heavier will severely restrict your casting distance.

Assuming you're using a longish rod (3 metres plus) off the rocks, even if you're built like a tank there's no way you'll bust 15kg through the rod. 

• Like 1

Wazza is on the money with 100lb mono. When I used to fish the beach, I usually used 15lb and never used above 20lb (light for casting and able to handle most fish - for tailor I use ganged 4/0s. Mind you, 30 years ago Tortue and Platypus (my favourite mono’s back then) were thicker than now.

• Like 1

Many years ago, I used 100 pound mono handline to pull up kingies on a charter boat around Lord Howe Island. :fish_h4h:

Apart from that, skull draging up kingies with that reel.

As others suggested, 30 pound mono (and buy a brand that is very thin for it's breaking strength) would be maximum, or go to braid.

7 hours ago, Offtherockss said:

I am planning to cast livies out in the surf and use on the rocks to target grouper etc. 

Hi again Offtherockss 15kg line is more realistic for what you want to do and even a bit too thick for casting any distance anywhere, however, if Groper are your intended target then it would be adequate. Fishing from beaches, 9-10kg line is plenty strong enough for even the largest Mulloway, you just play them for a few more minutes!

In the "old scale" 25lb line and over was considered pretty heavy unless you were land based game fishing or chasing giant Blue Groper/Black Drummer in rough terrain, besides, it's FAR more memorable to catch a fish you need to play out (if you intend to keep them) than to try and drag one in on heavy stuff.

Also, once you use line over about 10kg, you'll find that most species become "line-shy" and you'll get considerably less bites, sure, large Groper, Mulloway and sometimes Kingfish don't care, but other species (that you're more likely to catch frequently) will leave a bait alone if your line is too heavy.

Most fishers, unless they're extremely large and strong, can't utilise line over about 15kg from the shore at any rate and casting any distance is difficult if not impossible. 

Thick line also sinks quickly and creates a "belly" that needs to be taken into account when striking a bite, so consider what your "main purpose" for your outfit will be and get the appropriate line strength to match your target species.

• Like 3