Zerek Absolute Shrimp

Eli.Bray14

Hiya Eli,

I’ve been having some success with the zerek live shrimp (which is the smaller weedless version) with a constant slow roll and occasional flick/hop. It’s been performing well on bream in Sydney estuaries last few weeks.

Though I’m a little sour about them at the moment as I lost one tonight, severed at the tail on the first bite after an hour of nothing. 

while it’s not the absolute shrimp specifically, this video covers shrimp lure retrieves a bit more generally and focuses more on a hopping technique.

Give the temperatures at the moment I’m not sure there’s such a thing as too slow a retrieve. Fishing it slowly with small hops or a slow constant roll with occasional hops should see the bites. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Sydney said:

Hiya Eli,

I’ve been having some success with the zerek live shrimp (which is the smaller weedless version) with a constant slow roll and occasional flick/hop. It’s been performing well on bream in Sydney estuaries last few weeks.

Though I’m a little sour about them at the moment as I lost one tonight, severed at the tail on the first bite after an hour of nothing. 

while it’s not the absolute shrimp specifically, this video covers shrimp lure retrieves a bit more generally and focuses more on a hopping technique.

Give the temperatures at the moment I’m not sure there’s such a thing as too slow a retrieve. Fishing it slowly with small hops or a slow constant roll with occasional hops should see the bites. 

Appreciate you!

For bream, try short slow "hops" while wiggling the rod tip. Slow enough that your really dragging your lure across the bottom rather than lifting it and longish 5-10 second pauses.

At this time of year in the cold water, slow, finesse types of retrieves is what's required.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mike Sydney said:

Hiya Eli,

got one on the zerek live, only a small one but thanks for the advice 

A8AB9046-8160-46D1-A046-1CB31D03B164.jpeg

• Like 4