Port Hacking Donut

Isaac Ct

Hi raiders, 

Headed out on the hacking yesterday and had absolutely nothing touch my baits. Tried prawns, pillies, live nippers, worms (king, sand and blood), live poddies, squid and even mullet fillet and all I managed was a couple of pesky leatherjackets and a couple of small snapper. Tried South West Arm, Darks Bay, Gooseberry Bay, Mainbar, Yowie Bay, Gymea Bay, The lilli pilli drop-off and around the RMYC. Has anyone else had similar outcomes over the winter? I've been using 6pound mainline with a 8 pound trace and haven't caught anything!!

Any advice on the hacking in winter is much appreciated!

Cheers, IsaacCT

• Like 1

I had a similar experience out In maianbar just before lockdowns, although I was land based. Tried a range of bait that usually works for me but had no hits, not even a tap.

I put down to the colder water.

I wasn’t even able to grab any poddies in my usual spot - since the water temp has dropped. @Isaac Ct  If you don’t mind sharing where did you get your poddies?

2 minutes ago, fishkent said:

I had a similar experience out In maianbar just before lockdowns, although I was land based. Tried a range of bait that usually works for me but had no hits, not even a tap.

I wasn’t even able to grab any poddies in my usual spot - since the water temp has dropped. @Isaac Ct  If you don’t mind sharing where did you get your poddies?

My friends from grays point go for poddies every week and they always end up with left overs so I get them. I don't know where they get them from but I assume somewhere around grays point like Swallow Rock?

Move onto other species that you can catch more easily during winter ie blackfish and leatherjacket if you want your catch rate to go up. I moved from primarily plastics to getting back into blackfishing and i've done alright

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Hi raiders, 

Headed out on the hacking yesterday and had absolutely nothing touch my baits. Tried prawns, pillies, live nippers, worms (king, sand and blood), live poddies, squid and even mullet fillet and all I managed was a couple of pesky leatherjackets and a couple of small snapper. Tried South West Arm, Darks Bay, Gooseberry Bay, Mainbar, Yowie Bay, Gymea Bay, The lilli pilli drop-off and around the RMYC. Has anyone else had similar outcomes over the winter? I've been using 6pound mainline with a 8 pound trace and haven't caught anything!!

Cheers, IsaacCT

Here's some recent reports

Sounds like you armed yourself with all the right baits & you managed to catch a few fish.

It's a well known fact that winter fishing is harder & highlights how you probably have to get to the right spots at the right tide times to do better over summer where the window would be longer.

Normally you would still catch a heap of under sized squire but sounds like they are even following the stay at home orders.

On 7/10/2021 at 9:54 AM, Isaac Ct said:

Hi raiders, 

Cheers, IsaacCT

yes i,m thinking of targeting luderick or drummer over winter

On 7/12/2021 at 9:46 AM, Isaac Ct said:

This is a report on fishraider about someone who caught and used king worms like me

thank you mate , good to know  new things , (didnt even know that they did grow this big )

On 7/10/2021 at 10:05 AM, fishkent said:

For poddies go down to swallow rock park in grays point. 
Fish off the boat wharf with a very small hook on very light line - I find a hand line works best. No sinker. And bait with very small rolled up balls of white bread.(5mm) or smaller.

First burley up a little with some chicken pellets and small pieces of white bread to attract.

I have also used a clear Perspex poddy trap under/right side of the bridge of the wharf there which also works well. Bait with breadcrumbs and white bread pieces.

I prefer catching them on the hand line as it’s pretty quick once you have the school attracted. 

On 7/10/2021 at 9:54 AM, Isaac Ct said:

Hi raiders, 

Cheers, IsaacCT

fish are on a lockdown

• Haha 1