Grandpa’s Lures and good

jeffb5.8

Hi All

going through cleaning up the garage and came across these in my Wife’s Grand fathers fishing box.

if I polish these up what would I be targeting

Are they for a trolling or cast and retrieve.

7C4AF878-D5F7-45B1-A624-B2813AA66CA7.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like it's hand made which you would expect people to experiment with back in the day, I know my father did similar.

Taylor, pelagics?

I recon you could use it for both trolling & casting but if trolling I'd say you'd need to add a sinker somewhere otherwise it wouldjust skip on top.

I have some different reflective lure sticky tapes that if added to it would probably increase the catch rate.

Good luck.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Hi All

going through cleaning up the garage and came across these in my Wife’s Grand fathers fishing box.

if I polish these up what would I be targeting

Are they for a trolling or cast and retrieve.

7C4AF878-D5F7-45B1-A624-B2813AA66CA7.jpeg

As KC said pelagics - tailor, bonnies, kings, salmon etc

Just check the action before you troll in case it has a preference to spin like a propeller otherwise expect an almighty tangle. 

Making your own metals was all the rage a few decades back. I still have a few I made like the two knife handle ones below that I used off the beach, off rocks and the boat fir the above species  

cheers Zoran 

E1F8A713-15DA-4D6E-B4DF-812127ABFA84.png

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 3

Thanks guys, I remember making lures out of spoons with my Dad.

might try throwing lures in the pool and see how the go and the set up a Rod and give them a go.

hey Zoran I finally weighed the steel blocks I showed for deep drop weights. They are 2.1kg 

Edited by jeffb5.8

10 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

hey Zoran I finally weighed the steel blocks I showed for deep drop weights. They are 2.1kg 

Thanks for thinking of me Jeff. The weight is right on - but even though the block shape is less likely to attract shark bites I fear they will spin too much and tangle everything up. 

I used the COVID lockdown time to finish off a batch a few days back, so with the 12 already kept onboard I hope to have enough for a while.

image.png.05250f07416ec1e6ec3db2e25fc6581b.png

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2