Alvey Luderick Reel - line slipping off lip of spool

jimbo61

Gday fellow fishraiders. I frequently fish Botany Bay and the Georges River for blackfish. My chosen outfit is a Snyder mag bream 126 matched to an Alvey 475A.

My question does not relate to how to catch 'em, where to find 'em, or where to get weed ;)

Simply put, how do my fellow fishos use the outfit when fishing across a wind. The issue I have is line being blown off the spool while drifting your float. Normally this is not a huge problem until you get a down and suddenly realise you cannot turn the spool because you are trying to put coils of line back in place. Short of using an eggbeater, what tips and techniques can you advise.

Cheers

There's a few of ways of getting around this. If the current isn't strong where you fish, run the line up and over your index finger (as though you were feeling for bites) and hand feed the line to suit your drift speed. You can add a light pressure to the spool with your little finger to prevent the spool overrunning.

If you're holding the rod in your right hand and the wind is blowing from your left, simply hold the rod so the reel is horizontal, with the handles facing upward of course.

If the wind is blowing the opposite way and line is getting caught between the backing plate and the reel post, just point the index finger on your rod hand down in a position to prevent the line getting caught.

Other than that try to manage your line without letting it run so loose and keep a bow in it between your rod tip and where it hits the water. The slightest amount of tension will stop it happening altogether.

Another thought that comes to mind is perhaps you may have overfilled the spool?

• Like 4

Thanks Green Hornet. I have tried the index finger method. It does work but tends to interfere with the free turning of the spool when you wish your float to drift as your finger creates drag. As you say you then need to hand feed the line out.

But you do raise a good point about amount of line on the spool. I will definitely look into this as now that i think about it I have way too much for luderick fishing (this reels doubles as a light bream/whiting reel as it can be cast hence the amount of line I have on it)

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi,

I cast left handed but reel in right handed. Hold the bottom grip of your rod in your left armpit with your left hand holding the grip above the reel. The rod tip should be pointing in line with your float. I use my left middle finger to support the line coming off the reel and my right hand feeding line out manually. This is never a problem unless the drift is very fast.

Just the same, line can still come off and slip under the reel but that’s more likely a problem if the spool is spinning too fast. To counter that, ensure the spool is touching your chest and it acts as a brake.

Another cause can be line that is not firmly wound onto the reel so that loops easily pop up and slide off the spool. Be sure when retrieving your float to wind on line with some tension and evenly across the width of the spool.

The other cause for this is being distracted!

KB

Edited by Koalaboi
  • Like 1

Hope this helps you visualise how I hold a Luderick  rod - the line of course is wire so the camera picks it up 

Rod under armpit held between thumb and index finger , line between index finger and middle finger  and then running around ring finger to the spool .

The ring finger stops line from dropping off the back of the spool and is also used to stop the spool spinning on the strike  , the line can be trapped between the middle finger and index finger if needed . Right hand to strip line or spin the spool to pick up any slack line after a mend.
image.thumb.jpg.c486806c80ecdd08550b276fc2e3c5f1.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, XD351 said:

Rod under armpit held between thumb and index finger , line between index finger and middle finger  and then running around ring finger to the spool .

I use this grip as well!  

• 9 months later...
On 7/16/2021 at 10:54 AM, XD351 said:

Hope this helps you visualise how I hold a Luderick  rod - the line of course is wire so the camera picks it up 

The ring finger stops line from dropping off the back of the spool and is also used to stop the spool spinning on the strike  , the line can be trapped between the middle finger and index finger if needed . Right hand to strip line or spin the spool to pick up any slack line after a mend.
image.thumb.jpg.c486806c80ecdd08550b276fc2e3c5f1.jpg

what line are you using on your Alvey?