Battery maintenance reminder

zmk1962

Hey Raiders 

A reminder.

Since many of us are in lockdown it may be a good time to do some basic battery maintenance: check/top up fluid, remove connections, clean the connections and battery posts with something like steel wool and refit. Smother everything with grease - I prefer Vaseline as it’s cleaner to handle. 

AAE1CA31-6982-4254-9C01-212EBC130E87.thumb.jpeg.f87d6a9335570a50e8b53005aec8d553.jpeg

On my last trip I noticed a bit of voltage drop. Just finished maintenance on my 3 batteries and now can see a 0.4V improvement at the helm voltage meter. 

cheers Zoran 

• 1 month later...

Thanks - Good reminder Zoran - I’ve had my batteries (4 on my boat) on charge several times “trickling” over, interestingly, even though they haven’t been used for several months now, there hasn’t been much current drop.

• 3 months later...

I've been putting my batteries on a low amperage charger and connected to a simple power plug timer (pin type) I charge them for 30 minutes every 24 hours. 30 minutes is the shortest time I can set. Battery voltage when not charging seems to be maintained at 12.4V. Any views on this approach?

3 hours ago, Itchin'faFishin' said:

I've been putting my batteries on a low amperage charger and connected to a simple power plug timer (pin type) I charge them for 30 minutes every 24 hours. 30 minutes is the shortest time I can set. Battery voltage when not charging seems to be maintained at 12.4V. Any views on this approach?

What type of battery is it?(deep cycle AGM, lead acid, Gel??) & what are you charging it with??

Im no 12V guru but I thought it was always ideal to keep a battery at near fully charged which is close to 13V.

At 12.4V you are only keeping the battery charged at 75% which imo could reduce its life?

If your using a decent smart charger it will just keep & maintain the battery at the optimum float level & in a non sulphating state.

Sorry, my mistake. The holding battery charge is 12.7V, not 12.4. The 12.7V is the holding voltage about 3 hours after the daily top-up charge has been completed.

One battery is a lead acid deep cycle (for the auxiliary items and lighting) Century 12V 102Ah Deep Cycle Flooded Battery(N70T)and the other is a SuperCharge SeaMaster Gold Marine MF(MFM70) lead acid cranking battery used for nothing other than motor cranking. The deep cycle is charged from the cranking battery through a Voltage Sensitive relay. I plug on a Repco 12V 4.3 A battery charger, which has a full charge cut-out, to the cranking battery.